Exit Stamp in Passport

Old Sep 27th 2003, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exit Stamp in Passport

Hi,
Bit of an odd question this one - I'm hoping one of the agents will pick it up, if not maybe someone else knows the answer.

My fiance left the UK, travelling on an Aussie passport and travelling back to Oz, and his passport wasn't stamped on exit (though it was on entry). So are we right in assuming that as far as UK Immigration are concerned he is still here? Does he need a stamp to say he's left, or does he need to contact anyone to say he has actually left? Or does it go through to immigration by another route?

He was just here as a normal tourist, and when he entered his passport was stamped "6 month stay". All we are trying to avoid is him being stopped next time we come over, and then being accused of overtsaying.

Advice appreciated!

Pollyana
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:03 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exit Stamp in Passport

Originally posted by Pollyana
My fiance left the UK, travelling on an Aussie passport and travelling back to Oz, and his passport wasn't stamped on exit (though it was on entry). So are we right in assuming that as far as UK Immigration are concerned he is still here? Does he need a stamp to say he's left, or does he need to contact anyone to say he has actually left? Or does it go through to immigration by another route?

He was just here as a normal tourist, and when he entered his passport was stamped "6 month stay". All we are trying to avoid is him being stopped next time we come over, and then being accused of overtsaying.
Pollyana,

Some countries (e.g. Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, PR China, Korea etc) have a tidy entry/exit endorsement regime. These countries will stamp your passport upon entry and stamp it again upon exit, usually near the same area/page on your passport.

Australia has an untidy entry/exit endorsement regime. The officer simply stamps on any area available to him/her. An entry stamp here, an exit stamp there and you have a very untidy passport!

Canada, the US, (and according to your report) the UK have an entry-only endorsement practice. I remember I didn't even have to present my passport when I departed Canada!

In your case, the best proof (since there is no exit endorsement) is to insist on an entry endorsement at your destination airport and/or keep your boarding pass stubs.

AFAIK, there may be no way for you to get an exit endorsement for certain countries. Case in point is Canada: since there isn't even a passport control counter for departing passengers, how would I get anything resembling an exit endorsement on my passport? Obviously I can't, and I didn't.

HTH

Peter
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:23 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter,
Only having a UK passport myself (at preesent!) I wasn't sure whether there would be an exit stamp anyway. He did get one from The Netherlands when we were there, just to confuse me further!
Thanks for clearing that up - he can come back again without fear of being done for overstaying then!!

Pollyana
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Peter,
Only having a UK passport myself (at preesent!) I wasn't sure whether there would be an exit stamp anyway. He did get one from The Netherlands when we were there, just to confuse me further!
Thanks for clearing that up - he can come back again without fear of being done for overstaying then!!

Pollyana
Uk immigration is so chaotic that people who have overstayed have had no problems geting back in. I know this from people who have overstayed and returned to the UK/
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:48 am
Home and Happy

I know - not the most organised immigration system ever (understatement of the century) - but knowing our luck he would be the one person they decided to pick up on!
We've both learnt from experience, better safe than sorry!!

Apparently, as he went through Terminal 3 noone even LOOKED at his passport, never mind stamped it. He had more hassle getting back into the UK after 2 days in Amsterdam!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:20 am

I know - not the most organised immigration system ever (understatement of the century) - but knowing our luck he would be the one person they decided to pick up on!
We've both learnt from experience, better safe than sorry!!

Apparently, as he went through Terminal 3 noone even LOOKED at his passport, never mind stamped it. He had more hassle getting back into the UK after 2 days in Amsterdam!

Australians going to London from Amsterdam are probably targeted. I do not know what the policy is but there does not appear to be an immigration outbound desk at a lot of the UK airports. The only people witnessing the passport being security control and airline staff. It is the exception to have the passport winnesed on exit.

PTLabs advice about ticket/boarding pass stubs and validation on arrival at next destination(if possible) is the thing to do.

What was the hassle about from Amsterdam? How old is your fiancee? If he looked like a backpacker without funds then he is on a target list. I have heard a few stories from people who have experienced this. The one who had a 1 way ticket was sent straight back to Australia.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:39 am
Home and Happy

No, looked perfectly respectable actually, I think they were confused by the fact that he had come in from Oz, then gone to Amsterdam for 2 days, then back to the UK! Wanted the papers for his flight back to Oz - which of course were at my place! And he couldn't remember the flight numbers. Poor soul, never left Oz before and he was a bit baffled by it all I think!
Could've been worse - if he'd looked like a backpacker they probably would've searched him. Wouldn't have found anything, but he'd have been soooooooo hacked off!

Then someone told him at work back in Oz that without an exit stamp he'd be in trouble if he came back here.......
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:53 am

No, looked perfectly respectable actually, I think they were confused by the fact that he had come in from Oz, then gone to Amsterdam for 2 days, then back to the UK! Wanted the papers for his flight back to Oz - which of course were at my place! And he couldn't remember the flight numbers. Poor soul, never left Oz before and he was a bit baffled by it all I think!
Could've been worse - if he'd looked like a backpacker they probably would've searched him. Wouldn't have found anything, but he'd have been soooooooo hacked off!

Then someone told him at work back in Oz that without an exit stamp he'd be in trouble if he came back here.......
The exit stamp thing is not something to worry about. As you said return ticket back to OZ is what they want along with funds or someone saying they will support him(ie you). British immigration may well hassle him again but you are now prepared.

I had hassle in NZ last month and had to show my itinererary because I was on an e ticket.

Australian customs and immigration tend to like my bags. I have had them searched 2 out of the 4 times I have entered OZ. Everything gets X rayed. I find the quickest way through is in the something to declare line. Just buy 2 litres of spirit and you have something to declare and still have no duty to pay.