Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Family Sponsored Tourist Visa-'security bond'

Family Sponsored Tourist Visa-'security bond'

Old May 7th 2008, 11:20 am
Just Joined

nigerboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Family Sponsored Tourist Visa-'security bond'

My wife has just recently lodged an application for a family sponsored tourist visa(subclass 679) for her mum to visit . We requested for 12-month visa, as we've just had our first child, and she could help with childcare and help save some $$$$$.

However, DIAC have noted that they will be requesting a security bond!
I moved to Oz about a year ago from UK and my mum often visits us and her brother at least once every two years, and she hasn't for any reason broken any immigration rule in her whole life.

Unfortunately we cannot afford this bond, and the whole trip is costing an arm and a leg already (health insurance, tickets, medicals etc)

Is it possible to ask for the bond to be waived by DIAC? Because, it is my understanding that the bond is 'discretionary'.

And if we decide not to pay, and visa gets refused, would we have any chance of appeal (ie MRT)? If so, can the MRT waive the requirement for bond on the basis that the applicant doesn't pose any risk.

Any advice will be appreciated,as my wife is really worried. We really want my mother-in-law to meet her grandson (he is only 3 weeks old!).

Regards

nigerboy