Family Visa?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Visa?

Hi

I have recently found out that families can not obtain a visa unless they are either the only remaining relative, carer or dependant. Is this true?

My sister in law is moving out there once her visa has been finalised and my husband wants to go out there.

If not it means we have to wait longer as my husband and I are training at the moment. I am starting in September nurse training and my husband is studying his CIMA.

I am quite shocked.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Visa?

Originally Posted by angel659
Hi

I have recently found out that families can not obtain a visa unless they are either the only remaining relative, carer or dependant. Is this true?

My sister in law is moving out there once her visa has been finalised and my husband wants to go out there.

If not it means we have to wait longer as my husband and I are training at the moment. I am starting in September nurse training and my husband is studying his CIMA.

I am quite shocked.
Why shocked? Just because you have a brother or sister in Australia shouldn't give you automatic rights to move here. You or your partner will need to have a trade that will be of use to the Australian economy...Just like everyone else who applies.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:31 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why shocked? Just because you have a brother or sister in Australia shouldn't give you automatic rights to move here. You or your partner will need to have a trade that will be of use to the Australian economy...Just like everyone else who applies.
Agreed. Australia is not going to open up the gates to all the families of people who have qualified for visas or have got citizenship.

Let's face it, lots of people have relatives who would be a strain on the economy (unemployment or medical reasons) or could also be criminals. It is unfortunate that it is so difficult to get family to Australia, but I wouldn't really want the opposite to be true.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

In case you hadnt noticed my husband is training to be an Accountant and I am training to be a nurse. Its not like we are scums of the earth or bums really. It shows that we are both working towards skilled workers. If I remember rightly both of these jobs are on the demand list. The reason I wanted to go out there early was so finish my training in Oz and the same for husband. Considering he has to convert and probably take another qualification when he arrives.

The reason I was shocked was because good ole england loves letting in every tom dick and harry in. Yet Oz was quite different. Not that I am knocking thier visa policy, but its a shame for those families to be apart when in fact it could be something so minor that could stop thier application for skilled worker. I wasnt saying that "my sister is moving out there, so we are entitled to come too". On the contrary.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:16 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

In case you hadnt noticed my husband is training to be an Accountant and I am training to be a nurse. Its not like we are scums of the earth or bums really. It shows that we are both working towards skilled workers. If I remember rightly both of these jobs are on the demand list. The reason I wanted to go out there early was so finish my training in Oz and the same for husband. Considering he has to convert and probably take another qualification when he arrives.

The reason I was shocked was because good ole england loves letting in every tom dick and harry in. Yet Oz was quite different. Not that I am knocking thier visa policy, but its a shame for those families to be apart when in fact it could be something so minor that could stop thier application for skilled worker. I wasnt saying that "my sister is moving out there, so we are entitled to come too". On the contrary.
I think you could relax a bit. My comment wasn't directed at you, it was a general comment about relatives and maybe trying to explain the reasoning behind the system being the way it is. Clearly you are not "the scum of the earth" but lots of people have relatives who are (me included)

You're quite right that it is pretty difficult to get into Oz. One of the major complaints that people have on this site is that the UK lets just about everyone in. So I personally see the strict policies as a good thing. Although I think in terms of family members there could be a little more compassion and looking at things case by case. In your case it would make more sense to do finish your training in Oz so you wouldn't have to convert anything. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Your statement that you were shocked that family visas only went to remaining relatives, carers or dependents certainly sounded like you expected a visa because you were related. You may not have felt you were entitled to it but it your comment certainly sounded like you expected a visa. Sometimes it's hard to interpret what someone means or is thinking when you see a post, so it's easy to have misunderstandings on here.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I wish people who say the UK lets in every Tom Dick and Harry would take a look at the criteria for emigration to UK. Australia is relatively easy to get a visa for. We looked at moving to England before we looked at Australia but didn't qualify. I think if you take a look at the UK immigration site you will find it's actually as difficult, if not moreso, to move there.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:38 am
Canuck/Aussie

I wish people who say the UK lets in every Tom Dick and Harry would take a look at the criteria for emigration to UK. Australia is relatively easy to get a visa for. We looked at moving to England before we looked at Australia but didn't qualify. I think if you take a look at the UK immigration site you will find it's actually as difficult, if not moreso, to move there.
What would it be like for people in Europe who want to move to the UK.

I have seen a comment about how immigraiton was opened up to the EU countries, and that's why the polish people are flocking in.

I have no idea if it's true or not, but if it is it might explain why lots of people are getting in when they wouldn't qualify under stricter rules.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

It is true. People are coming in flocks literally. I work at my local hospital and our towns are full of Eastern Europeans. Hardly anyone actually speaks english. They are building so many houses in our area. The hospital cant cope with the influx of migrants coming in. MAternity units has been closed due to this too. Increase on foreign births and low british births. Its like living in cramp city. I cant wait to move. To have some relaxed, open, climate and change of atmosphere.

Really anyone being refused there are better countries than here. Brits want out and people want to come in. Perhaps a PR exchange may worl Only kidding.

