Wikiposts

Getting married before landing

Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice
Default Getting married before landing

Hi all,

After the excitement of getting a CO, having to request police checks and getting booked in for a bit of medical probing, we hit a bit of problem with AoS. That looks like it will be ok, we have joint assurers going to see Centrelink in the next 2 weeks and *(fingers crossed* it should be ok...we will let post up about their experience in case it helps others.

Moving on to the next stage then...my fiance and I applied under our own names, but stated on the app that, as well as being engaged, we are due to get married in Septmber. This means that we are likely to get our visa before marriage, so my fiance's passort and visa will be in her maiden name.

Will this cause a problem when landing? Should we update the passort and notify DIMA before we arrive?

Thanks

Marcus
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married before landing

Originally Posted by M_and_J
Moving on to the next stage then...my fiance and I applied under our own names,
What exactly do you mean by that? Did you apply as a de-facto couple or did you submit two separate applications?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice

Sorry, it wasn't very clear.

We're de-facto in terms of we've been living together for many years, but both forms 47 and 80 ask if the applicants are engaged, which we are, so that's what we ticked.
Form 47 also asks for the planned date of the wedding, which we know as it's all booked, so we provided that too.

So DIMA are aware of our circumstances and we should be getting our visas many months before the wedding, with my fiance's pre-married name. By the time we land, we'll be a Mr and Mrs...does this matter?

Do we just have to show proof of the wedding, or do we have to notify DIMA that the wedding we told them about has gone ahead?

thanks
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_J
That looks like it will be ok, we have joint assurers going to see Centrelink in the next 2 weeks and *(fingers crossed* it should be ok...we will let post up about their experience in case it helps others.
Unless things have changed recently, using "joint assurers" may not work-around the "two adult limit" per assurer. Is the "other" assurer able to do the assurance on his or her own?

Get professional advice if this is important.

Moving on to the next stage then...my fiance and I applied under our own names, but stated on the app that, as well as being engaged, we are due to get married in Septmber. This means that we are likely to get our visa before marriage, so my fiance's passort and visa will be in her maiden name.

Will this cause a problem when landing? Should we update the passort and notify DIMA before we arrive?
People who get visas as singles normally have a "must not marry before first entry" condition on their visas. Usually this is not applied to visas where the applicants are a de-facto couple. If not, you can get married before first entry. Change of marital status does not invalidate the visa and I see no problem with travelling on passport and visa in maiden name (many women keep their name anyway).

If you want to change passport and visa details, best place to do that is after arriving in Australia. Trying to travel with visa in a different name to passport is asking for a long delay at check-in at best.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:10 am
Just Joined

peeps is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jaj,

We have a similar situation. We applied for a 136 visa, proved de facto , no problems. Submitted meds and Pcc's and then got married . We have not received visa grant yet but should be soon.

So my wife will enter the country in her maiden name but what are the procedures of getting the passport and visa changed when we get to Australia. And do we need to inform Dimia of this change in status now? Appreciate any advice. Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi JAJ

Re: the other AoS thread...my distant rellies (already AoS for other family member) are no longer in the equation. J's sister, already in Melbourne, has been able to help us out with some kind people willing to assure, and they're completely eligable. They're seeing Centrelink today, I will post up as soon as we hear anything useful.

Re: wedding, thanks for the tip. Hopefully the time between wedding and landing should be a matter of weeks, so if I understand your reply correctly, we just go as we are now, then arrange for the necessary change of passports etc.

PEEPS....congrats on the wedding, we have it all to come! I think JAJ's post helps us both out, but if you decide to find out from DIMA themselves, please post on the forums....there's bound to be more than you and I needing to know.

Cheers

M and J