Father and Mother as Dependents

Old May 7th 2004, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really nice
Default Father and Mother as Dependents

Hi
My wife is a nurse, we are applying for immigration visa under skilled migration, I am sure that we will be granted.
I have a question, relating to my parents. We decided on applying just for my wife and I as opposed to the four of us, due to my father being ill with heart problems. Once granted the visa for my wife and I, is it possible to then applying for them as dependents. We were advised not to apply for them until we had been granted a visa or until we had gained citizenship. Is this true?
What other ways are there for getting my parents to Oz?
Thanks all for your advice.
Regards
Sanj
Old May 7th 2004, 2:33 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Father and Mother as Dependents

Originally posted by Sanj
Hi
My wife is a nurse, we are applying for immigration visa under skilled migration, I am sure that we will be granted.
I have a question, relating to my parents. We decided on applying just for my wife and I as opposed to the four of us, due to my father being ill with heart problems. Once granted the visa for my wife and I, is it possible to then applying for them as dependents. We were advised not to apply for them until we had been granted a visa or until we had gained citizenship. Is this true?
Regards
Sanj
Might be wrong on this one but once you have a permanent visa, you have to wait two years until you can sponsor thier application for migration.

If your father is quite ill I am guessing that it is unlikely they will be given a permanent visa on medical grounds due to the cost to the Australian taxpayer.

Good luck anyway
Old May 8th 2004, 12:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Father and Mother as Dependents

You would probably not be able to include them as dependents on your current application anyway. This is very strictly interpreted by DIMIA.

After you have lived in Australia for two years you may be able to sponsor for Contributory Parent, if the parents meet the balance of family test, and the fees/charges/10 year assurance of support for Contributory Parent are met.

Aged Dependent Relative might give an alternative, but you need professional advice with this visa. It is not an easy one, and would be very advisable to have citizenship first (if you're British there are not any issues with this as you can have dual citizenship). You still need to have been in Australia at least 2 years.

And in *both* cases, standard health requirements apply. If there is a health problem already, then you need to face up to the fact your wife's father may never be allowed to migrate to Australia.

I'd download the relevant information from the DIMIA site and start reading through it.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Sanj
Hi
Regards
Sanj