Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Employer Reference Letters - advise from Experts please

Employer Reference Letters - advise from Experts please

Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

learner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employer Reference Letters - advise from Experts please

I have got reference letters from my present and the last company I worked with. It briefy outlines my work, responsibilities, work period and salary.... thats all they will give me ( even though I sent them a detailed letter format). I have been reading in this forum about people getting detailed reference letters. Does that make a lot of difference to DIMIA/ IEAUST? Also do I need to get new reference letters from employers I worked with 4-5 years ago. I have old refernce letters from them when I left those places. I am not sure if anyone I worked with is still around.

thanks
Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hans de Visser is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't matter to IEAust (they don't require a specific format for reference letters), but it does to DIMIA. Apparently inadequate employer references are one of the major causes in application refusals or delays. You mentioned a detailed letter format, I assume that was made according to page 34 of the skilled migration booklet? Try (again) to get letters according to that format. I understand that this means going back to your (old) boss(es) again, which can be annoying, but it may save you lots of time in the future, if DIMIA starts to ask for those letters later on. Try mentioning to your old boss(es) that it is not just any reference, but for migration purposes and hence a special format is required.
I don't think you'd need to get new references for jobs from more than 4 years ago. DIMIA is only interested in the last 12-18 months (60p occupation) or the last 2-3 years (40/50p), and in the last 3-4 years if you claim specific work experience, I think, but I'm no expert/migration agent.

Last edited by Hans de Visser; Sep 17th 2003 at 11:20 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

sunsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Hans de Visser
It doesn't matter to IEAust (they don't require a specific format for reference letters), but it does to DIMIA. Apparently inadequate employer references are one of the major causes in application refusals or delays. You mentioned a detailed letter format, I assume that was made according to page 34 of the skilled migration booklet? Try (again) to get letters according to that format. I understand that this means going back to your (old) boss(es) again, which can be annoying, but it may save you lots of time in the future, if DIMIA starts to ask for those letters later on. Try mentioning to your old boss(es) that it is not just any reference, but for migration purposes and hence a special format is required.
I don't think you'd need to get new references for jobs from more than 4 years ago. DIMIA is only interested in the last 12-18 months (60p occupation) or the last 2-3 years (40/50p), and in the last 3-4 years if you claim specific work experience, I think, but I'm no expert/migration agent.
I know how difficult it can be to get the exact format that is mentioned in the migration booklet. I tried my best and still couldn't get the exact thing I wanted from my previous employers. In such cases, it may help to make your case strong by including additional documents. For example, you can include copies of appreciation letters you may have received whenever you did a good job, you can include promotion letters, or anything you have got that is relevant to your employment history. When building your case, just keep in mind the bottomline that DIMIA is trying to make sure that what you are claiming to be is what you are in reality.
Also, look for other similar posts, people have posted many innovative ways of getting lengthy employment references.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 4:41 am
oozie04

Hello,

My employer reference consist of one page only and it contains all the details like :

1) official letter head(contains full address of the company)
2) Start date/End Date
3)Salary
4)11 responsibilities
5)workshops that i attended
6)name of the person who signed it with designation and stamp and his contact information

I am in 2231-11(System Manager) group, and my responsibilities are mentioned as:

1 Manage Network Installation, maintenance, testing, and decisions.
2 Installation, Configuration of Dell, HP, Compaq Workgroup and Enterprise Servers
3 Installation, Configuration, Troubleshooting of Netware/NT/2000 Networks
4 Installation, Configuration and Maintenance of RAID 1, RAID 5 Fault-Tolerance Methods
5 Installation, Configuration and Troubleshooting of PRI & BRI ISDN Routers
6 Configuration and Troubleshooting of Ethernet Network router, switches, and DCE devices
7 Installation, Configuration and Maintenance of HP, Seagate and Third Party Backup Devices
8 Network Administration Support for NT/2000/Novell Networks
9 Installation and Configuration of Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
10 On/Off Site Support for Network Users Problems
11 Network Hardware Maintenance and Support
12 Supervise 4 Network Technicians
13 Consultancy for Network Security

Do you think that still I need multi page letter even if a single page confirm all my skills and matched DIMIA requirements.

