Electrical Goods In Australia

Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Electrical Goods In Australia

We are contemplating taking TV sets, DVD players an other electrical goods with us. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that they run off the same voltage etc. as us (240w) so is it as simple as changing plugs or other there other considerations I should be aware of ???

Unfortunately my skilled trade is not an electrician !!!!!

Many thanks

Chris
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:20 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Goods In Australia

Originally posted by eintracht
We are contemplating taking TV sets, DVD players an other electrical goods with us. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that they run off the same voltage etc. as us (240w) so is it as simple as changing plugs or other there other considerations I should be aware of ???

Many thanks

Chris
Hi.

I think this is the case BUT I have read that TV's in Oz run on a slightly adapted version of the PAL system that we use in the UK. The apparent solution is to run your video into your TV and use the video input to re-route the aerial signal to your TV.

Also, you would want to make sure that your DVD player is region-unlocked as you will more than likely want to watch Australian region DVDs?

For a definitive solution take a look at:

http://www.kropla.com/

Cheers.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 4:02 pm
PommieLeague

Many thanks

Chris
I bought a camcorder last year in Sydney, and the bloke even threw in a UK plug lead and its worked here fine, so yes the voltage is the same both ways, just change the plug!

I am lead to believe that ordinary computer monitors wont work in Aus, just flat screen types?

Old Jun 5th 2004, 4:04 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Lathlain
I bought a camcorder last year in Sydney, and the bloke even threw in a UK plug lead and its worked here fine, so yes the voltage is the same both ways, just change the plug!

I am lead to believe that ordinary computer monitors wont work in Aus, just flat screen types?

I have hair straighteners, camera battery charger and a mobile phone from OZ and I'm using/charging them all up just fine over here
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:04 am
Just Joined

waynejane is an unknown quantity at this point

what you will find is that all electrical items will function on the Oz voltage as they are on 230V and similar frequency to the UK. However, with TV signals, you will find that they are on a different bandwidth, and TV`s bought in OZ will have a different band range.
what this means is that, taking a UK TV will probably mean that you will be very lucky to pick up most of the OZ TV stations...if youre lucky, you may get 1 or 2.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

max kilby is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks

Chris
As with the other replies - your equipment will work here as the voltages are the same but Australia uses different carriers for picture and sound to the UK - also in some places VHF is used to broadcast signal rather than UHF as in England. We brought a portable TV with us from the UK and can't tune it in to anything here. I'm told that you can have TV's/videos converted fairly cheaply and easily though. Some of the newer TVs and videos will not need to be converted as they can pick up Oz signals. If in doubt ask your retailer or the manufacturer.

I agree with the last post (waynejane) and would further say that it's probably a good opportunity to get a new TV/Video etc.

All your old VHS tapes will play on any newly purchased equipment in Oz, and don't forget that any DVDs you bring will need to be played on a converted (de region'ed if that's actually a word) machine as Oz is in a different DVD region to the UK.

Clear as mud?

Such exciting times ahead!

Cheers,

MAX
Old Jun 6th 2004, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

so what about telephone cables???
not so bothered about the telephones, more concerned about the connection for the PC...any info?
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by waynejane
not so bothered about the telephones, more concerned about the connection for the PC...any info?
Yep

Brought a fax machine here to Oz from the UK which sends and recieves OK but doesn't actually 'pick up' a call which is pretty useless as it's an answerphone/fax so that's been disconnected and consigned to the loft.

Our computers connected to the Oz phone system no problem at all with the purchase of a 3 dollar phone adapter which converts the RJ11 (I think) to the Australian standard connector.

You shouldn't have any problems with PC/Modem.

Cheers,

MAX
Old Jun 7th 2004, 3:43 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

I think that connections between the telephone and the computer will be the same, but the connection from the telephone itself to the phone socket is different (at the wall end, not the telephone end). However, I imagine that you could either buy a new lead or (possibly) a converter to take your telephone lead into the Australian wall socket.

I can confirm what the others have said - VCRs and videos are no problem, DVD players are OK provided that they are not specifically for one region - assuming of course that you want to take your UK DVDs and also buy new DVDs in Australia. TVs are problematic and, to be honest, given the cost of sets these days it might be more sensible just to buy a new one when you get there.

Voltage is fine (220 vs 240, but that's no problem).
Old Jun 7th 2004, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Your TV will work fine as a monitor when patched through an Aussie VCR, tune in the VCR to the stations then tune in your TV to the VCR, change channel via the VCR not the TV.

Your UK VCR will be as useless as your TV. Phones will work but wont ring, so buy a cheap nasty Aussie phone to act as a ringer, then pick up your UK phone when you hear the phone ring !! Computers work fine as do modems, just need an adaptor to plug in the wall, then plug in your modem line.

DVD work fine as long as they are not regionalised, UK is not the same region as AUS.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

thanks, for that reply.....just to let you know what stage I am at...
application was lodged 12th April, (just in time before the new points scheme), but am still awaiting confirmation...can't wait for it all to happen, so am already making plans etc. so that the relocation can happen as soon as visa arrives.
maybe a bit hasty, but the agency I am using are estimating the granting (hopefully) to be at the end of the year.
hence, the research now!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

thanks, for that reply.....just to let you know what stage I am at...
application was lodged 12th April, (just in time before the new points scheme), but am still awaiting confirmation...can't wait for it all to happen, so am already making plans etc. so that the relocation can happen as soon as visa arrives.
maybe a bit hasty, but the agency I am using are estimating the granting (hopefully) to be at the end of the year.
hence, the research now!
It's never too soon to do your research.

When everything starts to happen you won't know where the time goes, and before you know it you'll be arriving in Aus :-)

The comments on the above post from the Druid sum up everything on this topic.

Good luck with your application.

Cheers,

MAX
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

loberttp is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks

Chris
UK TVs and video recorders (anything that receives or generates a TV signal) use a UHF system called PAL-I to receive (and transmit) signals. However, in Australia, they use UHF PAL-G. Although both countries use UHF PAL, the difference between the two systems is the frequency at which the sound is carried. This means that In Australia a UK TV will receive a picture okay, but no sound. Note that you can play pre-recorded video tapes without modification to your UK VCR through a UK TV, the problem is only when you want to record Australian transmissions.
So you could check the technical specification in the manuals that came with your appliances and see which which versions of PAL they support, as some do support multiple versions.
You can get your equipment modified in Australia for about $100 per item, which might be an option depending on how must your equipment is worth

Regards

Terry