ENS 856 & Skills Assessment

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:18 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default ENS 856 & Skills Assessment

Hi. We are currently in Sydney on a 457. We have been here for almost three months and would like to apply for PR. It was always our intention to apply for PR because we have two small children, and would like the security that that provides having sold up and moved, but my husbands company wanted us over here asap so we went with the 457. My husbands company have agreed that they will sponsor us for PR, and his job is on the ENSOL and MODL. He has been granted a license to practice from the relevant licensing/registration board here in NSW (his UK qualification is seen as being equivalent to the qualification held in Australia).

I have been reading the immi website to get an idea of what the next steps are so that I can get the paperwork/references side of thing moving on our part. Am I correct in thinking that we can apply for an ENS 856 as soon as, providing that hubby passes a skills assessment. Having looked at the lists, I can see that his job (optical dispenser which falls under the category of optical mechanic) needs to be assessed by the TRA.

Having looked on the TRA information, am I right in thinking that we need to provide detailed references (including what he does, what equipment he uses and how he uses it, right down to the smallest detail) from each of his jobs, plus details of his pre-registration year and his professional qualifications and a breakdown of what was covered at uni? How far back should I go with his employment history? There is one employer that he raised a grievance against for constructive dismissal (she settled before it went as far as a tribunal) but that was back in early 2001, so I don't know if I have to include that one. I think she lives in Spain now, so I would have no idea as to how to get hold of a reference anyway.

Any advice or experience that anyone could give would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ENS 856 & Skills Assessment

As far as I know, regarding skill assessment, if you read booklet 5 you should see that it says for ENS purposes, if he has a state/territory license or registration, that should normally count as a skill assessment.

So you may not need a TRA assessment.

What occupation does the state registration entitle him to do?

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 23rd 2009 at 5:06 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:22 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

He is registered with the NSW Optical Dispensers Licensing Board as an Optical Dispenser.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

izzyhez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Little Kitty Cat,

Could I just pick your brains for a mo and ask you to explain what the role of an Optical Dispenser/Optical Mechanic is in Oz.

Is it the same as a Dispensing Optician or DO in the UK. Or is it simply as it says an Optical Dispenser with lab experience.

The reason I ask is me and my family are currently looking at the move to Oz and am interested in getting assessed for this role. I am an Assistant Manager of a store in the UK with 17 years working experience in the optical and eyewear industry,mainly dispensing with some lab work. I have various employer type qualifications including an internal diploma and an NVQ level 3 in management but no degree as such.

Any advice would be most appreciated.