Regards

Ozzie04

Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:24 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by oozie04
My employer reference consist of one page only and it contains all the details like :

2) Start date/End Date
3)Salary
4)11 responsibilities
6)name of the person who signed it with designation and stamp and his contact information
You beter read the Skilled Migration Booklet again. I can at least one important point missed out.

Peter
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:39 am
oozie04

Dear Peter,

If your point is Full-Time/Part-Time, it is there on the letter. Sorry, I forgot to mention it. Please advise if any other crucial point is missing. I will be grateful to you. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ozzie04

Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:45 am
George Lombard

Default Re: Employer Reference Letters - advise from Experts please

Hi Peter,

And I think that the employer reference requirements notice from DIMIA is
probably the best help we can give people in this situation. I know I
emailed it to you, do you want to be the distributor, or will I? Either
way, happy to make it available to people requesting it.

Cheers

George Lombard
--
www.austimmigration.com.au

"ptlabs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by oozie04
    > > My employer reference consist of one page only and it contains all the
    > > details like :
    > >
    > > 1) official letter head(contains full address of the company)
    > > 2) Start date/End Date
    > > 3)Salary
    > > 4)11 responsibilities
    > > 5)workshops that i attended
    > > 6)name of the person who signed it with designation and stamp and his
    > > contact information
    > >
    > You beter read the Skilled Migration Booklet again. I can at least one
    > important point missed out.
    > Peter
    > --
    > This post is an expression of opinion and is neither legal nor immigration
advice.
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 18th 2003, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

off2aus is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be great if one of you could put the list of information that is required in the employer reference document ...

Waiting for the information. I am in the process of collecting all information for aplying for skilled migration in a month as my skills assessment is being done.

Thanks! This forum is great!

Cheers!
off2aus
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:18 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by George Lombard
And I think that the employer reference requirements notice from DIMIA is probably the best help we can give people in this situation. I know I emailed it to you, do you want to be the distributor, or will I? Either way, happy to make it available to people requesting it.
Hi George,

I did a word for word comparison of the employer reference requirements notice you passed me the other time with what's written on page 34 of the Skilled Migration Booklet 6 (July 2003) and they don't seem to differ much except in sentence structure

Perhaps you could make the Word document available on your website (if it doesn't infringe on any DIMIA copyrights that is...)

Cheers,
Peter
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:20 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by off2aus
It will be great if one of you could put the list of information that is required in the employer reference document ...

Waiting for the information.
You only need to wait as long as the time you need to download the Skilled Migration Booklet 6 (July 2003 version). It's on page 34.

Peter
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

learner is an unknown quantity at this point

I am applying under the offshore skilled - designated area category. The booklet says that the person needs to be in employment for 6 months (instead of the usual 12) out of the last 18 months. I meet that requirement (6 months of work exp this year). But last year - 2002 and second half of 2001 I was a student at the university. So do I have to get that detailed letter from the employer I worked with from 1999 -2001. I had a tough time asking them to give me the detailed format even after saying that it was immigration purposes. After weeks of follow up they sent a one page letter and not the detailed format I sent by email to them.
Any thoughts on this...?

regards
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:16 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by learner
I am applying under the offshore skilled - designated area category. The booklet says that the person needs to be in employment for 6 months (instead of the usual 12) out of the last 18 months. I meet that requirement (6 months of work exp this year). But last year - 2002 and second half of 2001 I was a student at the university. So do I have to get that detailed letter from the employer I worked with from 1999 -2001.
<snip>
Any thoughts on this...?
learner,

For 139 applicants, if your nominated occupation is worth 60 points, you'll need to be employed in any SOL occupation for 6 months out of 12 months immediately before applying. If it's a 40- or 50-pointer, you'll need 12 months out of 18 instead.

139 applications are not points tested, so there is no need to show more work experience than the one required for you to meet the basic requirements' recent work experience criterion, as mentioned above.

