Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Effect of ETA refusal on future residency application.

Effect of ETA refusal on future residency application.

Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

cadwell parker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Effect of ETA refusal on future residency application.

Hi everyone. I have found my way here while looking at the possibility of moving from England to Oz, this is my first post

I will no doubt have many questions arising as time goes on and am grateful at having found this site which looks like being a mine of good info.

I have become involved in a deep relationship on the internet with a wonderful Australian lady and we both want to meet with a view to taking things further, marriage has been mentioned :-) I'm looking into applying for an ETA to begin with but I'm concerned due to a previous criminal offence my application may be refused. There is the possibility of her coming over here but as I have less ties it makes more sense for me to travel to meet her. If a refusal would make things harder in the future this might put a different light on things.

Would having an ETA refused make it more problematic for me to obtain a prospective spouse visa in the future?

Looking forward to any advice anyone may be able to share.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Effect of ETA refusal on future residency application.

Originally Posted by cadwell parker
Hi everyone. I have found my way here while looking at the possibility of moving from England to Oz, this is my first post

I will no doubt have many questions arising as time goes on and am grateful at having found this site which looks like being a mine of good info.

I have become involved in a deep relationship on the internet with a wonderful Australian lady and we both want to meet with a view to taking things further, marriage has been mentioned :-) I'm looking into applying for an ETA to begin with but I'm concerned due to a previous criminal offence my application may be refused. There is the possibility of her coming over here but as I have less ties it makes more sense for me to travel to meet her. If a refusal would make things harder in the future this might put a different light on things.

Would having an ETA refused make it more problematic for me to obtain a prospective spouse visa in the future?

Looking forward to any advice anyone may be able to share.
If youn have a crimninal conviction you might be better looking at an actual tourist visa, rather than an ETA. Otherwise when you apply for the ETA your applicattion will be referred to DIAC as soon as you state you have a conviction.
Go for the tourist visa straight off, admitting the conviction, then you won't have any problems further down the line.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:15 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I second what Pollyana said - the info you need to apply for tourist visa (rather than an ETA) is http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/index.htm
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks tking and pollyana.

From looking at the list of conditions on the ETA application site it seems you're both right, a criminal record of any sort would rule me out from what I can gather reading this... http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAAus5En.html

So a tourist visa may well be the way to go but I wonder how this might affect things in the future. If this relationship continues as it has been going we will be looking at getting married and my concern is that if I apply for a tourist visa and it is refused it will harm my case when I apply for the spouse visa. In this context it seems it might be better for my lady to come and have a holiday in England and if we feel we fit together as well as we think we do I can then apply for a prospective spouse visa.

What do you think?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadwell parker
Thanks tking and pollyana.

From looking at the list of conditions on the ETA application site it seems you're both right, a criminal record of any sort would rule me out from what I can gather reading this... http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAAus5En.html

So a tourist visa may well be the way to go but I wonder how this might affect things in the future. If this relationship continues as it has been going we will be looking at getting married and my concern is that if I apply for a tourist visa and it is refused it will harm my case when I apply for the spouse visa. In this context it seems it might be better for my lady to come and have a holiday in England and if we feel we fit together as well as we think we do I can then apply for a prospective spouse visa.

What do you think?
Depends on what your criminal record is for really. If its minor, old, doesn't involve nasty offences, etc they are highly unlikely to refuse you a tourist visa. Even PR visas are often given to people with a criminal record. If you have offences involving serving a porison sentence, severe violence, drug supplying, sexual offences, that kind of thing, then you are on more shaky ground but even then DIAC can still grant the visa if you have enough character witnesses.

I would suggest ringing or emailing one of the agents that posts on here, be honest with them about what the record is for, and ask their opinion - they've seen it all before and are likely to know what response you'll get from DIAC.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks Pollyana, I'll see about tracking down a friendly agent