guns?

Old Mar 7th 2002, 1:37 am
Sam Beck

Default guns?

someone told me it was illlegal to own guns in OZ? is that true? I want to buy some
land in queensland, but I also want to keep my guns as well? any help on those types
of laws? I also would like to meet people who live in queensland now?? any nice
people out there?

Old Mar 7th 2002, 5:08 am
Travis

Default Re: guns?

It is not illegal to own guns in Queensland,but you do have to show you have a
purpose for them ie. for shooting vermin on a farm or for use at a sporting
club.Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns (as well as pump-action) are basically
illegal, unless you can prove you really need it.Pistols (semi-auto and otherwise)
are not illegal,but are usually restricted to gun club members and security guards
etc.-Travis

Sam Beck <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:XRzh8.13701$aP6.15769@rwcrnsc54...
    > someone told me it was illlegal to own guns in OZ? is that true? I want to buy some
    > land in queensland, but I also want to keep my guns as well? any help on those
    > types of laws? I also would like to meet people who live in queensland now?? any
    > nice people out there?

Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:35 am
Sam Beck

are you in queensland?

"Travis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It is not illegal to own guns in Queensland,but you do have to show you have a
    > purpose for them ie. for shooting vermin on a farm or for use at a sporting
    > club.Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns (as well as pump-action) are basically
    > illegal, unless you can prove you really need it.Pistols (semi-auto and otherwise)
    > are not illegal,but are usually restricted to gun club members and security guards
    > etc.-Travis
    >
    > Sam Beck <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:XRzh8.13701$aP6.15769@rwcrnsc54...
    > > someone told me it was illlegal to own guns in OZ? is that true? I want
to
    > > buy some land in queensland, but I also want to keep my guns as well?
any
    > > help on those types of laws? I also would like to meet people who live
in
    > > queensland now?? any nice people out there?

Old Mar 7th 2002, 9:35 am
Travis

Sorry,no,I'm in Victoria. -Travis

Sam Beck <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > are you in queensland?
    >
    >
    > "Travis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It is not illegal to own guns in Queensland,but you do have to show you have a
    > > purpose for them ie. for shooting vermin on a farm or for use at a sporting
    > > club.Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns (as well as pump-action) are basically
    > > illegal, unless you can prove you really need it.Pistols (semi-auto and
    > > otherwise) are not illegal,but are usually restricted to gun club members and
    > > security guards etc.-Travis

Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:05 am
Chris

"Sam Beck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:XRzh8.13701$aP6.15769@rwcrnsc54...
    > someone told me it was illlegal to own guns in OZ? is that true? I want to buy some
    > land in queensland, but I also want to keep my guns as well? any help on those
    > types of laws? I also would like to meet people who live in queensland now?? any
    > nice people out there?

You can own pistols and bolt action rifles. Auto and semi auto rifles are illegal for
the home owner, as are pump action and semi auto shotties.

Oh, rocket launchers are also illegal

Chris

Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:05 am
Chris

> are you in queensland?

The laws are nationwide these days.

Chris

Old Mar 7th 2002, 6:07 pm
Sam Beck

Rocket launches to! man, I dont know guys..Oz is starting to sound alittle scary now
     I live in the states andwe are used to having "play" freedom..meaning we have
rights, but thier not really real. What are tax's like overthere?

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Sam Beck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:XRzh8.13701$aP6.15769@rwcrnsc54...
    > > someone told me it was illlegal to own guns in OZ? is that true? I want
to
    > > buy some land in queensland, but I also want to keep my guns as well?
any
    > > help on those types of laws? I also would like to meet people who live
in
    > > queensland now?? any nice people out there?
    >
    > You can own pistols and bolt action rifles. Auto and semi auto rifles are illegal
    > for the home owner, as are pump action and semi auto shotties.
    >
    > Oh, rocket launchers are also illegal
    >
    > Chris

Old Mar 8th 2002, 12:07 am
Chris

news:zFOh8.8371$eM.3954@sccrnsc02...
    > Rocket launches to! man, I dont know guys..Oz is starting to sound alittle scary
    > now I live in the states andwe are used to having "play" freedom..meaning we
    > have rights, but thier not really real. What are tax's like overthere?