Peter
Old Sep 19th 2003, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Format for Employer References

Please view this as an opinion and not absolute.

I would recommend that you give your employers an example of what you would like included in the reference; that's what I did with my employer references. I even had to go back to an employer several times, until I was convinced it was appropriate. You might want to struggle and sweat it out now, rather than send a half-decent application to DIMIA, while spending a lot of money and being unsure if your application will be approved.

Originally posted by sunsh
I know how difficult it can be to get the exact format that is mentioned in the migration booklet. I tried my best and still couldn't get the exact thing I wanted from my previous employers. In such cases, it may help to make your case strong by including additional documents. For example, you can include copies of appreciation letters you may have received whenever you did a good job, you can include promotion letters, or anything you have got that is relevant to your employment history. When building your case, just keep in mind the bottomline that DIMIA is trying to make sure that what you are claiming to be is what you are in reality.
Also, look for other similar posts, people have posted many innovative ways of getting lengthy employment references.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quality of Reference is adequate

Please view this as an opinion and not absolute.

Your reference sounds pretty good to me. It has listed the necessary info. I don't think that it needs to be lengthy.

Originally posted by oozie04
Hello,

2) Start date/End Date
3)Salary
4)11 responsibilities

I am in 2231-11(System Manager) group, and my responsibilities are mentioned as:

1 Manage Network Installation, maintenance, testing, and decisions.
2 Installation, Configuration of Dell, HP, Compaq Workgroup and Enterprise Servers
3 Installation, Configuration, Troubleshooting of Netware/NT/2000 Networks
4 Installation, Configuration and Maintenance of RAID 1, RAID 5 Fault-Tolerance Methods
5 Installation, Configuration and Troubleshooting of PRI & BRI ISDN Routers
6 Configuration and Troubleshooting of Ethernet Network router, switches, and DCE devices
7 Installation, Configuration and Maintenance of HP, Seagate and Third Party Backup Devices
8 Network Administration Support for NT/2000/Novell Networks
9 Installation and Configuration of Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
10 On/Off Site Support for Network Users Problems
11 Network Hardware Maintenance and Support
12 Supervise 4 Network Technicians
13 Consultancy for Network Security

Do you think that still I need multi page letter even if a single page confirm all my skills and matched DIMIA requirements.

Regards

Ozzie04
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Steven O'Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

The latest format required by DIMIA is as follows. Please note that additional information is required if the occupation is in marketing ...

INSTRUCTIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT REFERENCES
A common requirement for applicants for migration to Australia is the presentation of employment references which support statements from the applicant regarding employment
history and skills obtained. Many of the employment references provided by applicants are not
acceptable for migration purposes because they are illegible, unintelligible, not signed by an
authorised person or impossible to verify.
It is therefore essential that any employment references you present in support of your
application have the following characteristics:

the reference must be on the official letterhead of the company or government department;

the letterhead should indicate clearly the full address of the company and any telephone,
telex or facsimile numbers;

the name and position of the person authorised to sign the employment reference should be
typed or stamped below that person’s signature – a reference with an illegible signature will
not be accepted;

the contact telephone number of the person writing the reference should be shown;

the letter should state the exact period of employment and include clearly stated details of –

whether employment permanent or temporary, and full or part-time. For any periods of
part-time work, details must be given of the weekly hours and of any variations in hours;

descriptions of position/s held (positions should not be described by generic titles (eg
research officer, public servant) but according to the nature of the duties undertaken (eg
research chemist, accounts clerk), and of at least the five main duties undertaken;

annual salary being earned;

also include both an official Duty Statement for the position/s you have been working in plus
an organisation chart showing how your position/s fit into the structure of the company;

a recent payslip from your current employment should also be included.

Employment references which do not include sufficient information for the assessing officer to
reach a decision on an application will not be accepted. This will cause significant delays in
processing your application, as we will have to write to you and advise that your application
cannot proceed until we receive acceptable employment references. If you fail to provide
sufficient information your application may be refused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.