Employment and English Language Query

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

congar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment and English Language Query

Dear All,

This is my first time visiting this site and posting a new thread. Hope it is not too boring!!

I am thinking of applying for a general skilled migrant visa (Registered Nurse). However ido not have the 12-18 month basic work experience requirement before applying , i have been studying full time (different course).

My problem is that i hope to start employment this month (June 2003) and apply June 2004 to cover my 12 month basic work experience dilemma - HOWEVER would it matter if i become pregnant and take maternity leave during this 12 month period, or would it be seen that my employment contract states that i started employment in June 2003 and it is now June 2004 and therefore the basic work requirement is met?

Also, how do i prove i am a native english speaker on my initial application?

Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance for any help given!

Congar
Old Jun 4th 2003, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Mark Webster is on a distinguished road

Congar,

The safest solution would be to apply after you have worked for 12 months or more, excluding any periods of leave. DIMIA would generally require you to work for at least 20 hours per week for pay for you to be considered to be in "employment".

I have asked DIMIA about the issue of leave before and their advice was that periods of paid leave can be considered as "employment" for migration purposes. Unpaid leave would not be considered employment. This seems to make sense, as you would consider time spent on paid holiday leave to be part of a continuous period of employment.

There is nothing clearly stated in the PAM on the issue of leave that I am aware of, so the answer is not black and white.

In terms of your English language ability, it is usually considered "not necessary" to undertake English language testing where:
- a person has a qualification at the diploma level or higher which was taught in English; or
- the person is a native English speaker.

Best of luck.