British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Graphic Pre-Press Trade? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/graphic-pre-press-trade-421964/)

__phil__ Jan 27th 2007 8:18 pm

Graphic Pre-Press Trade?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would like to know if anyone is / has migrated to Oz with Graphic Pre-Press skills. After much thinking my wife and I have decided to start looking into making the move to Oz (probably Sydney) . I'm 28 and have been working in the same trade since I was 16. I don't have recognised qualifications but do have the relevant skills and experience for my trade. I score 120 on all of the points scoring test I have taken. Anyone out there in the same situation?

I know you have to take a TRA test first, but is that all?

I'm probably going to use an agent but I don't really know what to expect in terms of cost. What should I be looking to pay?

If anyone can fill me in on where the hell I even start, I would be very grateful.

It just seems so hard to get out of this S*!T hole country.

Thanks

:) :) :) :) :)

andyaldy Jan 27th 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Graphic Pre-Press Trade?

We came out here 2 yrs ago, on my husbands visa as he has the trade as graphic pre press, having worked in this trade for 16yrs but no exams just experience, to begin with we submitted the forms to the tra and failed it, so it was 3 months wasted and the money, but it turned out we had only failed it as it was so indepth and missed things out, so we then decidered to go with and agency which was based in Mancheter and cost about 1200 uk pounds not including meds ect, after this it was straight forward as they told us when to do what and checked it first. Hope this helps you and more questions feel free to pm me.

The Crow Jan 27th 2007 9:10 pm

My husband, Adam, will PM you. He is trade qualified so his application was much more straight forward. We are in Melbourne and he has found his trade to be very much in demand here!

R

__phil__ Jan 27th 2007 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by andyaldy (Post 4332835)
We came out here 2 yrs ago, on my husbands visa as he has the trade as graphic pre press, having worked in this trade for 16yrs but no exams just experience, to begin with we submitted the forms to the tra and failed it, so it was 3 months wasted and the money, but it turned out we had only failed it as it was so indepth and missed things out, so we then decidered to go with and agency which was based in Mancheter and cost about 1200 uk pounds not including meds ect, after this it was straight forward as they told us when to do what and checked it first. Hope this helps you and more questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks for the feedback

Where are you living in Oz? Are there many vacancies for DTP Mac Operator/Typesetters in your area? I currently work in London for a Financial print company so I'm thinking of Sydney as having more positions for the type of work I do now. But you probably know that there are so many different areas in Graphic Pre-Press so I'm open to anything really.

__phil__ Jan 27th 2007 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by The Crow (Post 4332861)
My husband, Adam, will PM you. He is trade qualified so his application was much more straight forward. We are in Melbourne and he has found his trade to be very much in demand here!

R

Thanks

hope to here from you soon

The howellers Jan 30th 2007 9:04 am

Hi Phil

I also work in pre-press (repro), we sent our visa application off on Monday for Melbourne.
I started to get all the information together ready to send off to the TRA, so I might be able to answer some of your questions. We didn't apply under our trade in the end because my wife is on the MODL as a hairdresser, but I have two friends who did, one of them moved to Adelaide 3 months ago and said there is loads of work there, the other sent his application off last month for Sydney, so I can email them and ask their advice as well.

All the best

Justin

A few job websites
http://mycareer.com.au
http://www.seek.com.au/
http://www.alljobs.com.au
http://www.sagerecruit.com.au

Coppock Jan 30th 2007 11:05 am

Hi, i worked in the UK as a repro artist/mac operator a couple of years ago. Trained up as a graphic designer, and working as a teaching assistant for creative computing at the college.

Want to move to queensland within 10 years (reasonable timescale lol), got a 3 month old daughter, and dread the thought of her going through puberty in this country!!!

Let me know how you get on, would be thinking of a mac operators/graphics/teaching job when i get over there, am flexible. good luck

Jen

unrefined_mind Jan 30th 2007 11:39 am

Hi Phil

Migrated to Oz on the pre-press entry, been working for two and a half years as mac operator/graphic designer in Perth, and worked in Sydney for 12 months about 6 years ago doing same thing, in my opinion Sydney has much better options and pay for this trade than anywhere else in Australia. Do you have apprenticeship papers or any kind?

PM me...you can have my job

The howellers Jan 30th 2007 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 4341262)
Hi, i worked in the UK as a repro artist/mac operator a couple of years ago. Trained up as a graphic designer, and working as a teaching assistant for creative computing at the college.

Want to move to queensland within 10 years (reasonable timescale lol), got a 3 month old daughter, and dread the thought of her going through puberty in this country!!!