We've got a Goods and Services Tax of 10% (some things are exempt) and our income tax
is progressive, ie: On your first $6,000, there's no tax, on the money you earn in
the $6-20,000 you pay 17% tax, on the money you earn in the $20k-$50,000 you pay 30%,
on the $50-75,000 you earn, you pay 42%, and on if you earn anything over $75,000,
then that part of your salary is taxed at 47%.

The pay offs are very cheap unis, and a pretty generous welfare system.

Chris

Old Mar 8th 2002, 2:37 am
Tim S

Default Taxation in Australia vs the USA - was Re: guns?

>Rocket launches to! man, I dont know guys..Oz is starting to sound alittle scary now
    > I live in the states andwe are used to having "play" freedom..meaning we have
    >rights, but thier not really real. What are tax's like overthere?

Someone already posted the general income tax structure here. Overall, it may be or
may not be the same for you (depends on where you live) in the US.

Eg California v Australia: 10% GST in Oz, applies to pretty much everything. 8.25%
sales tax in Cal but it doesn't apply to services, only goods. Cal also has state
tax. Move to Florida. No state tax. Oz has "rates", Cal has "property tax" but at
least "rates" in Australia pays for your garbage & recycling too. TESTTESTTEST- Only
one thing I object to down here is that the capital gains tax structure sucks. When I
say sucks, it really sucks, compared to the US CG tax structure. For one thing, there
is no incentive to invest in shares longer because the tax rate isn't reduced for >18
months investments. No capped CG tax rate at 28% either.

CG is counted as income (although indexed for inflation) the year you sell it, but
that still means you can get hit by the highest tax rate of 48.5%. Yes, 48.5%!!!!

And they wonder why it's hard to attract more foreign investment here vs the USA. Of
course, corporate tax here is 36% flat, vs 10% in the US (I believe it's still 10%
right?) TESTTESTTEST Superannuation tax rules in Australia is ridiculous. It's the
only country I know that tax money in and out of it (I read this article comparing
different super systems of different 1st world countries).

Employer contribution or your own pre-tax contribution is taxed at 15%. In the US,
pretax money put into IRA or 401(k) is not taxed but even deducted from your income
(unless you choose the Roth IRA, then it's taxed.)

In Oz, when you take out the money, it's taxed again. Even the component you put in
using AFTER-TAX money.

And good luck trying to run your own super fund. They make it as hard as possible or
something. Even I still don't know how it's done. OTOH, I can at least know how to
run a regular IRA myself if I so wish. TESTTESTTESTTEST You can love Australia in
general, but you can't love Australian tax rules. Unless you're the ATO or tax
accountants.

Old Mar 8th 2002, 1:35 pm
Sam Beck

do you live in OZ now? Chris? and what if your money is offshore?

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "Sam Beck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:zFOh8.8371$eM.3954@sccrnsc02...
    > > Rocket launches to! man, I dont know guys..Oz is starting to sound
alittle
    > > scary now I live in the states andwe are used to having "play"
    > > freedom..meaning we have rights, but thier not really real. What are tax's like
    > > overthere?
    >
    > We've got a Goods and Services Tax of 10% (some things are exempt) and our income
    > tax is progressive, ie: On your first $6,000, there's no tax, on the money you
    > earn in the
$6-20,000
    > you pay 17% tax, on the money you earn in the $20k-$50,000 you pay 30%, on the
    > $50-75,000 you earn, you pay 42%, and on if you earn anything over $75,000, then
    > that part of your salary is taxed at 47%.
    >
    > The pay offs are very cheap unis, and a pretty generous welfare system.
    >
    > Chris