Does this fulfil the 2 year study rule?

Old Aug 14th 2004, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

attaccante is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does this fulfil the 2 year study rule?

pfff, I'm in doubts again if this will fulfil the 2 years study rule.

I'm going for a vocational education at TAFE, but that course only takes 1 year full time study. No problem I thought, so for the second year I'm going for a course (in a whole other area) that also takes 1 year full time study but has nothing to do witm my nominated occupation

But now I'm in doubts if the 2 years mean that the certificate, degree or diploma you go for must take those whole two years? or at least if you take 2 separated courses they both have to be useful in your future occupation?

I really hope it is good enough because the 'skilled-independent overseas student' way is my only chance to get a permanent visa.

Hopefully some one can clear this up, cause lawyer talk is hard to understand especially when Engish is not your first language
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:19 am

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does this fulfil the 2 year study rule?

Hi:

I'm going down the study route myself.

If you do two courses of study in Australia they must be 'relevant' to your nominated occupation.

The DIMIA examples are that two, 1 year back to back courses as a baker and then a mechanic would not be relevant, but a 1 year course in hairdressing followed by a 1 year IT course of some sort could be if for example you were going to use computers within the salon for record keeping etc.

Bear in mind that you still will need to pass an assessment of your qualification prior to applying for migration, and this may or may not require some level of work experience (depending on who the assessing body are) just to get a satisfactory assessment.

What courses are you planning?

If you PM me your email address, I can send you the DIMIA info on 'relevancy of courses'

Regards

Steve
Originally Posted by attaccante
pfff, I'm in doubts again if this will fulfil the 2 years study rule.

I'm going for a vocational education at TAFE, but that course only takes 1 year full time study. No problem I thought, so for the second year I'm going for a course (in a whole other area) that also takes 1 year full time study but has nothing to do witm my nominated occupation

But now I'm in doubts if the 2 years mean that the certificate, degree or diploma you go for must take those whole two years? or at least if you take 2 separated courses they both have to be useful in your future occupation?

I really hope it is good enough because the 'skilled-independent overseas student' way is my only chance to get a permanent visa.

Hopefully some one can clear this up, cause lawyer talk is hard to understand especially when Engish is not your first language
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevereed
Hi:

I'm going down the study route myself.

If you do two courses of study in Australia they must be 'relevant' to your nominated occupation.

The DIMIA examples are that two, 1 year back to back courses as a baker and then a mechanic would not be relevant, but a 1 year course in hairdressing followed by a 1 year IT course of some sort could be if for example you were going to use computers within the salon for record keeping etc.

Bear in mind that you still will need to pass an assessment of your qualification prior to applying for migration, and this may or may not require some level of work experience (depending on who the assessing body are) just to get a satisfactory assessment.

What courses are you planning?

If you PM me your email address, I can send you the DIMIA info on 'relevancy of courses'

Regards

Steve
Thanks

Is there a list of the occupations that requires work experience? I thought that was the whole point of studying in Australia, so that you don't need those years of experience?

I'm planning to take the commercial cookery course (60pt)
in the one institute it takes 2 years and in the other 1 year for exactly the same Certificate III, so I would think it's stupid to go for the two years.
Besides it would give me the opportunitie to educate myself in an area I was always interested in: film production (but no pts on the Skilled occupations list)

so not relevant at all!

an other question:
If you get your PR by the skilled migration way, can they take it back if (lets say after 2 years) you're changing jobs. and work in an area that doesn't rated the points you needed to get the PR.
So do the check if you still work in your nominated occupation?

Cause I know I like cooking, but I also know it's my dream to end up in the film industry ...
Old Aug 15th 2004, 12:36 pm

I would go to the DIMIA website and contact someone for professional advice.

The 2 year study in Australia currently waives the requirement for 'recent experience' as per the basic requirements to apply for migration. but if you look at the detail it says that this does not remove the possible need by the assessing authority (TRA I think for cookery) for work experience to get a positive assessment.

Booklet 6 from DIMIA says this on Page 6

http://dima.cardgate.net/General_Ski...ation/1119.pdf

See section on 'Recent Work Experience Exemption'

I was considering a Horticulture course (Cert3 & Cert 4) Having spoken to the TRA they said that they considered it unlikely that I would get a positive assessment with certificates alone and NO work experience. Ifelt myself that with the vigours of a course of study I didn't want to be dependent on getting part time work as well.

