Getting things ready for ACS

Old Aug 12th 2007, 4:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting things ready for ACS

Originally Posted by alexa7
Thanks, i'm waiting for a call back from the agent...But why 5 points discount for work experience? if work experience is in IT which could be part of "business & information professional" job (how do they define whi is business&information professional btw?) then it should be ok?i would still get 10 points for woking 3 out of 4 years before applying...is that right?
No, it's completely wrong. If your nominated occupation and work experience are not the same or "closely related" then youget either zero or 5 points for work experience. You cannot get 10 points.

It's all explained in the migration booklet, if you decide to read it.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough

thanks. yes, i read it. I think it depends how do they define the term "business & information professional" (where can i get this info?). IT operations analyst is also "information professional" therefore nominated profession would match the experience...so it would get 10 points right?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:29 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, i'm waiting for a call back from the agent...i would still get 10 points for woking 3 out of 4 years before applying...is that right?
Hi Alexa,

No, Peter is saying the exact opposite. Let us know how you get on with your agent.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

sorry guys, i'm being thick today i remembered now! for 50 and 40 points occupations you only get 5 points for experience! i forgot about it...burger... so have to go with ACS then i suppose....thx to everyone!

Last edited by alexa7; Aug 12th 2007 at 9:29 am.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:12 pm
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry guys, i'm being thick today i remembered now! for 50 and 40 points occupations you only get 5 points for experience! i forgot about it...burger... so have to go with ACS then i suppose....thx to everyone!
hope it goes ok for you alexa.

I had two agents look over my CV and stuff and they both said I would be fine, only to be told by ACS that my first year wasnt, so dont trust everything the agents say.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sssstew
hope it goes ok for you alexa.

I had two agents look over my CV and stuff and they both said I would be fine, only to be told by ACS that my first year wasnt, so dont trust everything the agents say.
hmmmmm....so did ACS ask you for more papers/prove to cover that first year? or did they just say no it wouldn't count and that's it?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:27 am
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmmm....so did ACS ask you for more papers/prove to cover that first year? or did they just say no it wouldn't count and that's it?
they didnt ask for anything to do with my first year, the first i heard of it was on my result letter when it said unsuitable.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by welshtony
To make a valid application, before immigration even look at your points, you must nominate your occupation and supply evidence of a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing body. ACS need a minimum of 4 years of IT experience unless it is a recognised Australian Qualification. This 4 years for ACS does not have to be recent experience except if you want to get assessed against a MODL - then at least 12 months MODL experience would have to be in the last 4 years. ACS are unlikely to count your placement year as it will be considered to be part of your course.

So these requirements are independent of Immigration requirements. Immigration then require 12 months recent skilled work experience in ANY skilled occupation, to meet threshold requirements, again, before they even look at the points test. When we finally get to the points test assessment, they would then award 10 points if you had 3 years experience, in the last 4 year period, working as a Computer Professional (or closely related occupation) or 05 points if you had 3 years out of 4 working in a different skilled occupation (that was not closely related to a Computer Professional).

As for your occupational coding, you can put whatever you think it is, ACS will assess your most recent IT experience and classify (code) it as they see fit.

So immigration are saying they just NEED 12 months recent skilled work experience in ANY skilled occupation in the last 18 months as well as a suitable skills assessment. The 3 years in the last 4 is needed by you if you need the extra 5 or 10 points for Specific Work Experience. ACS are saying they need, for example, an IT Degree plus minimum of 4 years skilled IT experience to recognise you for Immigration purposes, but this 4 years does not have to be recent, just skilled.

If you have a degree, you may have other visa options by getting assessed by VETASSESS for a 50 point occupation.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Hi, I know this is a really old post, but am getting rather worried -- still preparing docs for ACS. I'm IT Support Manager, so I will be applying under 2231-79 (non MODL). How specific do I need to be on my resume & project sheet on the timescale of things? My job is very wide-ranging so is it OK that I list each individual job and describe it in details, but do I also need to specify dates on everything? dates will be a headache, but otherwise how else will they be able to calculate the number of years...?

I have over 8 years continuous experience, post grad.

Any help appreciated!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

hi. i think you can put approx. dates as long as your job references match them then that should be fine. I was an original OP and ACS did confirm us (even gave us MODL even though we haven't specified we want it), we only had 4 years experience (with one at uni) so i reckon with your 8 you are laughing. Just send them what they ask for and no probs!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

hi. i think you can put approx. dates as long as your job references match them then that should be fine. I was an original OP and ACS did confirm us (even gave us MODL even though we haven't specified we want it), we only had 4 years experience (with one at uni) so i reckon with your 8 you are laughing. Just send them what they ask for and no probs!
Bit of a minefield the ACS! My OH had his part time work recognised even though he was doing a science Ph'd at the time. Law to their own I think.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

umm... i'm not convinced! i've seen people with similar number of years experience as myself and still could be assessed as "unsuitable"!

so you got yours in the end, that's great!

i've worked for the same company all this time, so references are all from the same company. initially i was just going to list all my jobs in detail, but on second thought, if i dont include dates, how are they going to calculate??

also, if i DON'T put dates, then is it also safer as in, they can't then specifically say this year, that year, does not "count"?