Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Frontloaded meds but will soon expire with no visa yet granted... options?

Frontloaded meds but will soon expire with no visa yet granted... options?

Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto (the big city in Canada, not the town in New South Wales!)
torcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Frontloaded meds but will soon expire with no visa yet granted... options?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As for my original comment, I don't feel it was harsh to point out to the OP that DIAC had not requested his medicals, but rather he chose to frontload. That was his choice, so there is really no reason to blame someone other than himself. Now, had he been requested by his case officer to do medicals and then they expired prior to a visa grant then he would have every right to by upset.

Dorothy, when people apply online, DIAC does clearly request that medicals be done within 28 days of the application.

As PamE clearly stated in message 8 of this thread:

Originally Posted by PamE
The online application system (for 475s anyway) very clearly REQUESTS that you upload your medicals within 28 days.
The same is true for 175 online applications when it is submitted. I am also in a similar scenario as the OP, and am also miffed.

DIAC shouldn't give that "request" to applicants at all when they submit online, knowing what the real situation is. How would the average person who doesn't read or aware of these forums know that they shouldn't frontload? DIAC does bear some responsibility here with their badly designed application forms and instructions (and that is also a general comment, some of the wording and clarity of the questions on the paper application forms that I had read through are atrocious! - they REALLY need to hire some usability design consultants!). With wait times the way they are, DIAC should specifically tell clients not to do medicals/PCCs until specifically instructed to do so, instead of within 28 days of application!

Last edited by torcraw; Dec 21st 2008 at 12:15 am.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frontloaded meds but will soon expire with no visa yet granted... options?

Originally Posted by torcraw
Dorothy, when people apply online, DIAC does clearly request that medicals be done within 28 days of the application.

As PamE clearly stated in message 8 of this thread:

The same is true for 175 online applications when it is submitted. I am also in a similar scenario as the OP, and am also miffed.

DIAC shouldn't give that "request" to applicants at all when they submit online, knowing what the real situation is. How would the average person who doesn't read or aware of these forums know that they shouldn't frontload? DIAC does bear some responsibility here with their badly designed application forms and instructions (and that is also a general comment, some of the wording and clarity of the questions on the paper application forms that I had read through are atrocious! - they REALLY need to hire some usability design consultants!). With wait times the way they are, DIAC should specifically tell clients not to do medicals/PCCs until specifically instructed to do so, instead of within 28 days of application!
I hate to be pedantic, but with the dozens of applications I submitted in my time working for a migration agency it clearly showed "required", not "requested". Two different things.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

The 175 checklist states. (Please see attached)

Health (do not undertake until requested to do so).
Character (do not apply for police clearances until requested to do so).

I did read in another thread that you can get the 1 year validity extended by three months, but I never seen anything on DIAC web site about this.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
175_checklist-1.pdf (64.5 KB, 254 views)
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Here's an extract of the acknowledgement email I received after lodging my on-line application in June 2008 (I've put the relevant bits in bold):

--------------------------------------------------
FURTHER DOCUMENT REQUEST

To assist in the assessment of your application you must provide additional documentation. If you have not already done so, please provide to the ASPC the documents listed below:

Birth certificate or other evidence of age
Copy of page of passport containing personal details
Evidence of de-facto relationship
Evidence of overseas qualifications
Evidence of skills assessment
Evidence of 'Specific Work Experience'
Passport photo
Form 160EH - Radiologist report on chest x-ray
Form 26EH - Medical examination for an Australian visa
Form 47P - Overseas penal clearance certificate

Evidence of interdependent relationship
Evidence of S/T gov agency or Reg Certifying Body nom

Regulation 2.15 of the Migration Regulations 1994 provides a time limit of 28 days after the date of this email for you to submit the documents previously listed. If you do not respond within this timeframe, the ASPC may proceed to decide this application on the basis of the available information.

--------------------------------------------------

I agree with the previous poster, DIAC need to make sure they give a consistent message in all of their communications, and should make sure that they don't ask anywhere for medicals and police checks to be front loaded. I can see why some people have front loaded, and it's not their fault that they haven't scanned the forums and other sources of information to check when they should really take their medicals. I definitely don't agree that DIAC make this clear!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto (the big city in Canada, not the town in New South Wales!)
torcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura about

Dorothy, confirming what rushmere said in his last message (#19). I'm not sure how long ago it was that you worked for a migration agency, but the current situation in 2008 is that the e-mail that rushmere just posted is what DIAC tells online applicants now.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Lissa is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Frontloaded meds but will soon expire with no visa yet granted... options?

Originally Posted by Dorothy

...... I don't feel it was harsh to point out to the OP that DIAC had not requested his medicals, but rather he chose to frontload. That was his choice, so there is really no reason to blame someone other than himself. Now, had he been requested by his case officer to do medicals and then they expired prior to a visa grant then he would have every right to by upset.
I agree... some people that have frontloaded have done well in doing so, others not so well, but that is always the chance that you risk taking in doing so. Personally, I think people should wait. I waited to be asked and within 2 weeks of sending PCC and Medicals, Visa 175 was granted.

I am sorry for the situation you are in; frontloading is not always the best policy.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:06 pm
Chief Innovation Officer

stormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lissa
I agree... some people that have frontloaded have done well in doing so, others not so well, but that is always the chance that you risk taking in doing so. Personally, I think people should wait. I waited to be asked and within 2 weeks of sending PCC and Medicals, Visa 175 was granted.

I am sorry for the situation you are in; frontloading is not always the best policy.
... and I'd totally agree with your way of thinking had we not all been shown how they handle requests for meds in 2008. rushmere has it down pat. Read and learn!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

letmein is an unknown quantity at this point

Reviving an old thread here, but... We're in this situation too now. We rushed to meet the 28 days deadline mentioned in the automatic receipt email. I sent a question to DIAC questioning this, because we couldn't get PCC's that fast anyway, but they never replied.

My question now is, which date determines the expiration date of the medicals? The "done" date or the finalisation date? For most people it probably doesn't matter much but in my case they're two months apart.

Edit: Sorry, I see that was in fact the original question of this thread. The reply here was "done" date, but in a different forum on one of your sister sites someone said it's the finalisation date. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited by letmein; Feb 23rd 2009 at 8:21 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's the date your medical is done.