I decided on a Bachelor of Commerce degree, majoring in accounting to get 60 point occupation. The CPA who will assess it only look at the units on has done for my degree, and there is a selective course of study which meets CPA requirements.

I don't know your circumstances, I'm just someone who has recently considered all options. However, from what I have learned, I reckon that the two diverse courses you mention may cause you problems when it comes to your migration application.

I have had fantastic assistance from George Lombard on these issues, so he may be worth contacting. It'd be a nightmare to get two years down the road and find out that there was a flaw in your plan.

Again, PM me your email and I'll send you the 'relevant to nominated occupation info' from Dimia

Steve

Originally Posted by attaccante
Thanks

Is there a list of the occupations that requires work experience? I thought that was the whole point of studying in Australia, so that you don't need those years of experience?

I'm planning to take the commercial cookery course (60pt)
in the one institute it takes 2 years and in the other 1 year for exactly the same Certificate III, so I would think it's stupid to go for the two years.
Besides it would give me the opportunitie to educate myself in an area I was always interested in: film production (but no pts on the Skilled occupations list)

so not relevant at all!

an other question:
If you get your PR by the skilled migration way, can they take it back if (lets say after 2 years) you're changing jobs. and work in an area that doesn't rated the points you needed to get the PR.
So do the check if you still work in your nominated occupation?

Cause I know I like cooking, but I also know it's my dream to end up in the film industry ...
Old Aug 16th 2004, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevereed
I would go to the DIMIA website and contact someone for professional advice.

The 2 year study in Australia currently waives the requirement for 'recent experience' as per the basic requirements to apply for migration. but if you look at the detail it says that this does not remove the possible need by the assessing authority (TRA I think for cookery) for work experience to get a positive assessment.

Booklet 6 from DIMIA says this on Page 6

http://dima.cardgate.net/General_Ski...ation/1119.pdf

See section on 'Recent Work Experience Exemption'

I was considering a Horticulture course (Cert3 & Cert 4) Having spoken to the TRA they said that they considered it unlikely that I would get a positive assessment with certificates alone and NO work experience. Ifelt myself that with the vigours of a course of study I didn't want to be dependent on getting part time work as well.

I decided on a Bachelor of Commerce degree, majoring in accounting to get 60 point occupation. The CPA who will assess it only look at the units on has done for my degree, and there is a selective course of study which meets CPA requirements.

I don't know your circumstances, I'm just someone who has recently considered all options. However, from what I have learned, I reckon that the two diverse courses you mention may cause you problems when it comes to your migration application.

I have had fantastic assistance from George Lombard on these issues, so he may be worth contacting. It'd be a nightmare to get two years down the road and find out that there was a flaw in your plan.

Again, PM me your email and I'll send you the 'relevant to nominated occupation info' from Dimia

Steve
You talked to the TRA?
How can I send them an e-mail?

But what a stupid rule! You would thing the more skillls in different area the more chance to find a job ...

Horticulture? interesting! and in a way relevant to cooking
When do you start with your commerce degree?

Sorry, forgot to PM you
Old Aug 16th 2004, 3:15 am

You can email the TRA at

[email protected] or visit their website at

www.workplace.gov.au/

but I only ever got fairly non commital answers from them. I havephoned them as well, but they obviously couldn't offer specific advice until one puts in an application.

I would be wary of guessing on the relevance of courses to the occupation you wish to nominate. A Certificate 3 is the standard level for tradespersons in Australia (or so TRA told me) I'd make sure 100% that your course combimation will be acceptable at the end of your studies.

I believe one of the TAFE's (Sydney area I think) did a Diploma in Hospitality which was 2 years and incorporated the Cert 3 in Commercial Cookery. May be useful.

I'm doing my Bachelor of Commerce at the University of New England in Armidale. My father lives near there so the plan is to be designated area sponsored, thus avoiding the points test.

However, if I need the points for some reason, I could gain an extra 5 for studying and living in a regional area for the period of my study.

If it was me, I'd choose a safe study option, as risk free as possible, and gain my residency. Then enrol on some courses you fancy, but not at the international student fee rate.

Steve

UOTE=attaccante]You talked to the TRA?
How can I send them an e-mail?

But what a stupid rule! You would thing the more skillls in different area the more chance to find a job ...

Horticulture? interesting! and in a way relevant to cooking
When do you start with your commerce degree?

Sorry, forgot to PM you[/QUOTE]