Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Fridgie & Sparkies Beware!!! A Friendly Warning!

Fridgie & Sparkies Beware!!! A Friendly Warning!

Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

asskwoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Fridgie & Sparkies Beware!!! A Friendly Warning!

Hi Everyone who reads this, don't worry too much but there are a few things you need to know about the regulations over here.

Anyone who got their Pre-Migration done by TRA before it changed to Vetasses.

I'm a Fridgie by trade and got my pre-migration TRA acceptance done before I moved over here and thought that was all I needed to get my licenses applied for.
It isn't! you need to get your trade qualifications & EXPERIENCE assessed by the TRA but by a seperate area on differant forms you may even need a skills assessment done by yet another agency before you get your Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, which then allows you to apply for your license!

Fridgies - you need your Arctick License which is similar to your CITB safe handling for CFC's, HCFC's & HFC's. Hydrocarbons are seperately regulated and natural refrigerants unlicensed (yes even ammonia but you need trade papers to work with it!) currently it cost $100 fr 3 years and you pay for it not the employer.

Sparkies and Fridgies - you need an Electrical License (Fridgies a Restricted License) you will have to go to college to have your skills assessed to get it, but you need your ARTC to even yet a permit to study!!!! also it costs $100 for 5 years, again you have to pay for it!

Employers also have differant ideas about what tools you provide & they provide so make sure you check with them first.
e.g in the UK my firms all supplied gauges, hoses, flaring/swaging tools and electrical work tools (i.e Crimpers) that were necessary to the trade. Over here they are all classed as hand tools! Which you must supply!!

I can only speak for Fridgies on this last bit sorry.
The TRA ARTC application requirements are a bit misleading.
Make sure you put as much information down as you can to prove 7 years experience. My first application was rejected due to my following the wording exactly.
They want.
The type of equipment you worked on, types of application (Domestic,Comercial & Industrial) and what you have done on each and to what depth/level.
i.e Semi-Hermetic Reciprocating Compressors - Commercial, Industrial.
Basic Service, High End Service, Major Overhaul (Describing what each entailed)
Fault Diagnosis & Subsequent Actions (with a few examples & what your role was i.e Diagnosed valves damaged, removed clinder head and replaced damaged valves.)
they are a bit strict!!
other than that its all pretty easy!
I'm up in Cairns been here 4 months now & think its absolutely fantastic. & would recommend it to anyone who can do it!
Any more info I get I will add ASAP

Good Luck

Last edited by asskwoo; Apr 18th 2008 at 8:28 pm. Reason: New Information
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fridgie & Sparkies Beware!!! A Friendly Warning!

thanks for that mate, think you just saved me about a grand as i was going to book myself a refresher course before moving out but if i've got to be tested again over there then there's not much point.

good advice
kev
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

asskwoo is an unknown quantity at this point

This only applies to people who have done the pre-migration assessment with tra. forgot to mention that.
I'm only halfway though getting my ARTC at minute my resubmittal gets sent on monday its now 14 pages long from 4!!
As for the testing I'm not 100% sure what happens there but I'll add more as I find out.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

All new applications need to got to these people

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...entservice.htm
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

G'day
Found this thread so thought I would tell you abt a BE expat meet up we are having Saturday 26th April, at the Red Beret in Redlynch village, from around 5pm.

Yeah, lovely here in Cairns isn't it

Hope you can make it

Gill and Bix

Originally Posted by asskwoo
This only applies to people who have done the pre-migration assessment with tra. forgot to mention that.
I'm only halfway though getting my ARTC at minute my resubmittal gets sent on monday its now 14 pages long from 4!!
As for the testing I'm not 100% sure what happens there but I'll add more as I find out.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

All new applications need to got to these people

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...entservice.htm
Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by asskwoo
Hi Everyone who reads this, don't worry too much but there are a few things you need to know about the regulations over here.

Anyone who got their Pre-Migration done by TRA before it changed to Vetasses.

I'm a Fridgie by trade and got my pre-migration TRA acceptance done before I moved over here and thought that was all I needed to get my licenses applied for.
It isn't! you need to get your trade qualifications & EXPERIENCE assessed by the TRA but by a seperate area on differant forms you may even need a skills assessment done by yet another agency before you get your Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, which then allows you to apply for your license!

Fridgies - you need your Arctick License which is similar to your CITB safe handling for CFC's, HCFC's & HFC's. Hydrocarbons are seperately regulated and natural refrigerants unlicensed (yes even ammonia but you need trade papers to work with it!) currently it cost $100 fr 3 years and you pay for it not the employer.

Sparkies and Fridgies - you need an Electrical License (Fridgies a Restricted License) you will have to go to college to have your skills assessed to get it, but you need your ARTC to even yet a permit to study!!!! also it costs $100 for 5 years, again you have to pay for it!

Employers also have differant ideas about what tools you provide & they provide so make sure you check with them first.
e.g in the UK my firms all supplied gauges, hoses, flaring/swaging tools and electrical work tools (i.e Crimpers) that were necessary to the trade. Over here they are all classed as hand tools! Which you must supply!!

I can only speak for Fridgies on this last bit sorry.
The TRA ARTC application requirements are a bit misleading.
Make sure you put as much information down as you can to prove 7 years experience. My first application was rejected due to my following the wording exactly.
They want.
The type of equipment you worked on, types of application (Domestic,Comercial & Industrial) and what you have done on each and to what depth/level.
i.e Semi-Hermetic Reciprocating Compressors - Commercial, Industrial.
Basic Service, High End Service, Major Overhaul (Describing what each entailed)
Fault Diagnosis & Subsequent Actions (with a few examples & what your role was i.e Diagnosed valves damaged, removed clinder head and replaced damaged valves.)
they are a bit strict!!
other than that its all pretty easy!
I'm up in Cairns been here 4 months now & think its absolutely fantastic. & would recommend it to anyone who can do it!
Any more info I get I will add ASAP

Good Luck
Not a spark myself but have followed the confusion with
the lack of info in this area just to say good to find someone who is prepared to pass on information in this area i think you will get more than your fair share of questions well done
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough

Cheers for the info Asskwoo,
I am a pre vetasses air con engineer.
Sounds like another nightmare to look forward to.
What are you doing for work while you are sorting everything out?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:29 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakwood 2
Not a spark myself but have followed the confusion with
the lack of info in this area just to say good to find someone who is prepared to pass on information in this area i think you will get more than your fair share of questions well done
there`s a shed load of iinfo for sparks here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:25 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Will be watching this with interest as i am just about to start filling the paperwork in for my ARTC.

Jon
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve`o
there`s a shed load of iinfo for sparks here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Sorry bud looks like you have given a fair bit of help to other sparkys
yourself as i said i an not a sparko myself looks like quite a bit of info
if you take the time to look
good on ya