emmigrating to Oz

Old Aug 8th 2004, 10:13 am
Just Joined

kells33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emmigrating to Oz

Hi,

I have a few questions for anyone that has emmigrated to Australia - mainly entry requirements etc and how people managed to get into the country!

Basically i have lived in the UK all my life with the exception of 4 years in Australia when i was little. Most of my family have moved to Australia in the last 4 years and i miss them greatly and want to be with them! After looking through the visa requirements, i am not entitled to a visa even though my Dad, Sister, Aunt and cousins are living over there - they cant even sponser me because i am not a dependant child. Im 34, have 3 children and a partner - we are hard working, would have quite a bit of money if i sold my house and really want to start a new life in Australia. Its so frustrating having my family the other side of the world and not able to see them on regular occasions. I miss them so much, you wouldnt believe.

Ill just say here that my dad and aunt have Australian residency and citizenship - my dad moved to Oz 20 years ago as a skilled carpenter - my Aunt married an Aussie and my sister has just been relocated through her work on the skilled working visa and her employers are sponsering her till she gets residency. I cant do any of these!!

Does anyone have any similar experience or can anyone tell me any ways around my dilema!

thank you

Kells
Old Aug 8th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: emmigrating to Oz

Originally Posted by kells33
Hi,

I have a few questions for anyone that has emmigrated to Australia - mainly entry requirements etc and how people managed to get into the country!

Basically i have lived in the UK all my life with the exception of 4 years in Australia when i was little. Most of my family have moved to Australia in the last 4 years and i miss them greatly and want to be with them! After looking through the visa requirements, i am not entitled to a visa even though my Dad, Sister, Aunt and cousins are living over there - they cant even sponser me because i am not a dependant child. Im 34, have 3 children and a partner - we are hard working, would have quite a bit of money if i sold my house and really want to start a new life in Australia. Its so frustrating having my family the other side of the world and not able to see them on regular occasions. I miss them so much, you wouldnt believe.

Ill just say here that my dad and aunt have Australian residency and citizenship - my dad moved to Oz 20 years ago as a skilled carpenter - my Aunt married an Aussie and my sister has just been relocated through her work on the skilled working visa and her employers are sponsering her till she gets residency. I cant do any of these!!

Does anyone have any similar experience or can anyone tell me any ways around my dilema!

thank you

Kells
have you tried last remaining relative
Old Aug 8th 2004, 11:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emmigrating to Oz

Originally Posted by sunshine23
have you tried last remaining relative
That would not work as Kells has a partner and children.

Unless you have particular skills then it will be difficult.

An agent may be able to help.

G
Old Aug 8th 2004, 1:01 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

thank you

Kells

Hi Kells,

Easiest approach is to plan to come here and study here for two years for an appropriate qualification with a view to being sponsored by one of your relatives, preferably one living in a designated area. We see dozens of people doing this from less developed countries, and the education system here has adapted itself to make some qualifications quite easy to obtain.

But see a migration agent first to make sure you're not overlooking something.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Aug 8th 2004, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Kells,

Easiest approach is to plan to come here and study here for two years for an appropriate qualification with a view to being sponsored by one of your relatives, preferably one living in a designated area. We see dozens of people doing this from less developed countries, and the education system here has adapted itself to make some qualifications quite easy to obtain.

But see a migration agent first to make sure you're not overlooking something.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Thanks George, that sounds like a good plan!

Have you any idea of sites what i can look through for good things to study - I am very much into hotel management so something along these lines would be good. Am i allowed to go to Oz and study though when i could perfectly well do it here in the UK? Or do i have to study something that would benefit Australia once i have finished stuyding? Also, what would happen once i have finished studying, would i have to return to the UK? Only my children would of by that time been settled etc. My family would be prepared to sponser me on any occasion. If i studied, would i also be able to work? My partner works for a huge global company and may be able to transfer to the Sydney office, but they wouldnt sponser him. Alos, would it help if my partner and i were married?

Also, regarding designated areas, i have family in Kurrajong, NSW - Sydney, NSW, and Nerang which is on the Gold Coast in QLD - I dont think any of these would be classed under the designated area scheme.

There seems so much to find out and learn and i suppose its best to have some sort of plan of action. Im so grateful for your advice, it has shed a new prospective on things - I would appreciate any answers to these questions i have rasied.

I have got the telephone number of a migration agent, here in the UK. I shall give him a call - they do a basic over the phone assesment without cost. Hopefully they would be able to shed some light etc.

Kells
Old Aug 8th 2004, 8:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks George, that sounds like a good plan!

Have you any idea of sites what i can look through for good things to study - I am very much into hotel management so something along these lines would be good. Am i allowed to go to Oz and study though when i could perfectly well do it here in the UK? Or do i have to study something that would benefit Australia once i have finished stuyding?
Education for overseas students in Australia is a significant revenue earner for the government and education providers. There's no need to do something specifically of 'benefit to Australia' but if you want PR then you need to choose carefully as the rules for that are tricky.

Also, what would happen once i have finished studying, would i have to return to the UK? Only my children would of by that time been settled etc.
If you qualify for PR, you can apply onshore provided you don't fall foul of the complex rules. However - if you don't qualify for PR - you do have to go home.

