Electrician skills assessment

Old Jul 29th 2017, 11:51 am
Just Joined

coopssarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician skills assessment

Hi my husband (41yrs), was an electrician for 22 yrs but hasn't worked in this area for the past 3 yrs! Is he still eligible to apply for skilled visa? Seen some guidance suggesting he needs to have worked full time for 12 MTH's of past 3 yrs, I have also seen some saying he just needs 5 yrs post qualification experience? HELP!!!
We were previously granted PR in 2008 but didn't move to Oz due to personal circumstances, so visa and skills assessment have now expired! 😢 Whole systems seems to have changed this time around and I don't no where to start!! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks xx
Old Jul 29th 2017, 11:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician skills assessment

Originally Posted by coopssarah
Hi my husband (41yrs), was an electrician for 22 yrs but hasn't worked in this area for the past 3 yrs! Is he still eligible to apply for skilled visa? Seen some guidance suggesting he needs to have worked full time for 12 MTH's of past 3 yrs, I have also seen some saying he just needs 5 yrs post qualification experience? HELP!!!
We were previously granted PR in 2008 but didn't move to Oz due to personal circumstances, so visa and skills assessment have now expired! 😢 Whole systems seems to have changed this time around and I don't no where to start!! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks xx
The Vetassess guide (https://www.vetassess.com.au/Portals...%20General.pdf) asks for 5 years experience with some recent experience in the last 5 years. I can't find anywhere that it states how much recent experience he needs though. What is he currently doing? Is there any part of his current employment that might be relevant?
Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

We currently run our own deli, so completely unrelated! He was a self employed electrician 2000- April 2015, and prior to that employed as an electrician for 17 yrs. I can see on the initial migration points checker that different points are awarded for 6-8 yrs experience (within the last 10 yrs) or 8+ yrs experience (within the past 10 yrs). So does that mean he can only count the yrs he has worked as a sparky in the last 10 yrs (7yrs in his case) rather than his whole career? Also I have definitely seen something about full time employment for a min of 12 months within the last 3 yrs!! Awww a minefield!!!
Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:17 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

We currently run our own deli, so completely unrelated! He was a self employed electrician 2000- April 2015, and prior to that employed as an electrician for 17 yrs. I can see on the initial migration points checker that different points are awarded for 6-8 yrs experience (within the last 10 yrs) or 8+ yrs experience (within the past 10 yrs). So does that mean he can only count the yrs he has worked as a sparky in the last 10 yrs (7yrs in his case) rather than his whole career? Also I have definitely seen something about full time employment for a min of 12 months within the last 3 yrs!! Awww a minefield!!!
If he doesn't have the experience to get a skills assessment then the rest is pointless. You could try asking Vetassess for advice because as I read it, he just needs some experience in the last 3 years, but they are the experts. If he was working as an electrician until 2015, he would have some but it would need to be verifiable which can be hard when self employed (I haven't had a look at what evidence he would need to supply).

Additionally, given his age, even if he could now pass the assessment he will need maximum points from IELTS and state sponsorship to be able to get a visa.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advise.
He has over 22 yrs experience but not within the last 3 yrs, that's my query really, does anyone know if he needs to be working in that field now or can we use yrs previous to last 3 yrs as evidence? Or if he has no choice but to return to being an electrician will 12 months self employment evidence be sufficient? Thank you
Old Jul 31st 2017, 8:51 am

Thanks for your advise.
He has over 22 yrs experience but not within the last 3 yrs, that's my query really, does anyone know if he needs to be working in that field now or can we use yrs previous to last 3 yrs as evidence? Or if he has no choice but to return to being an electrician will 12 months self employment evidence be sufficient? Thank you
Did you read the information in the link provided? They are one of the RTO's that assess UK Electrician's. The others would be Future Skills and Victoria University. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to ask one of those agency's directly.