Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Grounds for visa refusal-Medical & criminal

Grounds for visa refusal-Medical & criminal

Old Dec 9th 2004, 7:24 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: Grounds for visa refusal-Medical & criminal

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Has there been many visas refused for people who have medical problems and/or criminal records?
My husband still has "something" on his record which I have declared...obviously...I am main applicant and they have asked for no more good character refs yet and I dont think they would have asked for meds knowing they may refuse on a crim record...I do know that WBB had things on his record and he got in...spouse visa...I shall keep you informed if you like
Old Dec 9th 2004, 8:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Has there been many visas refused for people who have medical problems and/or criminal records?
Here is a useful thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186975

G
Old Dec 9th 2004, 12:39 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Grounds for visa refusal-Medical & criminal

[are you talking about the AAT, australian appeals tribuneral? this has info on all the cases and you can search the database for info.ver useful as ive got a drink driving conviction (parking a car in a different spot in a pub car park under a lamp to leave it there overnight and got breathalysed!!!cumbria police nothing better to do!) and found a case that QUOTE" drink driving is not a criminal offence but that of a traffic offence under uk law, or words to that effect. The guy in question has appeal ruled in his favour, so heres hoping that it looks ok for me if you can use this evidence as a ruling??!!???
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgias

I wonder how many people get detected and deported like this, after they've already settled in Australia.
Reinforces the importance of telling the truth on the form in the first plce. Don't hide it in case it comes back to bite you.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:09 pm
SupNil

My wife has "Mild Scoliosis". will my application be accessed under
"Cat A" or "Cat B" ? Any idea? or any place where i can check?
Pollyana wrote:
    > > Sorry the details are sketchy, but...
    > >
    > > My agent told me that a guy in his early twenties from the US
withheld
    > > information about having spent some time in jail (don't know for
how
    > > long or what for, but I think it was something like Break+Enter)
from
    > > his Partner Visa application and it was approved anyway.
    > >
    > > He was living happily in suburban Brisbane until a few months later
he
    > > got a knock on the door and was deported.
    > >
    > > This agent also told me they could have tried to appeal it, and
    > > may have been successful, but they didn't have the funds for the
    > > legal fees.
    > >
    > > Apparently this happened in the year after 9/11, and the US
    > > authorities took months and months to get through their paperwork
and
    > > pass on the information to DIMIA, otherwise he would have been
nabbed
    > > earlier.
    > >
    > > I wonder how many people get detected and deported like this, after
    > > they've already settled in Australia.
    > Reinforces the importance of telling the truth on the form in the
first
    > plce. Don't hide it in case it comes back to bite you.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
This is not really an informed comment, but to start the ball rolling DIMIA assess a condition on not just risk to the current population but on whether you are likely to be a drain on the nation's finances. I think they stipulate that if your ongoing condition will cost the nation under $20,000 pa then they will let you in. If there is anything remotely unusual about your medicals they refer the application to a doctor in Sydney for further assessment. It seems the usual upshot from this is that they ask you to get extra tests done, perhaps at the same doc that did the original meds.
It's not $20,000 pa but $20,000 over a 3-5 year period. And they don't just look at medical costs, community support costs are also included. On top of that they look at issues like possible prejudice of scarce medical resources (eg organs for transplant), and whether the condition will prevent one from earning a living.

Jeremy
Old Dec 9th 2004, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

prem_career is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=SupNil]My wife has "Mild Scoliosis". will my application be accessed under
"Cat A" or "Cat B" ? Any idea? or any place where i can check?

Give a search here..

http://www.austlii.edu.au/forms/sear...ases/cth/MRTA&