Let me know how you get on, would be thinking of a mac operators/graphics/teaching job when i get over there, am flexible. good luck

Jen

Hi Jen

You want to move to queensland within 10 years! How come 10 years?

A friend of mine really wants to get into teaching, he has a lot of experience in all aspects of publishing, teaching creative computing sounds right up his street, If you do not mind me asking, how did you get into it?

any advice or links to websites will be much appreciated

Cheers

Justin

Coppock Jan 30th 2007 4:51 pm

lol, 10 years because i've just had a baby. she only 3 months. Got my student loan and some other debts i want to clear, Living with my parents (in an extension) so can save up a lump of cash to take with me! Would love to go tomorrow, but as I am not really skilled yet, been studying most of the last three years I doubt i'd get the visa. Just buying my time, as long as I'm gone within 13 years max, I really don't want my daughter spending her teen years on the street corners of northwich drinking bottles of beer and screaming at me about how i "wish she'd never been born".

Maybe that's a very errr one-sided vision of the future? My greatest fear of failing her.

Unfortunately the teaching job was a fluke. I studied my HND there, and when the job came up, my tutor rang me cos he knew i wasn't working (am still on maternity leave). Your friend is probably best checking out the local colleges. The one i work with tends to look for part time lecturers about summer time.

I know the city college of manchester are looking for design and visual arts lecturers, if thats any help.

http://www.ccm.ac.uk/ccm_gateway.asp?NavID=1723

Hope this helps. Wish him luck!

The howellers Jan 31st 2007 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 4342330)
lol, 10 years because i've just had a baby. she only 3 months. Got my student loan and some other debts i want to clear, Living with my parents (in an extension) so can save up a lump of cash to take with me! Would love to go tomorrow, but as I am not really skilled yet, been studying most of the last three years I doubt i'd get the visa. Just buying my time, as long as I'm gone within 13 years max, I really don't want my daughter spending her teen years on the street corners of northwich drinking bottles of beer and screaming at me about how i "wish she'd never been born".

Maybe that's a very errr one-sided vision of the future? My greatest fear of failing her.

Unfortunately the teaching job was a fluke. I studied my HND there, and when the job came up, my tutor rang me cos he knew i wasn't working (am still on maternity leave). Your friend is probably best checking out the local colleges. The one i work with tends to look for part time lecturers about summer time.

I know the city college of manchester are looking for design and visual arts lecturers, if thats any help.

http://www.ccm.ac.uk/ccm_gateway.asp?NavID=1723

Hope this helps. Wish him luck!

Thanks for the info

I'm the same as you, I dont what my son (3 in july) to grow up being part of the chav culture in the UK.

Cheers

Justin

:D

Coppock Jan 31st 2007 9:20 am

He might be best looking on the websites of his local colleges. They normally have the jobs on the "about us" page.

I've only got a HND in graphic design, not a degree. Does anyone know if that's a high enough qualification to get the skilled visa for either pre-press or graphic design?

I feel i have three routes to follow, pre-press, graphic design, or teaching.

The teaching I will need a degree for, but was wondering what about the other two? Will experience be good enough on its own?

I think my OH Andy would go nuts if Tia (our daughter) turned into a chav lol. Or a skally!!! She's only 3 months and been banned from tracksuits. Although i'm a bit concerned - she's a proper tele addict, and adores cbeebies. She likes the teletubbies . . . I'm gutted!

My aunt and cousins moved to perth when i was 5 and i know how much i'd have enjoyed my teen years over there. Whether it's just the whole "the grass is greener on the other side", I just think Tia would love the sunshine, social scene, sports etc. I hated sport, but only because of the overcast and rain. I avoid going outside in weather like todays, it gets me so depressed! But go cycling for hours in the summer!

Coppock Jan 31st 2007 10:20 am

Feel silly now, didnt realise you get more points for Pre-press rather than graphic design. What constitutes as a pre-press tradesperson? Would mac operating ready for print be enough?

Might have to beg my old boss for my job back lol :unsure:

Gravyman Jan 31st 2007 10:38 am

Hi

I applied successfuly as a Graphic Pre Press Tradesperson back in 2005 and we got our visa in 2006.

I only had 7 years experience and alot of my recent work was more Graphic Design rather than Pre Press.

My first graphics job was for a repro house but I was only there for 18 months.

What you need to do is to stress the Pre Press side rather than the Graphic Design.

I emphasised the repro side and tried not to mention Graphic Design too much.

If anyone needs anymore detaile info then feel free to PM me.

