Getting married after visa is granted??

Old May 8th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting married after visa is granted??

Quick question, We're (fingers crossed) hoping to get our visa in Sept/Oct time but we are probably going to get married in Nov or Dec, what happens if my name changes? Do we have to get Visa amended or should I just not bother changing UK passport and book tickets for flight in my maiden name?

If I did this though when I get to Australia would bank accounts etc all have to be in my maiden name due to my passport? or would they accept marriage certificate as proof?

We cant bring the wedding forward as 1. We need to sell the house to get the money (dont see that happening any time soon!) and 2. I'm pregnant and I refuse to get married whilst I'm the size of a house!!!

Any thoughts would be really appreciated, Thank you.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married after visa is granted??

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Quick question, We're (fingers crossed) hoping to get our visa in Sept/Oct time but we are probably going to get married in Nov or Dec, what happens if my name changes? Do we have to get Visa amended or should I just not bother changing UK passport and book tickets for flight in my maiden name?

If I did this though when I get to Australia would bank accounts etc all have to be in my maiden name due to my passport? or would they accept marriage certificate as proof?

We cant bring the wedding forward as 1. We need to sell the house to get the money (dont see that happening any time soon!) and 2. I'm pregnant and I refuse to get married whilst I'm the size of a house!!!

Any thoughts would be really appreciated, Thank you.
If you change your name on your passport you'll need to change the name on the visa. Might be easier to leave the lot in your maiden name till you get here, then think about changing it later. The banks etc might accept the marriage cert, but if thats the only thing with your married name on it could be tricky. Why not open the bank account in your maiden name and then change it later when you've changed your passport.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Polly. Do you think it will be relatively straightforward to change my name on my passport from Australia? I think I'll get my driving licence changed straight away as that may help for ID purpose's.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Thanks for that Polly. Do you think it will be relatively straightforward to change my name on my passport from Australia? I think I'll get my driving licence changed straight away as that may help for ID purpose's.
All I did to change mine was apply for a new passport in my new name -
http://www.britaus.net/ has the details.
Then you take the two passports and marriage cert into your local DIAC office and they will put a sticker in the new passport, in the new name.
Good idea with the driving licence - having ID in each name can help, I still have a credit card in my maiden name, and all my work stuff is in my maiden name as its easier than changing

Remember when you book your flights - use the name on the passport!
Old May 8th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
All I did to change mine was apply for a new passport in my new name -
http://www.britaus.net/ has the details.
Then you take the two passports and marriage cert into your local DIAC office and they will put a sticker in the new passport, in the new name.
Good idea with the driving licence - having ID in each name can help, I still have a credit card in my maiden name, and all my work stuff is in my maiden name as its easier than changing

Remember when you book your flights - use the name on the passport!
Thanks Polly thats really very helpful. All the trouble us women have to go through, men have no idea!!!
Old May 8th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ya I asked agent this as we have our visa but was looking to get married before leave for Oz.

We were told we would have to take both passports one with visa sticker and the other one with new name and our marriage cert and show them all when entering Oz.

But it make life easier I would not bother to change my name til we get there.

Good luck with the wedding x