Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Getting a Medicare card after application for PR

Getting a Medicare card after application for PR

Old Mar 11th 2002, 11:05 am
Tim S

Default Getting a Medicare card after application for PR

Either my comprehension is bad or Medicare's not playing by the rules it publishes.

I've got a Grad Skilled Temporary visa, and today I got my receipt for the Overseas
Student Class DD PR visa application. Looking at the Medicare guidelines on the HIC
web site, I'm supposedly eligible. The office staff doesn't think so. But the 132 011
info number I called said I'm OK.

Anyone here would like to comment?

Old Mar 12th 2002, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a Medicare card after application for PR

I went into a Medicare office to apply for a card, I had my passport (2 year temporary spouse visa stuck in it), the letter telling me that I'd been granted my visa, and my NHS card.

I was asked to come back with the reciept for payment for my visa and a bill sent to both my boyfriend and myself for proof that we're de facto (she definitely said that was the reason, rather than proof of address).

I tried explaining that the visa which I had been granted just a couple of weeks earlier would not have been given to me if they weren't sure that we were de facto, and that I wouldn't have the sticker in my passport or the letter if I hadn't paid, but it made not difference.

Nara
Old Mar 12th 2002, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

mozz48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nara ,
Hope everything is well your way Brigitte and I went through all that the other week at Medicare It is a little bit like having to put in another application for a visa Once we took in all the information which they required there was not a problem In fact they were very helpfull It does pay to keep all those copies of your document You just dont know exactly when you are going to need them again
Regards Gerard
Old Mar 12th 2002, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Thomas will become famous soon enough

Gerard,

Could you please list out those documents they (Medicare) asked for and you presented. That'd be helpful to many soon to be immigrants.

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2002, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gerard,

All's well thanks. I've managed to stuff all important documents in a big paper bag, and so when I can be bothered I'll pop down with what they asked for, and hope the person I see doesn't have different requests!

Hope you and Brigitte are well. You must be enjoying your time together, even more having emerged the other side of your visa application, I know we still thank the heavens/our DIMIA interviewer every day.

Nara
Old Mar 12th 2002, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

mozz48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to hear from you Nara
I am glad to hear that you both are well and settling into life post visa as well We are doing very well ,it is fantastic to be getting on with life Brigitte is starting to talk like an Australian now She wasnt very impressed by the Summer we didnt have Oh well I keep telling her it isnt like Mauritius where its perfect every day
I think it was Tom that asked the question about the documents to take to Medicare It depends and I am only talking for someone that has come to Australia on a Spousal Visa . Marriage certificate,birthcertificate ,passport , receipt from DIMA office where you paid the Visa cost , letters or bills with both your names on them showing your residential address, I guess most of which you have already in your possession You can take in the originals and they will photo copy them and authenticate them them for you as an original.
Hope this helps you out Regards Gerard

Last edited by mozz48; Mar 12th 2002 at 6:17 am.