Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Going on 457-what chance of getting PR when over 45?

Going on 457-what chance of getting PR when over 45?

Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

nisa-bun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going on 457-what chance of getting PR when over 45?

Hello everybody

My husband and I are wanting to move permanently. I am a nurse and I am able to get to Oz on a 457 visa. However we want to be sure that we can stay. My recruiter tells me that the hospital will sponsor me for PR when we get there...but I am not convinced. Two questions:

1) Is the hospital likely to go to the trouble of applying for PR for me (and if not, could I do it myself?)

2) And as an old duck of 45+ would I qualify for PR anyway?

We want to go to Oz but not if it means being so restricted by a temporary visa and uprooting again in 4 years time.

Anybody else gone through this?

Yours

Nisa
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going on 457-what chance of getting PR when over 45?

Originally Posted by nisa-bun
Hello everybody

My husband and I are wanting to move permanently. I am a nurse and I am able to get to Oz on a 457 visa. However we want to be sure that we can stay. My recruiter tells me that the hospital will sponsor me for PR when we get there...but I am not convinced. Two questions:

1) Is the hospital likely to go to the trouble of applying for PR for me (and if not, could I do it myself?)

We want to go to Oz but not if it means being so restricted by a temporary visa and uprooting again in 4 years time.
If you are aged 45+ then employer nominated PR is your only skill based way. It's tricky for those aged 45+ but should be do-able if you're a nurse and only just over 45.

Lots of people who move to Australia on a 457 end up in a mess, especially if the job doesn't work out or the employer refuses to sponsor for PR. Problems also arise if circumstances change (eg a family member gets sick after arriving).

If you are uprooting yourself to take up a job then it's quite reasonable for you to expect the assurance of a PR visa before arriving.

If the hospital dig their heels in and say no, are you prepared to walk away from the offer and try to find another hospital who will say yes?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:19 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going on 457-what chance of getting PR when over 45?

We're handling an employer sponsored RSMS application for a nurse presently who is aged 57 ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by nisa-bun
Hello everybody

Anybody else gone through this?

Yours

Nisa