Going NT; help plz??

Old Mar 3rd 2016, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

blue_bird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going NT; help plz??

Originally Posted by rammygirl
I think the point is that NT are being very fussy about the 190 visa as they are fed up with people leaving the state before the two year are up. As we know it is only a moral obligation to stay as you have PR.
Even if people have the points for a 190 they are offering people the 489 if they do not have sufficient ties to the state to make them commit to staying to get PR.

To the OP it seems that they offer the 489 to people applying for the 190 who they do not feel have sufficient ties, so worth applying as you won't waste the fee, or at least that is how I understand it. You can always e mail NT to check.

Other states are less fussy but if people keep on leaving they may well tighten up too.
But you can leave the state after 2 years is up, cannot you? In my case 489 is the ONLY option to try to get to Australia as my occupation is not qualified fro any other states and for 190 type of visa I am lacking 5 points. My husband through qualified for others state but we want to try any option available. My question is - does anyone got a nomination from NT recently on visa 489? If yes, how long is waiting time?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 6:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue_bird
But you can leave the state after 2 years is up, cannot you? In my case 489 is the ONLY option to try to get to Australia as my occupation is not qualified fro any other states and for 190 type of visa I am lacking 5 points. My husband through qualified for others state but we want to try any option available. My question is - does anyone got a nomination from NT recently on visa 489? If yes, how long is waiting time?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can leave after the two years is up

Can't help with the timeline though, sorry.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Pollyana. Do you know - do I need a job offer for it if I am working as Self-Empoyed here, in UK and planning to run it over there as well. It all based on online sales however I would like to have retail shop. Not quite sure if it popular in NT state but know that it is quite popular in other states.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Pollyana. Do you know - do I need a job offer for it if I am working as Self-Empoyed here, in UK and planning to run it over there as well. It all based on online sales however I would like to have retail shop. Not quite sure if it popular in NT state but know that it is quite popular in other states.
What is your occupation? Sometimes the states will only sponsor if the applicant has a job offer lined up and sometimes that will be for certain occupations. NT is one of the states that does that because people often get the sponsorship but then don't move there, so having a job offer weeds out some of that.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What is your occupation? Sometimes the states will only sponsor if the applicant has a job offer lined up and sometimes that will be for certain occupations. NT is one of the states that does that because people often get the sponsorship but then don't move there, so having a job offer weeds out some of that.
I am working a milliner for the last 5 years, have a skill assessment under Clothing Trade Workers nec that is in CSOL, that is the reason for having no other option than NT nomination. I will also have City and Guild Diploma Level 2 in Millinery Design this May (still studying) completed. Milliner is the profession that falls under the category Clothing Trade Workers. I am also have an vocational certificate in Seamstress on which based my skill assessment. The reason of mentioning self-employment is that I am working on my own here in UK and ideally want to open a retail shop in Australia, so offer of employment is no needed... So far.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am working a milliner for the last 5 years, have a skill assessment under Clothing Trade Workers nec that is in CSOL, that is the reason for having no other option than NT nomination. I will also have City and Guild Diploma Level 2 in Millinery Design this May (still studying) completed. Milliner is the profession that falls under the category Clothing Trade Workers. I am also have an vocational certificate in Seamstress on which based my skill assessment. The reason of mentioning self-employment is that I am working on my own here in UK and ideally want to open a retail shop in Australia, so offer of employment is no needed... So far.
This occupation is not on the NT state sponsorship list. It is only on the SA list bit has the special conditions flag which last time I checked meant you would need to either: have a job offer, have family in the state or have 85 points. Do any of those apply?
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

This occupation is not on the NT state sponsorship list. It is only on the SA list bit has the special conditions flag which last time I checked meant you would need to either: have a job offer, have family in the state or have 85 points. Do any of those apply?
The Northern Territory (NT) Government nominates highly skilled professionals and tradespeople who have positive skills assessments for skilled occupations on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List(CSOL) etc... Clothing Trade Workers nec is on that list. Is that not mean that I can apply for 489 type of visa?
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The Northern Territory (NT) Government nominates highly skilled professionals and tradespeople who have positive skills assessments for skilled occupations on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List(CSOL) etc... Clothing Trade Workers nec is on that list. Is that not mean that I can apply for 489 type of visa?
From NT site :

The NT Government will consider your application if:
your skilled occupation is listed on the NT's Migration Occupation List, or
you have a skilled occupation that is on the DIBP Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List (CSOL) but not on the NT's Migration Occupation List where you are able to provide independent evidence of positive employment prospects in the NT either in your skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation, or
you have successfully completed your enrolled course - the eligible study period must be full time and no less than two years at any Charles Darwin University campus in the NT, or
you have a skilled occupation on the CSOL and you can demonstrate strong, well established family connections in the NT, or
you meet the NT residency and work requirements if you are living in Australia. For more information see important information for applicants already residing in Australia.
Which seems to say they might consider it but not sure how likely it is. Do you have independent evidence of positive employment prospects?
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Off list nominations are very rare. And as OS has pointed out NT would want to see family links or evidence of emplyment prospects in the state. They ask for this because they don't want to sponsor someone only for them to live elsewhere. So running your own business is not evidence of employment prospects in the state, because you could do that anywhere.

As you already have a skills assessment, well you have nothing to lose by seeing if you can secure sponsorship. But I would look into employment first and see what you can provide (but I got to say, I am wondering how much call there is for fancy hats in NT). No downside to trying but to be honest, I think your chances are slim.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both. Regarding self-employment I did some research and retal shops are much cheaper over in NT that in Melbourne for example. If it is worth to try - who would not? What about fancy hats - I do not only fancy ones but casual as well.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 11:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both. Regarding self-employment I did some research and retal shops are much cheaper over in NT that in Melbourne for example. If it is worth to try - who would not? What about fancy hats - I do not only fancy ones but casual as well.
Have you looked at all into the lifestyle in Northern Territory? If it's not either an Akubra or a school hat then it's unlikely to be bought. Women simply do not dress up in a way that would warrant buying a hat.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Again you need to prove employment prospects in NT. Not self employment prospects as you could be self employed anywhere. I don't think announcing you are going to open a hat shop will cut it. What is an example of a casual hat made by a milliner?
Old Mar 10th 2016, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Again you need to prove employment prospects in NT. Not self employment prospects as you could be self employed anywhere. I don't think announcing you are going to open a hat shop will cut it. What is an example of a casual hat made by a milliner?
Any hat could be made by milliner - trilby, fedora etc using any kind of material. It is not suppose to be fancy but more practical. For using on the sunny days. Anyway, it is not cost any money to try and we are still trying other states based on my husband eligibility. I just want to use my skills too even it won't work, that is it.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Any hat could be made by milliner - trilby, fedora etc using any kind of material. It is not suppose to be fancy but more practical. For using on the sunny days. Anyway, it is not cost any money to try and we are still trying other states based on my husband eligibility. I just want to use my skills too even it won't work, that is it.
What is your husbands occupation?

And still I would recommend you focus on employment prospects. Even if you do not intend to take up said employment and plan to open your own shop. For the purposes of securing state sponsorship, which is already a very slim chance, this is what I would do.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Mar 10th 2016 at 7:44 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Can you skin a rabbit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.