Does this mean we have been accepted??

Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:35 pm
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Does this mean we have been accepted??

Originally Posted by Wozza
Given that rates are a much of a muchness and my other half works in a bank, would it not be worth considering exchanging through the bank where she would not be charged any commission?
Woz, that's got to be your call, but for me, every single point on the exchange rate will count when I change my life savings. I'd hate to think of losing any cash that I don't have to. It's all down to the rate for me.

Make sure that she gets someone in the foreign department to phone for a spot rate rather than using the in branch rate.

Maybe someone in the foreign team can tell you how many points they add onto the interbank rate. It would be interesting to know. One of the dealing houses offered me 15, which means that if the interbank rate was 2.400, I would get 2.385

All a bit of a pain really isn't it, but depending on how much you are going to change, that could be many hundreds of pounds. Worth a ponder in my view, but each to their own.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Wozza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Woz, that's got to be your call, but for me, every single point on the exchange rate will count when I change my life savings. I'd hate to think of losing any cash that I don't have to. It's all down to the rate for me.

Make sure that she gets someone in the foreign department to phone for a spot rate rather than using the in branch rate.

Maybe someone in the foreign team can tell you how many points they add onto the interbank rate. It would be interesting to know. One of the dealing houses offered me 15, which means that if the interbank rate was 2.400, I would get 2.385

All a bit of a pain really isn't it, but depending on how much you are going to change, that could be many hundreds of pounds. Worth a ponder in my view, but each to their own.
Fully understand what you're saying and every penny does count over tens of thousands of pounds. I think it will be a case of just taking what we can cope with to start and leave the rest behind waiting for the rate to get better. Could do with it getting up near the $3 - £1 though!!!
Will keep you posted about the other half being able to get it exchanged commission free.

Woz.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:22 am

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

Fully understand what you're saying and every penny does count over tens of thousands of pounds. I think it will be a case of just taking what we can cope with to start and leave the rest behind waiting for the rate to get better. Could do with it getting up near the $3 - £1 though!!!
Will keep you posted about the other half being able to get it exchanged commission free.
$3-1 would be nice wouldn't it. I'd be quite happy with 2.65 to be quite honest. Like you, I intend to leave most as GBP and wait for the rate to move in our favour (which I'm hoping it will, but obviously it's not guaranteed). It oculd almost be worth taking a gamble and moving some into USD and waiting for that to go back up.

I intend to look for a bank in Oz that offers GBP accounts, so I can still move it over, but not worry about changing it.

Do let me know what you decide. I'd be curious to see what the bank offers your good lady.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

$3-1 would be nice wouldn't it. I'd be quite happy with 2.65 to be quite honest. Like you, I intend to leave most as GBP and wait for the rate to move in our favour (which I'm hoping it will, but obviously it's not guaranteed). It oculd almost be worth taking a gamble and moving some into USD and waiting for that to go back up.

I intend to look for a bank in Oz that offers GBP accounts, so I can still move it over, but not worry about changing it.

Do let me know what you decide. I'd be curious to see what the bank offers your good lady.

Will let you know and we have to move quick. I was under te impresson that we had a year to make entry from the date of issue of the visa. Apparently that is not the case and it is a year from when your medicals or police checks were issued, whichever came first. Thrown a spanner in our works as we had intended leaving in late November and now we have to go in September!!

Woz.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:41 am

Will let you know and we have to move quick. I was under te impresson that we had a year to make entry from the date of issue of the visa. Apparently that is not the case and it is a year from when your medicals or police checks were issued, whichever came first. Thrown a spanner in our works as we had intended leaving in late November and now we have to go in September!!

Woz.
ah. I guess that could come as a suprise. Still, better to get this sort of thing over and done with.

It's 1 year today that they received my application, and still no visa, and not even a 1 year anniversary card from them!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

ah. I guess that could come as a suprise. Still, better to get this sort of thing over and done with.

It's 1 year today that they received my application, and still no visa, and not even a 1 year anniversary card from them!
Just let it run it's course - all good things come to those who wait...!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:33 am

Just let it run it's course - all good things come to those who wait...!
Good words oh wise one

It's a very up and down kind of ride. Luckily I am on an 'up' at the moment, so the waiting isn't bothering me. A couple of weeks back it was driving me nuts (not literaly o) ).
Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Did a test with Barclays and HIFX yesterday. Got a spot rate from both of them at the same time and working out HIFX's commission and the fact that Barclays tok no commission, on £150,000 the rate was better using HIFX albeit only by $480. Will do another test soon and let you know again if you want.

Woz.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:22 am

Did a test with Barclays and HIFX yesterday. Got a spot rate from both of them at the same time and working out HIFX's commission and the fact that Barclays tok no commission, on £150,000 the rate was better using HIFX albeit only by $480. Will do another test soon and let you know again if you want.
That's great. Thanks for that info. Very interesting. Was the Barclays rate the standard rate, or do you think they made allowances for your wife being an employee (knowing Barclays - No)

when it comes down to just 480AUD, you have to start taking into account transfer fees (transfering the funds to the dealer and then over to Oz)

Rate almost reach 2.45 today. It's slowly on its way up.