Got visa but passport running out!

Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

SharonBeckett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got visa but passport running out!

Hi,

Nothing is straight forward, is it! We have our visa grant letter (hurray!) but just realised my son's passport will have expired by the time we plan to emigrate (2012). Do we get the visa stamp in his current passport or is it better to get him a new passport now and get the visa stamp in his next passport? Does this complicate things? Will we have to fill out form 929? I read on the Australia House website that if the visa is in an old passport, it is not a problem as long as you have both the new and the old passport with you when you enter Australia. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of this?? Don't want my son to get refused entry to Oz!

Also, anyone got experience of taking their car with them when they emigrate??

Hope someone can help!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:50 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Re: Got visa but passport running out!

Originally Posted by SharonBeckett
Hi,

Nothing is straight forward, is it! We have our visa grant letter (hurray!) but just realised my son's passport will have expired by the time we plan to emigrate (2012). Do we get the visa stamp in his current passport or is it better to get him a new passport now and get the visa stamp in his next passport? Does this complicate things? Will we have to fill out form 929? I read on the Australia House website that if the visa is in an old passport, it is not a problem as long as you have both the new and the old passport with you when you enter Australia. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of this?? Don't want my son to get refused entry to Oz!

Also, anyone got experience of taking their car with them when they emigrate??

Hope someone can help!
Hi we realised our passports would have very little time left on them once our visa once granted so we applied for new ones nad informed Aus immigration of the new numbers. When our visa came through it still had our old passport numbers! We rang the london branch of Aus emigration and they told us just to send old and new passprots together with the visa grant email to get the stickers in - sure enough visa stickers in new passports. I guess that's a long winded way of saying I would get a new one sorted while you;re here in the uk - I have seen posts on here about how hard it can be trying to renew passport in Aus....
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your speedy reply! Does that mean, then, that if we get my son a new passport, send that as well as his old one (and ours ofcourse) to Australia house, they will just put the visa sticker in his new one.... or do we need to fill out form 929 aswell?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Form 929 is to advise DIAC of new passport details during the application process, it isn't relevant or necessary now you have your visa grant.

You could either get new passport now for you son, or get visa label put into the current passport as it still has two years on it. Then get new passport and visa label nearer the time before you go to Australia.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I see you've just moved to Sydney. How's it going? We're heading for Sydney to join my sister. Just wondering where we will be able to afford to live!