Family stopover AND buy a cheap laptop!

Old Sep 18th 2002, 1:21 pm
Remmy

Default Family stopover AND buy a cheap laptop!

Hiya

Trying to book a one way ticket for family in mid Jan - Whooppeeee!.
We'd love to take kids to disney in USA - but very expensive.
Alternative to go east

Can anyone recommend a good stopover in far east for family with 2
girls (8 & 10) - would also like to buy a cheap notebook - anyone had
a good/bad experience with this

Cheers - watch out Brisbane!

Rem

Old Sep 18th 2002, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family stopover AND buy a cheap laptop!

What about Disney Japan. I have been before (albeit some years ago when 12) but was just as good as the one in LA, is good for techy stuff and can also see Mount Fuji, eat lots of sushi (could make this into a poem) and generally experience a different culture. That's what we are thinking of doing anyhow.

Originally posted by Remmy:
Hiya

Trying to book a one way ticket for family in mid Jan - Whooppeeee!.
We'd love to take kids to disney in USA - but very expensive.
Alternative to go east

Can anyone recommend a good stopover in far east for family with 2
girls (8 & 10) - would also like to buy a cheap notebook - anyone had
a good/bad experience with this

Cheers - watch out Brisbane!

Rem
Old Sep 18th 2002, 2:05 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NickyTurner:
What about Disney Japan. I have been before (albeit some years ago when 12) but was just as good as the one in LA, is good for techy stuff and can also see Mount Fuji, eat lots of sushi (could make this into a poem) and generally experience a different culture. That's what we are thinking of doing anyhow.

[/QUOTE

one word... singapore for a cheap laptop, but a word of advice...... HAGGLE!, and walk away, know what you are doing, and you'll come away with a bargain.
Old Sep 18th 2002, 2:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on needing the one way ticket!

Can't answer all your points but on the following I did a lot research. We needed a notebook for non techic husband while waiting for home PC to arrive via ship. I wanted to treat myself to a decent digital camara.

Based on internet research I sussed out all the prices on our requirements. Singapore airport proved a great deal for my digital and I hear there are better deals outside the airport. Remembering you are supposed to declare duty free items coming into Aus! But based on my knowledge (user not techie) we decided that the best deal was buying a notebook here in Aus with all the user set up and relevant insurance and warranties. We have had the notebook 4 months and had to take it back once (turned out to be normal!!!! XP operating issue). It cost about $3500 with the software deal etc. OK this is only my opinion, but it depends on your user requirements and ability which I do not know.

Just a question on your other point - have you been to Disneyland Paris? We couldn't afford the US option either but managed a wet weekend in Paris Disneyland, our 9 year old girl loved it, 11 year old boy was impressed he got on all the rides again and again because of lack of queues in February.

Happy planning
cheers
Old Sep 18th 2002, 2:11 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

bollux to research... I know singapore is cheap, I lived there... and bollux to ticket/tag/net prices... HAGGLE< HAGGLE, HaGGLE... best serious advice that I can give... try simlin towers (spelling) and haggle , forget the net, and forget Singapore airport, it's like buying at Heathrow if you know what I mean. Go into singapore... don't buy at the airport for christ's sake

cheers

P>S
Australia is more expensive than Britain and US for computer goods. they are behind... forget getting a good deal here... I edit films a "hobby of mine" so to speak, and I still find it cheaper to buy what I need from the US and the Uk plus the postage... still works out cheaper.
Australia is the one of the worst in the world for computer prices... don't let anyone tell you different.... They don't know what they are talking about if they say it's cheap... forget it!

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 18th 2002 at 2:24 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2002, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri:
bollux to research... I know singapore is cheap, I lived there... and bollux to ticket/tag/net prices... HAGGLE< HAGGLE, HaGGLE... best serious advice that I can give... try simlin towers (spelling) and haggle , forget the net, and forget Singapore airport, it's like buying at Heathrow if you know what I mean. Go into singapore... don't buy at the airport for christ's sake

cheers

P>S
Australia is more expensive than Britain and US for computer goods. they are behind... forget getting a good deal here... I edit films a "hobby of mine" so to speak, and I still find it cheaper to buy what I need from the US and the Uk plus the postage... still works out cheaper.
Australia is the one of the worst in the world for computer prices... don't let anyone tell you different.... They don't know what they are talking about if they say it's cheap... forget it!

cheers
yes have to agree with all this.
we bought digital camrea in airport on way to oz. then on stopover on way back haggled on somthing i already had in a shop in little india, managed to get it down by 20%.
one other thing to consider apparently malaysia is cheaper again, than singapore, and you can do a day trip there from singapore as an excursion.
oh sentosa island on singapore is a great place for a short stopover in singapore.
shaun
Old Sep 18th 2002, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ceri

Dont mention your film editing hobby to Baldbutts. I know he's a few of his own that need work and you dont want to see them, believe me. He and Mrs Baldy have their own studio- they'll ne inviting you round next!