Graham

The howellers Jan 31st 2007 11:18 am

What constitutes as a pre-press tradesperson? Would mac operating ready for print be enough?

Have a look at this link
http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...0&ASCO=491111C

My Friend was told by the TRA that he needed 6 years experience in pre-press !

Coppock Jan 31st 2007 2:24 pm

thanks everyone! All help is really appreciated. I owe you both drinks if/when i get to Oz!

StopDreamingStartDoing Jan 31st 2007 5:40 pm

Quite interested in this thread, i'm a printer of twelve years working on a GOSS HT60 OFF SET Lithographic double width press, with 6 colour units for back to back colour, worked up to supervisor level, had no qualifications to begin with but have managed to get an NVQ 2 thing through work. So with 12 years experience and a little qualification i'm keeping fingers and toes crossed with my TRA. But does anybody know if my type of job is up for grabs as it were, it wouldn't stop us applying but it would be nice to know if there are jobs out there that i could do

Cheers Richard

scottyboy Feb 1st 2007 12:04 pm

I'm applying under graphics pre-press.
Didn't know there were so many of us 'till I read this thread.
GPP's have been prety thin on the ground around here.

I started off doing a YTS in art and design for a year and then
did a BTEC national in graphic design for another couple.

I've worked at printers, newspapers and at present for a
company that does greetings cards.
I've done it on and off for the past ten years or so.

I'm just dotting to i's and crossing the t's on my TRA before I
send it off to an agent that does a visa checking service.

As Gravyman says "emphasise the repro side and tried not to
mention Graphic Design too much"

Good luck to everybody.

Scotty.

Tricky266 Feb 1st 2007 1:11 pm

I've worked as a graphic designer for nearly 20 years and have seen aspects of the job erode away from the industry, first was typesetting, then finished artwork, then repro, so whats the big deal with pre press?? - surely its a dying aspect of the print industry. I actually think that its a very valid part of print and its decline has a lot to do with the poor quality print work being produced - but there is an atittude of - hey it's cheaper so it must be better!!

The problem in the UK - hence my reasons for going elsewhere is the fact that I'm charged out at £70 ph (and get paid about £11) which is a crazy amount of money - if I spend just one hour doing simple text changes it costs the client £70. Madness!! - and we are in a rural backwater - not London!! High charges like this just lead to disgruntled clients - or no clients!

Coppock Feb 2nd 2007 9:48 am

Yea it used to get me annoyed, I was a trainee getting paid about £6ph, but getting chaged out for £40-£80ph depending on who the client was.

Thinking about setting up freelance design & pre press services . . . anyone know if self-employment will count towards 6 yrs experience?

scottyboy Feb 2nd 2007 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 4353742)
Yea it used to get me annoyed, I was a trainee getting paid about £6ph, but getting chaged out for £40-£80ph depending on who the client was.

Thinking about setting up freelance design & pre press services . . . anyone know if self-employment will count towards 6 yrs experience?

I'm prety sure it would.
You just have to give more info such as letters from customers,
suppliers and accountant.
There are plenty of self employed that go through the TRA.

chlor Feb 2nd 2007 9:43 pm

My hubby is a pre-press service engineer, is there much demand for his skills in the perth area?
thanks
chlor

matt-and-jenny Feb 3rd 2007 12:01 am

Originally Posted by __phil__ (Post 4332719)
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and would like to know if anyone is / has migrated to Oz with Graphic Pre-Press skills. After much thinking my wife and I have decided to start looking into making the move to Oz (probably Sydney) . I'm 28 and have been working in the same trade since I was 16. I don't have recognised qualifications but do have the relevant skills and experience for my trade. I score 120 on all of the points scoring test I have taken. Anyone out there in the same situation?...

Hey Phil
Wow, all these pre press people coming out of the woodwork on here!

I work in prepress for a small/medium size company (a 5 colour and a few 2 colour machines), but I'm in Brisbane. I did graphic design at uni, and am not trade qualified. I got a job and started work within 3 weeks of getting here. The impression I got was they're not bothered about official qualifications, as long as you know what you're doing, as it's hard to find decent mac operators in Brisbane. I'm also 28.

I haven't worked in the UK for a couple of years, so don't know what it's like over there now, but Indesign took off a lot quicker over here than in the UK, so expect to be using mainly CS2 programs. I hate quark anyway;) Ozzies pronounce Quark how it "kwark", and not "kwork". my workmates giggle everytime I say Quark, and I tell them to stop quacking at me when they say it:) Good luck anyway mate.
Jenny

Gravyman Feb 3rd 2007 12:19 am

It went the other way with me. I'b been using CS2 for a couple of years in the UK and my current company are still on OS9 and still using Quark 4.1.

