Dont think I have enough points!

Old May 7th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dont think I have enough points!

Hi

I was told by two agents I had enough points for a 176. However, with the new skill select system I have looked on the points system and I think they have miscalculated.

I am 33, Registered Nurse, 1 years experience, higher diploma and would like state sponsorship. I am currently trying to get 8.0 on ielts to claim 20 points, but I still do not see how I score 65 points.

I am also thinking about the occupation ceiling with my low score and how this would affect me. I am considering the 457 if I can get an employer to sponsor me and in 2 years try again. I am so worried about losing my job and the 28 day rule that I will have to leave. I will be taking 3 children and I do not want to risk anything.

I am so confused and not sure what to do. Any advice would be fantastic
Old May 7th 2012, 10:56 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dont think I have enough points!

Originally Posted by angel659
Hi

I was told by two agents I had enough points for a 176. However, with the new skill select system I have looked on the points system and I think they have miscalculated.

I am 33, Registered Nurse, 1 years experience, higher diploma and would like state sponsorship. I am currently trying to get 8.0 on ielts to claim 20 points, but I still do not see how I score 65 points.

I am also thinking about the occupation ceiling with my low score and how this would affect me. I am considering the 457 if I can get an employer to sponsor me and in 2 years try again. I am so worried about losing my job and the 28 day rule that I will have to leave. I will be taking 3 children and I do not want to risk anything.

I am so confused and not sure what to do. Any advice would be fantastic
Assuming you get twenty points on your IELTS & ten for your qualification (being a diploma, not a degree), I think you're five points short (I could be wrong). It might be worth checking with your agent to see how he's calculated it. If it turns out you are, then you could go for a temporary visa, such as the 475 (it's a three year visa). You get ten points for sponsorship on the 475. After the requisite length of time in a regional area (two years living & one year working), then you could apply for the 887 PR visa.

SkillSelect will be in effect from the 1st July, so the 176 & 475 will cease to exist then. If you're applying after July, I can link you the new visa types if you need them.

Last edited by mrsgreenstar76; May 7th 2012 at 10:59 am.
Old May 7th 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Assuming you get twenty points on your IELTS & ten for your qualification (being a diploma, not a degree), I think you're five points short (I could be wrong). It might be worth checking with your agent to see how he's calculated it. If it turns out you are, then you could go for a temporary visa, such as the 475 (it's a three year visa). You get ten points for sponsorship on the 475. After the requisite length of time in a regional area (two years living & one year working), then you could apply for the 887 PR visa.

SkillSelect will be in effect from the 1st July, so the 176 & 475 will cease to exist then. If you're applying after July, I can link you the new visa types if you need them.
Hi

Your right, I have had a look and I am 5 points short. If I look on the 489 I will have enough points. Does the 489 have the same 28 day rule?

Many thanks for your help.
Old May 7th 2012, 12:07 pm

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Your right, I have had a look and I am 5 points short. If I look on the 489 I will have enough points. Does the 489 have the same 28 day rule?

Many thanks for your help.
No problem.

No it doesn't. It's a temporary visa (valid for up to four years) - it's the replacement for the 475. You don't have to worry about the 28 day rule though - it's not applicable to that visa.
Old May 8th 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
No problem.

No it doesn't. It's a temporary visa (valid for up to four years) - it's the replacement for the 475. You don't have to worry about the 28 day rule though - it's not applicable to that visa.
Thank you, this will be my option and fingers x I will be able to get pr later on. Thanks for your help.
Old May 8th 2012, 10:07 am

Thank you, this will be my option and fingers x I will be able to get pr later on. Thanks for your help.
No problem. Good luck with your application!