Don't want to aproach dodgey ex-employer?

Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice
Default Don't want to aproach dodgey ex-employer?

I left my very first job (1yr) on bad terms after I got chemical
poisoning and reported my employers for health and safety.
Thing is I REALLY don't want go back to them for a ref as I still
fear repocusions.
This guy sacked his own nephew for not wanting to work with
chemicals that had been banned
I have no proof of myself woking there and was thinking of
writing a stat dec.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation where you can't/won't
aproach an ex-employer for a ref?
If so what did you do?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Don't want to aproach dodgey ex-employer?

Originally Posted by scottyboy
fear repocusions.
writing a stat dec.
If so what did you do?
We had this as ref supplied was hopeless (hubby tried to sue them). We did have payslips and contract of employment. We wrote a stat dec and was accepted by ACS for skills assessment.

Is there anyone else at the company (not Mr Nasty!) that might do another stat dec to confirm you worked there, or even a brief "Scottyboy worked for C**pCo from date to date as jobtitle" on headed paper?

And do you actually need a ref from them? How far back into your working history are you going?

Last edited by Iwannabethere; Feb 28th 2007 at 12:27 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

fear repocusions.
writing a stat dec.
If so what did you do?
do you really need that year to be included in your relevant work experience? if so, i'd say a stat dec is your best bet. Or alternatively you could try and get bank statements (if you were paid into your account) that would show your employers name to prove you were in paid employment. Some banks will (for a fee and depending on how long ago it is) access their archives for you. We used a copy of a payroll relating to a company that had been taken over to prove employment dates and that was accepted by the TRA - although we did have numerous other references too.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

hottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nice

I left my very first job (1yr) on bad terms ...
I am dreading having to approach any of my ex-employers.

Let's face it in general they are EX employers either because they hated you, you hated them or because you had a better offer (in which case you were disloyal). Unless you were made redundant, in which case they obviously thought you werent important.

I nearly took one of my employers to court for cutting my wages and changing my conditions, but got another job instead. One redundancy due to a company merger, and the boss disliked me anyway. Several companies I was happy to leave and would have preferred not to have to sweet-talk to.

The Oz government really expects a lot in return for giving a sticker in your passport
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hottroc
I am dreading having to approach any of my ex-employers.

Let's face it in general they are EX employers either because they hated you, you hated them or because you had a better offer (in which case you were disloyal). Unless you were made redundant, in which case they obviously thought you werent important.

I nearly took one of my employers to court for cutting my wages and changing my conditions, but got another job instead. One redundancy due to a company merger, and the boss disliked me anyway. Several companies I was happy to leave and would have preferred not to have to sweet-talk to.

The Oz government really expects a lot in return for giving a sticker in your passport
Quote - Let's face it in general they are EX employers either because they hated you, you hated them or because you had a better offer (in which case you were disloyal). Unless you were made redundant, in which case they obviously thought you werent important.

I dont know - i dont think that applies to all people's trades.....where my OH is concerned because he's sub-contracted to various people it just means that contracts dont last long so there's always going to be a long list of ex employees...
he's always worked using the motto of not burning any bridges or leaving on bad terms. (i know that isnt always possible for everyone)...

and as for OZ expecting a lot - arent we expecting the country to provide what we're lacking here in the UK (whatever each of ours ambitions are?).
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by travelbug
Quote - Let's face it in general they are EX employers either because they hated you, you hated them or because you had a better offer (in which case you were disloyal). Unless you were made redundant, in which case they obviously thought you werent important.

I dont know - i dont think that applies to all people's trades.....where my OH is concerned because he's sub-contracted to various people it just means that contracts dont last long so there's always going to be a long list of ex employees...
he's always worked using the motto of not burning any bridges or leaving on bad terms. (i know that isnt always possible for everyone)...

and as for OZ expecting a lot - arent we expecting the country to provide what we're lacking here in the UK (whatever each of ours ambitions are?).
didnt mean for that last comment to be taken the wrong way? not sure it came out as i meant it!!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

dwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the rough

fear repocusions.
writing a stat dec.
If so what did you do?
I had a similar situation with one of mine, the benefit i had was that i still had letters from them regarding my dismissal and my pay slips. I completed a stat dec detailing my employment time, wages and duties this was fine for the ACS with all the rest of the references, i even did one of my project reports on a project i had done at the company.

Hope you can work around this but the stat dec option is there for just this reason.

good luck

Rob
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:46 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you use the Stat Dec as a way round the present employer having to give a reference? Got bank slips, contract of employment, annual bonus letters etc.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:13 am
been here b4

hcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nerine
Can you use the Stat Dec as a way round the present employer having to give a reference? Got bank slips, contract of employment, annual bonus letters etc.
do the DIMA realy contact every ones past employer??????
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcmcman
do the DIMA realy contact every ones past employer??????
They don't necessarily contact everyone's past employer, but if there is any question about your employment history then they will check.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

hottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nice

Originally Posted by travelbug
i dont think that applies to all people's trades.....where my OH is concerned because he's sub-contracted to various people it just means that contracts dont last long so there's always going to be a long list of ex employees...
Yes I agree for some trades though technically if he's a subcontractor like that then the people concerned are customers rather than employers

Yes me too, though not always possible. A few times I have refrained from telling the boss where to stick it, however I think my displeasure has been apparent.

and as for OZ expecting a lot - arent we expecting the country to provide what we're lacking here in the UK (whatever each of ours ambitions are?)
Yes agreed, though I also believe we could be providing benefit to Australia.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

It's kind of reassuring to know I'm not the only one to miss out on the
Employee of the Year award.
I think past and present employers have always regarded me as a
necessary evil.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha, you sound like me. I was in one job for a further 12 months after the initial vibes that the boss wanted to get rid of me, while they tried desperately to figure out how they could manage without me. Damn, I sound real big-headed and arrogant saying that. It was a small company and I had a lot of responsibility, a fact the boss realised but didn't appreciate if you know what I mean.