It took a while to not only get used to Quark again but also OS9.

I kept trying to find the dock but ir wasn't there.

although on the up side we have Intel G5's with 30" screens waiting to be installed in the next months and I can't wait.

Most companies seem to ask for CS and Quark experience.

Graham

matt-and-jenny Feb 3rd 2007 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Gravyman (Post 4357081)
...although on the up side we have Intel G5's with 30" screens waiting to be installed in the next months and I can't wait.

Most companies seem to ask for CS and Quark experience.

Graham

ooooh:thumbup: that sounds posh. I thought my 20" cinema screen was the dogs bollox when they gave me that:rolleyes:

Bidd Feb 3rd 2007 1:43 am

Originally Posted by __phil__ (Post 4332719)
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would like to know if anyone is / has migrated to Oz with Graphic Pre-Press skills. After much thinking my wife and I have decided to start looking into making the move to Oz (probably Sydney) . I'm 28 and have been working in the same trade since I was 16. I don't have recognised qualifications but do have the relevant skills and experience for my trade. I score 120 on all of the points scoring test I have taken. Anyone out there in the same situation?

I know you have to take a TRA test first, but is that all?

I'm probably going to use an agent but I don't really know what to expect in terms of cost. What should I be looking to pay?

If anyone can fill me in on where the hell I even start, I would be very grateful.

It just seems so hard to get out of this S*!T hole country.

Thanks

:) :) :) :) :)

Hi Phil and all other graphic pre-pressers!

Myself and my husband moved to Sydney in September and my husband is in graphic pre press. He did his training "on the job" and didn't have any formal qualifications so we used an agent - would highly recommend George Lombard, he was so helpful and I honestly believe we wouldn't have managed it without him. My husband found when looking for work that all the job agencies insisted on InDesign which he didn't have too much experience in. He did a two day course here in Sydney and started work a week later (but as is murphys law, his job doesn't use InDesign!!). If you have InDesign and you're coming to Sydney there are jobs aplenty!! If you need info on job agencies, etc. just let me know.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Tina

manxfamily Feb 3rd 2007 2:30 am

I arrived last year on a Skilled Indi visa thanks to my graphic pre-press skills. If you have worked in pre-press then the TRA part is a breeze, once you have that your in. If you need any details on the TRA part just PM me.

I am in Brisbane, and there is plenty of work here. There is usually a at least a couple of posts per week on Seek which you can apply for. In fact, I am studio manager in one of the advertising agencies and I am looking for a mac operator at the moment. Advertised in the Courier Mail and on Seek, lots and lots of applications, of which most of them are time wasters!

If you need any tips / advice then PM me.

Coppock Feb 3rd 2007 11:48 am

Its great to know there's a lot of work out there! I hated quark 4, although at the college we seem to have non-stop conflicts with indesign. I just tend to cheat and use illustrator for all my dtp lol. Unless it's a load of pages!

Decided that i goin freelance. Started doin my website again, just need to get work . . .

I never realised how many of us want to gone/have gone . . . this threads been a good gathering.

__phil__ Feb 3rd 2007 4:32 pm

WoW!,:eek: :eek:

I haven't been on the forum for a while (been working long hours and checking out migration agents). I am amazed at the feedback:D

Is or has anyone used Go Matilda? I have spoken with them and they believe I have a good chance with an application.

Cheers

Phil

scottyboy Feb 5th 2007 7:34 am

Originally Posted by __phil__ (Post 4358997)
WoW!,:eek: :eek:

I haven't been on the forum for a while (been working long hours and checking out migration agents). I am amazed at the feedback:D

Is or has anyone used Go Matilda? I have spoken with them and they believe I have a good chance with an application.

Cheers

Phil

I haven't used them but from spending time on this forum I know they
are very highly thought of as agents go.

Scotty.

Coppock Feb 6th 2007 1:13 pm

Thought this would be the best place to ask a question . . .

Which would win? A redback vs Spray Mount?

And if spray mount wins, can you buy it easily in Aus?

scottyboy Feb 6th 2007 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 4370277)
Thought this would be the best place to ask a question . . .

Which would win? A redback vs Spray Mount?

And if spray mount wins, can you buy it easily in Aus?

