Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Form 80 - do I really have to list old de facto relationship?

Form 80 - do I really have to list old de facto relationship?

Old Dec 15th 2013, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute
Question Form 80 - do I really have to list old de facto relationship?

Hi all,

When I completed my EoI I selected the option "Never married" as this accurately reflects my relationship standing. In Form 80 however, the options for relationship status are worded differently. I would not be able to select the option "Never married or been in a de facto relationship" as I have in fact been in a long-term de facto in the past. So my understanding is that I will need to tick the box "De facto relationship" and list the start of that relationship.

Unless I tick the box "Separated"? But does this not refer to marriages?

My worry is that DIAC will then ask for proof of the old de facto relationship, even though I am not claiming partner points or including anyone else in my 189 Visa application. Why would they need this information?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Form 80 - do I really have to list old de facto relationship?

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist
Hi all,

When I completed my EoI I selected the option "Never married" as this accurately reflects my relationship standing. In Form 80 however, the options for relationship status are worded differently. I would not be able to select the option "Never married or been in a de facto relationship" as I have in fact been in a long-term de facto in the past. So my understanding is that I will need to tick the box "De facto relationship" and list the start of that relationship.

Unless I tick the box "Separated"? But does this not refer to marriages?

My worry is that DIAC will then ask for proof of the old de facto relationship, even though I am not claiming partner points or including anyone else in my 189 Visa application. Why would they need this information?
They won't ask for proof of previous de facto relationships, only a current one. However they ask about them partly in case any of the relationships involved previous visa applications. They also ask for marital history - de facto relationships are the equivalent to marriage for most migration purposes.

Just put the dates the relationship began and ended
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana, the only thing with Form 80 is that there is no field to specify end-date of relationship, so if you tick "De facto" it will appear as if you are currently in a relationship. It's not a straight-forward one
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:02 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana, the only thing with Form 80 is that there is no field to specify end-date of relationship, so if you tick "De facto" it will appear as if you are currently in a relationship. It's not a straight-forward one
OK I've dug the form out - Question 2, I take it?

The top three, married, engaged, de facto would appear to apply to a current relationship.
If you have been in a de facto relationship but are now single, I (in your shoes ) would tick Separated - that applies to de facto rel'ships as well as marriages
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, that sounds like the most logical choice actually. Funny how you start to fret about every little detail on these forms...
Old Dec 15th 2013, 9:03 pm
Home and Happy

Thank you, that sounds like the most logical choice actually. Funny how you start to fret about every little detail on these forms...
Tell me about it!! The smallest thing becmes a mountain doesn't it, Never could have coped myself without people on here helping out