Gay couple hoping to move to Australia

Old May 15th 2008, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

aussieteach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gay couple hoping to move to Australia

I have recently been accepted for a 457 visa to teach in Australia. My employment commences in January. I have also recently met a partner, we have discussed the situation at length and he wants to come with me. I am worried about getting him into the country. I contacted my employer and was told that they would put him on my visa but I would need evidence that we have cohabited for 12 months (joint banks accounts, bills etc). As we have only met relatively recently (4 months) this is not possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what we can do?

Last edited by aussieteach; May 15th 2008 at 7:52 pm.
Old May 15th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gay couple hoping to move to Australia

Originally Posted by aussieteach
I have recently been accepted for a 247 visa to teach in Australia. My employment commences in January. I have also recently met a partner, but I am worried about getting him into the country. I contacted my employer and was told that they would put him on my visa but I would need evidence that we have cohabited for 12 months (joint banks accounts, bills etc). As we have only met relatively recently (4 months) this is not possible.

We have discussed it at length and he wants to come with me. Does anyone have any suggestions about what we can do?
You'd need to speak to an agent. Without the 12 months proof of living together it's more difficult.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:30 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

I have recently been accepted for a 457 visa to teach in Australia. My employment commences in January. I have also recently met a partner, we have discussed the situation at length and he wants to come with me. I am worried about getting him into the country. I contacted my employer and was told that they would put him on my visa but I would need evidence that we have cohabited for 12 months (joint banks accounts, bills etc). As we have only met relatively recently (4 months) this is not possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what we can do?

Hello well done on the visa if you don't mind me asking how old is he would a Working holiday visa suit that way you can get the 12 month evidence so he can be added to visa may be if this can be done or even at that it would allow him to find work and if lucky a sponsor for him self

other than that he could get a holiday visa and see could he find a sponsor that way

May be talk to an agent see what the best way to go hope that helps and good luck
Old May 15th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

aussieteach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Baby75
Hello well done on the visa if you don't mind me asking how old is he would a Working holiday visa suit that way you can get the 12 month evidence so he can be added to visa may be if this can be done or even at that it would allow him to find work and if lucky a sponsor for him self

other than that he could get a holiday visa and see could he find a sponsor that way

May be talk to an agent see what the best way to go hope that helps and good luck
Thanks for that. Yes I was thinking of the working holiday visa idea myself, it might be our only option. He's in his twenties so should be eligible.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:50 am

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. Yes I was thinking of the working holiday visa idea myself, it might be our only option. He's in his twenties so should be eligible.
Well then thats the best option for the moment Ild recommend he does the 3 months harvest trail so he can stay an extra year as well, that way when you do qualify for 12 months he wont have to worry about having no visa,while waiting for the all go on yours

Good luck
Old May 16th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Not 100% sure but he'd have to return to UK to apply for interdependent visa as can't apply on shore. As I said need to speak to an agent, not quiet as easy as it's being made out the working holiday visa option, there could well be a better route
Old May 16th 2008, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Not 100% sure but he'd have to return to UK to apply for interdependent visa as can't apply on shore. As I said need to speak to an agent, not quiet as easy as it's being made out the working holiday visa option, there could well be a better route
I wasn't to sure about that bit my self dont know the ins and outs of a Sponsorship visa
Old May 16th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

If all else fails you could dump him and get yourself a new fella when you get there
Old May 16th 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eve209
If all else fails you could dump him and get yourself a new fella when you get there
Dear me there's always at least one such post on every thread like this. Isn't it such an inconvenience that people have feelings and can't just change partners everytime it doesn't suit eh
Old May 16th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

kali is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand how you would add somebody to a visa that is already granted. I thought you could do that only when you lodged, not while the visa is already granted? I could be wrong though.

I you can't add him when the visa is granted, the WHV is only a temporary solution, as aussieteach is on a 457 his boyfriend can't apply for the subclasses 826/814. Unless aussieteach gets his permanent resident first.

The good news is that getting the 826 can be easy. It just took a few weeks for a friend.
Start saving all your photo's (in a romantic position as my agent said ) and joint invitations to parties etc. That also does to prove that you are in a relation for more than 12 months. Also get some letters from both of your parents that you are meant for each other, that seems to help as well.

see http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...-826/index.htm

Last edited by kali; May 16th 2008 at 2:54 pm.