I dunno. I bet it would be good against huntsman spiders though.
They got real hairy legs and the stuff gets the hairs on my arms every time.
Saying that I only ever got poisoned by one of them and that was the Spray Mount.:blink:

tonynhayley Feb 16th 2007 12:27 pm

LOL funny one coppock, I've used that on a cockroach! Had to use nearly half a can though cos it kept going, they can survive a nuclear attack but not spraymount! LOL

Anyway, hello, Im new to this forum and so far the info has been great.

I am looking to apply under pre-press as I have been which same company in repro for 8 years and still going. Only problem is that I cannot afford to keep staying there as the money isnt that great and we have a new addition to the family. My friend whos a bricklayer has offered me a job bricklaying over here which is nearly double what I currently earn. I want to take it so as I can save for oz plus its an additional skill which is in demand in Oz so if I cant find pre-press job I could always do bricklaying, LOL. I will stay at my current job at least until TRA decision but whated to know what would happen if I left after my visa application has been sent, obviously I will inform them of this but not to sure how it will affect application. The rules say that you have to of been employed in the trade 12 moths out of the last 6 months, if that from time application is acknowledged? Has anyone else left their job whilst applying for visa and been accepted?

One more question, Those who have passed their pre-press TRA, how big was your TRA application (number of pages?) and what sort of things did you include in you experience? I do about 50% graphic design, typesetting etc and 50% drum scanning, prepare plates etc but not too sure whats best to details more and also dont know how best to describe. Some people who have discussed TRA's in general have said write it so a 5 year old could understand it, Im 26 and pre-press still gets confusing sometimes, LOL

Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Tony.

Coppock Feb 16th 2007 12:32 pm

If spray mount doesn't work . . . there's always photo mount!

Not sure, I've only done 8 months pre-press mac operating, that was a couple of years ago. Maternity leave's almost finished, so am hoping to set up freelance. Was considering going back into employment, but with having to work in pre-press for 6 years not sure if maternity leave counts as not being in work? cos technically i'd still be employed? hmmm . . .

tonynhayley Feb 16th 2007 12:43 pm

If mounts dont work Im sure the side of a G5 mac will squash them, LOL.

Yeah, this is the thing fortunately I have done 8 years pre-press and with only one employer so should hopefully be OK without qualifications although I dont know for sure. You should be OK with maternity leave, Im not even sure that you would have to mention it in you application, all they will want to know is how long with employer (eg 1998 - present). So long as your employer doesnt include it in any reference, which I dont see why they might you should be OK..hopefully.

Good luck with application when you do do it.

Tony.

Gravyman Feb 16th 2007 9:20 pm

Hi Tony

My background was mainly Graphic Design but started my work in the graphic trade at a repro house.

I was there for around 18 months and then went to work for a small publishing company.

We did do all our own repro when I complied my TRA I stressed the point of the repro side and played down the design. I did mention page make up but said more about the scanning side, colour correction, flight checking and creating print ready PDF's.

From what you have said I would detail more on the scanning, plate making & repro side and cut down on the design side.

With regards the paperwork it really depends. I was worried when I submitted mine as I had read of people submitting about 100 pages.

From memory I think my job description was 4 pages, 1 page summary sheet, an introduction sheet plus 5 references each a page or two each and a copy of a college certificate.

I did worry that it wouldn't be enough but it got me through.

Go into as much detail as you can and include all the names of the software you use and the machines you've used as well.

Feel free to PM me if you need anymore details.

Graham

Coppock Feb 25th 2007 4:32 pm

Don't suppose anyone already in oz knows of any companies needing graphic designers/artworkers and want to sponsor one? Had a bad day today . . . :(

tonynhayley Feb 25th 2007 6:23 pm

I was gonna ask that, LOL

We are looking to goto either Melbourne or Adelaide so if anyone knows of a company from there that would be great.

PS: We are willing to bribe!! LOL, joke.

Thanks,

Tony, Hayley & Kids.

scottyboy Feb 26th 2007 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 4453380)
Don't suppose anyone already in oz knows of any companies needing graphic designers/artworkers and want to sponsor one? Had a bad day today . . . :(

If I did I'd be there;)
I'm having a bad day and it's not started yet. That's Mondays for you.

Here is a link to an Australian site that is design/creative based.
The forum is worth a look and although there arn't too many jobs
on there It gives a feel for what's happening.

http://www.australianinfront.com.au/start.aspx

The Crow Oct 23rd 2007 7:27 am

Just wanted to bump this up as the company my OH works for is currently looking for a pre-press operator based in Cheltenham. Candidates must already be in Melbourne. I have added this to the Job Opportunities section. Please PM me for details. Thanks