[
Old Sep 18th 2002, 2:51 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

cheers [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Hi Ceri - I didn't say I got a bargain, I stated my opinon, I do not know the techie ability of the people asking the question. I do know I did my research and the notebook and warranty we bought were reasonable. I am well aware australian prices are high but we weighed that up against being able to easily get the technical support we might want/desire for our purchases.

My brother buys spare laptops and builds the software specs for the family for very very little cost. Still not worth me getting one before I came out cause I do not have the techinical ability to support any problems I might encounter!!

So cheap is only cheap if it suits you.

PS I know this is going to make me sound a pratt but I object to the blasphemy in your mail, 'never mind the ********' I will put that down to a Sex Pistols reference!!!!

Old Sep 18th 2002, 3:00 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by shaun/lor:

yes have to agree with all this.
we bought digital camrea in airport on way to oz. then on stopover on way back haggled on somthing i already had in a shop in little india, managed to get it down by 20%.
one other thing to consider apparently malaysia is cheaper again, than singapore, and you can do a day trip there from singapore as an excursion.
oh sentosa island on singapore is a great place for a short stopover in singapore.
shaun
I've got it... excuse me shaun , ") I get these moments (garbling Idiot Welsh Tw*t AS I am... smile)... lol...brain storm....... Ive been out of singapore for five years, although I lived there for 5.... memory, memories... ah never mind...
still got my "green card"... still valid., and my "racing license"... used to race for the Singapore kart club.

Albert complex ..!!! ... try there. (that's my brain storm )

p.s.
anyone living in singapore now ... on this forum?, I need to ask them a question concerning a death of a good friend of mine, in Batam (indonesia), ... you'll know what I mean if your living there in singapore... a bit sensitive.....

cheers
Old Sep 18th 2002, 3:04 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Sandra,

No insult was intended... sorry, I have this habit of sounding like a prat... I did not mean to insult you, .... this is the trouble with the net... words sound harsh, unless you put little smiley faces everywhere... hang on .... .... .... )....

cheers

sorry it was seemed to be picking on your message, I am not an aggressive person... I need to put everywhere ...

eh?

hang ON
AND SOME MORE

HANG ON... I FEEL ANOTHER ONE

AH... never mind

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 18th 2002 at 3:18 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2002, 3:21 pm
Gone Senile Member

Ceri Cheers - No insult taken, just explaining!

I work for a software company as a development analyst - or is that anal - ist? Having to be aware of customer ability is an occupational hazard, when my husband was the customer the technical support with the laptop was of prime importance.

Have to be careful here with what I say, he now wants to join the forum independantly (getting better all the time with that laptop) he might check up on my postings!!!!

Back to the original post - with another thought, does the going west idea hold more weight if you take into account the possibility of extra baggage allowance some airlines allow?

Cheers
Old Sep 18th 2002, 3:28 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
Hi Ceri

Dont mention your film editing hobby to Baldbutts. I know he's a few of his own that need work and you dont want to see them, believe me. He and Mrs Baldy have their own studio- they'll ne inviting you round next!

[
... I don't want to know thankyou ... sick! baldbut .. lol
Old Sep 18th 2002, 3:33 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by Sandra:

Ceri Cheers - No insult taken, just explaining!

I work for a software company as a development analyst - or is that anal - ist? Having to be aware of customer ability is an occupational hazard, when my husband was the customer the technical support with the laptop was of prime importance.

Have to be careful here with what I say, he now wants to join the forum independantly (getting better all the time with that laptop) he might check up on my postings!!!!

Back to the original post - with another thought, does the going west idea hold more weight if you take into account the possibility of extra baggage allowance some airlines allow?

Cheers
Sorry mate , you've lost me about the baggage...

anyway delete your history ... for hubby not to know... nosy git eh?.... I'm in a partnership (defacto) and him, he always wants a look.... delete your history.

cheers
Old Sep 18th 2002, 3:53 pm
Gone Senile Member

[/QUOTE]

I meant in reference to the original post that we are gabbing on

- Going West to Aus from the UK, some of the airlines offer a greater baggage allowance through US, there are earlier threads with this information. Means you might save some money in excess baggage, unless you already have the emigrate extra luggage allowance that some airlines offer. We didn't have that option as we arrived here 4 months ago on a 457 work visa. Funny story at the time, we arrived at airport 20 - 25 kgs each, 2 adults 2 kids, very panicky cause we weighed it on the bathroom scales, we were over of course, had a mate in tow in case we had to repack the kids rollar blades etc to take back and send them on later, but very very nice guy from singapore airlines said no issue and let us through. Not that glad he did 10 days after arriving in Aus, darling son broke his arm at the skate park.

cheers
Old Sep 18th 2002, 4:42 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
Hi Ceri

[
Oy keep it down,Baldette don,t know about me studio/darkroom.I'm in the middle of me latest project "Baldy does Dallas(cowboys)".
And Ceri, you really don't know what yer missing,and my top tip:always take a spare set of keys to one of my parties incase you pull an ugly fat minger first time round

:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.