Go for 6 months??

Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

psaint7 will become famous soon enough
Default Go for 6 months??

Hi,

Am after a bit of advice.

I have been eager to move to Australia for some time however my wife was dead set against it. She has now said she would be prepared to go for 6 months and if she likes it then we could apply for immigration. As she has only just said this i'm still trying to get my head around the practicalities of this.

Doing this would mean having a temporary job while we're out there, then, if we were to apply, doing the same when we return to England until we were accepted (hopefully).

I'm in IT so would need to go through ACS. If temporarily I was not working in IT would this put me at a disadvantage with regards to ACS assesment.

Is there anything else that I should be thinking of ???
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:56 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Go for 6 months??

If you are under 31 years of age you can apply for a working holiday visa for a year and just use 6 months of it.

If you are thinking of just getting a tourist visa for 6 months, you won't be able to work.

The only other way is to go down the visa route and see if your wife likes it out there.

Cheers
Claire
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Originally Posted by psaint7
Hi,

Am after a bit of advice.

I have been eager to move to Australia for some time however my wife was dead set against it. She has now said she would be prepared to go for 6 months and if she likes it then we could apply for immigration. As she has only just said this i'm still trying to get my head around the practicalities of this.

Doing this would mean having a temporary job while we're out there, then, if we were to apply, doing the same when we return to England until we were accepted (hopefully).

I'm in IT so would need to go through ACS. If temporarily I was not working in IT would this put me at a disadvantage with regards to ACS assesment.

Is there anything else that I should be thinking of ???
Hi

My Wife was dead set against the emigration word! So we discussed it in detail and decided to take it in stages. We are applying for PR, but have it in our heads we are staying for two years. This will allow us to apply for our Oz passports and then we may come back. However, we are having a serious review at the end of every 6 months out there.

Sounds weird, but it's a good way to get your head around the whole big emigration word. Personally I think this is a real one way trip!!!

Hope that helps

Gav
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

While its only natural to have doubts about moving such a long way...in my experience, unless you are lucky enough to have friends/family/job offers out here, settling in requires a considerable amount of effort...sometimes being in a new country is far from easy... If its not something you are both committed to, things could be really hard for you both.
Six months really isn't very long if you are thinking about starting afresh...but maybe a holiday would give you the opportunity to talk to potential employers, explore potential places to live and would reduce some of your wife's anxiety about moving...
I'm sure you've both really discussed this all at length already, but does she really understand why you want to emigrate and do you really understand her reservations? Sorry I don't mean to lecture! Goodluck with it all...
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

psaint7 will become famous soon enough

My wife sees 6 months as being the best option, so I may have to go along with that as initially she was so against it.

Does anyone know where I stand from an ACS point of view. I read something about someone applying for ACS before doing any of the other visa stuff.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My wife sees 6 months as being the best option, so I may have to go along with that as initially she was so against it.

Does anyone know where I stand from an ACS point of view. I read something about someone applying for ACS before doing any of the other visa stuff.
If you want to apply for general skilled migration you *must* get a skill assessment beforehand, either from ACS or some other authority.

Jeremy
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:47 am
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road

Before I start, I don't know anything about ACS as hubby is an Electrician so went through the TRA for skills assessment but I would pressume it's similar. We got a positive result from TRA (which took 3 months) and then applied for PR about 3 months later.

So, if your wife is dead set on the six month trial then maybe you could apply to ACS just before you go for the six months, then apply for your PR using your positive ACS assessment on your return. If you've got the qualifications and experience now to get your ACS approved then maybe it's best to get it before taking 6 months off from IT. The only thing is, if you need the points for recent work experience for your main PR application then you'll have to be careful what work you do directly before applying for the PR. I think you need 12 months relevant work experience out of the last 18 months directly before you apply.

Maybe you should get an initial assessment from a good agent.

Rachel