Employment references - Will they know?

Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:28 pm
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Employment references - Will they know?

Nothing fancy - Just a BTEC Ordinary National Diploma in computer studies, and about 8 years related work experience.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:52 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Employment references - Will they know?

Originally Posted by Alborg
Hello. I am from the UK and looking to apply for Skilled Independent migration to Australia specifying "accountant" as my skilled occupation. I have an accountancy degree and am a member of CIMA (Chartered Institue Of Management Accountants) although I'm not fully qualified. Despite this, from the research I have done, I'm confident that I will be able to pass the skills assessment through CPA. However, i'm not at all confident about my recent work experience.

For the last four years I've been working in IT. Since I have no qualifications in IT I have no chance of applying through this way. However the last time I worked in an accountancy position was in 1999 - approx five years ago. I'm 28. I believe I need to show work experience for 12 out of the last 18 months. I setup my own company over 12mths ago so this doesn't pose too much of a problem. However since the points test has been raised to 120 I need an extra 10 points ie. 3 years work experience out of the last 4. As a result I find the need to bend the truth a little ie. extending my last accountancy position and maybe filling in a bit here or there.

I believe references are needed from all employers. Not in itself a problem. However there maybe a discrepancy in the job title and role.

So considering there are thousands of applicants every year could it be possible to bend the truth a little without stepping on too many toes? Do they check all applications or just those from certain countries? Do they check all references or just recent ones?

Sorry for such a frank post but you can't blame me for trying. I am a good person.....honest! I have no criminal convictions ("yet"...I hear you say) and a clean bill of health. I feel I have everything else in place apart from my work experience I've also exhausted my 1 year working visa.

Hope you can offer some friendly advice/experiences.

I had a uncle was court out not telling the truth when trying to go back to australia ,when he had an interview with immigration they said is there any thing you wish to tell them he said no and they refused his visa on the grounds of lying his wife was australian born and her mother was dying thats how he got back 3 years of letters from both sides of the world, think carefully before not telling the truth. Good Luck
Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:18 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Employment references - Will they know?

Originally Posted by Alborg
Nice suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have $100k to spare.
Hubby was asked by dimia for the last 4 years P60's or accounts report as to his earnings to satisfy the 3 out of 4 rule, you may become unstuck if asked the same, you can only fiddle so much with the tax man as I am sure you are aware, so gaining back dated tax bills for you being an accountant I think are just about impossible.
Jenny