Seriously it is over run with migrants out of work etc.... Not great for our economy.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

It is true. People are coming in flocks literally. I work at my local hospital and our towns are full of Eastern Europeans. Hardly anyone actually speaks english. They are building so many houses in our area. The hospital cant cope with the influx of migrants coming in. MAternity units has been closed due to this too. Increase on foreign births and low british births. Its like living in cramp city. I cant wait to move. To have some relaxed, open, climate and change of atmosphere.

Really anyone being refused there are better countries than here. Brits want out and people want to come in. Perhaps a PR exchange may worl Only kidding.

Seriously it is over run with migrants out of work etc.... Not great for our economy.
Please don't move to aus just to get away from the UK... moving away from something is never a good idea.

There are lots of immigrants in australia too you know, if you get out there you'd be one of them.

In the UK people from other EU countries are entering, this is absolutley essential for the UK economy to survive as they tend to do the jobs British born people won't and we have a massively aging population and very low birth rate. The facts show immigration is boost to our economy not a drain at all.

From outside the EU it is actually very hard to get into the UK- we are very far from letting every Tom, Dick and Harry in. Nor do we ever let people in just because a family member has moved over here.

it would be nice if people checked their facts before making postings like this.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough

belive it or not but the uk is the easiest and australia is the heardest places to move to. when i was married they didnt even ask my wife who is australian at heathrow airport for visas and things like that, they were more concerned with doing there nails and talking to each other which was a shock. they didnt even check out luggage which shocked me more. yet when i went to australia i had to take my laptop apart and show them in side it even the battery, they opened my suit case and scraped dirt yes DIRT of my boots lol
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by antmeister
belive it or not but the uk is the easiest and australia is the heardest places to move to. when i was married they didnt even ask my wife who is australian at heathrow airport for visas and things like that, they were more concerned with doing there nails and talking to each other which was a shock. they didnt even check out luggage which shocked me more. yet when i went to australia i had to take my laptop apart and show them in side it even the battery, they opened my suit case and scraped dirt yes DIRT of my boots lol
it's actually not a question of belief- simply the fact of immigration requirements.

the attitude of the customs offficials is actually irrrelevant here, we're talking about the granting of visas not getting past the customs officials

Oh and the mud has to come off incase it has seeds in it which can get into the fragile australian ecosystem.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I think may be the problem with the UK is that there are other 'Europeans' that have to be let in and yet other nationalities have it pretty hard.

e.g. when highly skilled Japanese engineers and managers come to the UK to work for Japanese companies that are employing many British people, generally if they bring their wives with them, the wife is not allowed to work.

They need to apply for a separate work permit. This creates big family pressures, by meaning that the OP in the relationship has to sit at home and can do no paid work.

Can you imagine how bad this would be in Oz is both partners had to get separate work visas, or one of them just had to sit at home all day.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:55 am
Still alive

Try taking a look at the immigration sites for UK: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp and Australia: www.immi.gov.au for realistic immigration information. I think you will find that Australia has about the easiest pathway to permanent residency of the 3.

Having your wife not asked for a visa to visit UK is different than having a permanent residency visa issued. Travelling from Canada as a Canadian citizen I don't need a visa to visit UK, either!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

belive it or not but the uk is the easiest and australia is the heardest places to move to. when i was married they didnt even ask my wife who is australian at heathrow airport for visas and things like that,

You might believe it but those of us who actually deal with rules don't believe it for a moment.

Australians don't need a tourist visa to visit the United Kingdom.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Please don't move to aus just to get away from the UK... moving away from something is never a good idea.

There are lots of immigrants in australia too you know, if you get out there you'd be one of them.

In the UK people from other EU countries are entering, this is absolutley essential for the UK economy to survive as they tend to do the jobs British born people won't and we have a massively aging population and very low birth rate. The facts show immigration is boost to our economy not a drain at all.

From outside the EU it is actually very hard to get into the UK- we are very far from letting every Tom, Dick and Harry in. Nor do we ever let people in just because a family member has moved over here.

it would be nice if people checked their facts before making postings like this.

I think we are both are on the wrong path here. I am certainly not moving to Australia, because of my sister in law or because I want to get away from other immigrants. There are many reasons that we want to move.

I understand that I will be a immigrant myself. I appreciate Australia offering visa's to those who are skilled enough to move out there.

The point you are missing here is yes ok the figures may look better and the system may look harder. In actual fact the Medway Towns and Ashford has a big Eastern European Community. They have bought literally everyone with them. Perhaps pop down to my area and you will soon see Come into A&E too.

I am not saying they are "not allowed" on the contary. I was mearly pointing out that if every family member can come into our country whether they are indian, filipino, polish, arabic, whatever I was saying that I was shocked that immediate family were not accepted in Australia. If I work with and live in this society surely you can see where the idea comes from and being obviously nieve.

The point is my husband and I have wanted to move there for years and its only been recently that we have noticed a door opening. My husband can gain a visa on his Accountancy in 3 years, or I could on my nursing in 3-4 years or I could if I simply wanted to change industries such as hair dressing in 3 years. With my sister being out there before us I thought it "may" of been easier if we went on a family visa so we could finish our studies out there. Rather than converting and extra study if required. It seemed to make sense to have thier qualifications rather than UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.