My family would be prepared to sponser me on any occasion. If i studied, would i also be able to work?
Limited work rights in term time, full work rights outside term-time. But don't overestimate your earnings capability on a student visa - high quality work is unlikely to be available and with other demands on your time, you will be limited in what you can do.

There's plenty of information on the DIMIA site:
http://www.immi.gov.au/study/index.htm

My partner works for a huge global company and may be able to transfer to the Sydney office, but they wouldnt sponser him.
Unfortunately one normally needs to be quite senior and/or well thought of in a corporation to be transferred and sponsored. And if one wants to go to a *specific* country, it's necessary often to wait for a vacancy to arise or impress sufficiently the local managers so they decide to suffle their people to make room sooner.

Does he have any chance of qualifying for skilled sponsored PR in his own right? What's his occupation? Your relatives would be able to provide the sponsorship, while he provides the skills.

Alos, would it help if my partner and i were married?
If you have been cohabiting for at least 12 months, it makes little difference (except you have to evidence the cohabitation ... )

Also, regarding designated areas, i have family in Kurrajong, NSW - Sydney, NSW, and Nerang which is on the Gold Coast in QLD - I dont think any of these would be classed under the designated area scheme.

Unlikely. You can check the postcodes yourself:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...ated_areas.htm

This is going to make your study plans less feasible as it's likely you are going to have to study to degree level (unless you already have a degree) to get the necessary 50 points to have a good chance of skilled sponsored.

There's also a rule now that the Australian qualification must be 'relevant' to your nominated occupation - what this means is that some qualifications will be knocked back on this basis. You definitely need some professional advice, but the first port of call should be to look at your partner's CV and see if he can qualify for skilled sponsored on his own merits.

Jeremy
Old Aug 8th 2004, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Education for overseas students in Australia is a significant revenue earner for the government and education providers. There's no need to do something specifically of 'benefit to Australia' but if you want PR then you need to choose carefully as the rules for that are tricky.

If you qualify for PR, you can apply onshore provided you don't fall foul of the complex rules. However - if you don't qualify for PR - you do have to go home.

Limited work rights in term time, full work rights outside term-time. But don't overestimate your earnings capability on a student visa - high quality work is unlikely to be available and with other demands on your time, you will be limited in what you can do.

There's plenty of information on the DIMIA site:
http://www.immi.gov.au/study/index.htm

Unfortunately one normally needs to be quite senior and/or well thought of in a corporation to be transferred and sponsored. And if one wants to go to a *specific* country, it's necessary often to wait for a vacancy to arise or impress sufficiently the local managers so they decide to suffle their people to make room sooner.

Does he have any chance of qualifying for skilled sponsored PR in his own right? What's his occupation? Your relatives would be able to provide the sponsorship, while he provides the skills.

If you have been cohabiting for at least 12 months, it makes little difference (except you have to evidence the cohabitation ... )

Unlikely. You can check the postcodes yourself:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...ated_areas.htm

This is going to make your study plans less feasible as it's likely you are going to have to study to degree level (unless you already have a degree) to get the necessary 50 points to have a good chance of skilled sponsored.

There's also a rule now that the Australian qualification must be 'relevant' to your nominated occupation - what this means is that some qualifications will be knocked back on this basis. You definitely need some professional advice, but the first port of call should be to look at your partner's CV and see if he can qualify for skilled sponsored on his own merits.

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy,

My partner has worked for the same compnay for 20 years, and has senior school and college qualifications for buisness studies, he does not have any 'higher level' qualifications however. He works for the police on their computer operations helpdesk, solving computer and systems problems, although he has plenty of experience there is nothing on paper to show his skills - if you know what i mean.

My family cant even sponser me so how would they be able to sponser him? This is SO confusing!

kells
Old Aug 8th 2004, 10:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Jeremy,

My partner has worked for the same compnay for 20 years, and has senior school and college qualifications for buisness studies, he does not have any 'higher level' qualifications however. He works for the police on their computer operations helpdesk, solving computer and systems problems, although he has plenty of experience there is nothing on paper to show his skills - if you know what i mean.

My family cant even sponser me so how would they be able to sponser him? This is SO confusing!

kells
Your family can't sponsor him, but if they sponsor you for skilled sponsored DIMIA will look at *his* qualifications as well. That's just the way things work.

It's not clear whether his qualifications are enough, but if he's an IT professional he might be able to get skill assessed by the ACS through the Recognised Prior Learning process, which is designed for IT professionals who are qualified by experience - http://www.acs.org.au

Your case is not simple. I'd advise you to contact an experienced migration agent. There is a limit to what you can achieve by asking questions on online forums.

Jeremy
Old Aug 8th 2004, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your family can't sponsor him, but if they sponsor you for skilled sponsored DIMIA will look at *his* qualifications as well. That's just the way things work.

It's not clear whether his qualifications are enough, but if he's an IT professional he might be able to get skill assessed by the ACS through the Recognised Prior Learning process, which is designed for IT professionals who are qualified by experience - http://www.acs.org.au

Your case is not simple. I'd advise you to contact an experienced migration agent. There is a limit to what you can achieve by asking questions on online forums.

Jeremy
thank you jeremy x