Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen - entering Aus on Uk passport?

Dual citizen - entering Aus on Uk passport?

Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:46 am
Just Joined

iNBETWEENER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizen - entering Aus on Uk passport?

Hi, I got my Australian citizenship a few years ago, and subsequently moved back to the UK. I am going back to Aus for the first time is a few weeks for a holiday. Do I need to get an Australian passport to get in the country, or will my UK passport and my citizenship certificate suffice? Obviously i know its best to have a passport, but I've left it really late, and its quite expensive, so thought I'd check other experience!

The embassy website (extract below) clearly shows a preference for Aus passports, but perhaps not conclusive.... I can surely prove i'm a citizen with my certificate?

Thanks!

Q9 - I have an Australian passport and a British passport; which passport do I use when entering Australia?
To avoid delays at airline check-in and again at the border entry point, Australian citizens who are dual nationals are required to depart and enter Australia on their Australian passport. An Australian citizen cannot be granted a visa for Australia in a foreign passport.
When entering Australia, all Australians, including those who hold dual nationality, must be able to prove that they are an Australian citizen. An Australian passport is conclusive evidence of a person's identity and citizenship, and provides the holder with unfettered right of entry to Australia.
International airlines have an obligation to ensure that they only carry appropriately documented passengers to Australia. In the absence of an Australian passport, airlines are unable to assess a person's claim to Australian citizenship at the time of check-in and may decline to carry the traveller.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen - entering Aus on Uk passport?

Originally Posted by iNBETWEENER
Hi, I got my Australian citizenship a few years ago, and subsequently moved back to the UK. I am going back to Aus for the first time is a few weeks for a holiday. Do I need to get an Australian passport to get in the country, or will my UK passport and my citizenship certificate suffice? Obviously i know its best to have a passport, but I've left it really late, and its quite expensive, so thought I'd check other experience!

The embassy website (extract below) clearly shows a preference for Aus passports, but perhaps not conclusive.... I can surely prove i'm a citizen with my certificate?

Thanks!

Q9 - I have an Australian passport and a British passport; which passport do I use when entering Australia?
To avoid delays at airline check-in and again at the border entry point, Australian citizens who are dual nationals are required to depart and enter Australia on their Australian passport. An Australian citizen cannot be granted a visa for Australia in a foreign passport.
When entering Australia, all Australians, including those who hold dual nationality, must be able to prove that they are an Australian citizen. An Australian passport is conclusive evidence of a person's identity and citizenship, and provides the holder with unfettered right of entry to Australia.
International airlines have an obligation to ensure that they only carry appropriately documented passengers to Australia. In the absence of an Australian passport, airlines are unable to assess a person's claim to Australian citizenship at the time of check-in and may decline to carry the traveller.
Is there a reason why you can't get an Australian Passport? I'm not sure that a UK passport and citizenship cert will be enough to get you on a flight.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:07 am
Just Joined

The only reason being money, and now time - i just called australia house and (unsurprisingly) they only have an appt just before i leave, will be cutting it VERY fine!

It just didn't cross my mind that I would need one, but technically, I have no documentation to travel into australia, as I only have a UK passport with no visa on it... I suppose technically its like being an australia citizen with no passport who has somehow managed to get out of the country and wants to get back in.

It would be good to know if anyone else has tried (successfully or otherwise) to go through without an Aus passport?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason being money, and now time - i just called australia house and (unsurprisingly) they only have an appt just before i leave, will be cutting it VERY fine!

It just didn't cross my mind that I would need one, but technically, I have no documentation to travel into australia, as I only have a UK passport with no visa on it... I suppose technically its like being an australia citizen with no passport who has somehow managed to get out of the country and wants to get back in.

It would be good to know if anyone else has tried (successfully or otherwise) to go through without an Aus passport?
Hopefully someone else will know - is it possible to re-arrange your holiday if needed?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

No Christmas and a wedding. Thanks! So annoyed with myself...
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:18 am

No Christmas and a wedding. Thanks! So annoyed with myself...
Have you seen this - https://www.passports.gov.au/web/timerequired.aspx

Hopefully you can get the emegency passport
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Yeh i just called them back, their should be time... £60 extra (sigh, my own fault). The guy there reckons that Australia will let you in, but the airline here shouldn't let you on if you don't have a visa in your passport to travel to that country... The thing is, i know people who have done it. Maybe I'm just overthinking it...
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Australia MIGHT allow you in, and the airline MIGHT allow you to board.

At the very least you will have a hold-up at check in while they verify with DIBP that you actually are a citizen, and then you may be asked to explain why you don't have an Aussie passport.
Australia is one of the countries that requires its citizens to enter and leave on their Aussie passports. If you want an easy life, get the passport. Otherwise arrive early for check in and hope for the best.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you... yeh i managed to get an appt a few days before i go, guess I should just go for it and get on for peace of mind....
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Any person wishing to travel to Australia who is not a Australian/New Zealand citizen must have a valid visa. The airlines have been instructed not to allow anyone without a AUS/NZ passport or a valid visa to board a flight to Australia.

As an Australian citizen you can't be granted a visa for your British passport and without a visa you can't travel on your British passport. Catch .22. You may be able to board a flight without an Australian passport but it would involve the airline being willing to contact DIBP on your behalf and confirming your status as an Australian citizen which would be a crap shoot depending which particular check-in agent you get. You would also get a dressing down from DIBP when you arrive at the border.

It may be expensive getting an Emergency Passport but it's still a lot better than risking not being able to board your flight to Oz.