does this affect my chances???

Old Apr 28th 2004, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

dreamers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default does this affect my chances???

Hi all,

I am worried that my post-natal depression/full blown depression will affect my chances of getting past the medical - does anyone out there know wether it will affect it or not? I have a three year old son but have had depression on and off since he was born. It is fully controlled with an anti-depressant and I am fine, but am worried that I may need to come off them to pass - and how long would I need off them before I counted as 'normal'? Thanks for any advice!!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:00 am
docpkgj

docpkgj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: does this affect my chances???

Postnatal deression is very common experienced by 1 in 10 women and gradually you recover to normality with treatment.No need to worry................
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:18 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dreamers
Hi all,

I am worried that my post-natal depression/full blown depression will affect my chances of getting past the medical - does anyone out there know wether it will affect it or not? I have a three year old son but have had depression on and off since he was born. It is fully controlled with an anti-depressant and I am fine, but am worried that I may need to come off them to pass - and how long would I need off them before I counted as 'normal'? Thanks for any advice!!
Hi Dreamers,

No need to panic. When you go for your medical you'll need to declare it on the form 26 and then it's up to the doctor to require a further test or declare you fit. Never heard of anyone being refused for this condition, but it's easy enough to check on the MRT database - see www.mrt.gov.au and search on the decisions tab. Given how common the condition is you would expect to see something there if this was a reason to refuse.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:07 pm
docpkgj

Thanks George for pointing to an informative database.I frequently see cases of Postnatal Depression in UK general practice and that was why I wrote...need not worry....but I found a lot of stuff in MRT database.
To me Active Tubeculosis could be one of the most common reasons for refusal.
What about Inactive or Old TB? Form 1071i says if MOC writes that the individual meets minimum requirements for health requirements for perm visa,this does not adversly affect the decision by the Case/Visa Officer.
But in MRT database there are many instances..... Might be the ones who had mild exposure are fine contrary to those who have evidence of active disease in the past.
My experince says that medical/health professionals have likelihood of exposure if they have worked in Microbiology Laboratories or Infectious Diseases Units,without even knowing that they have had exposure.
Having said that,does previous exposure to TB disqualifies you at all or outcomes varies from case to case?
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:13 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by docpkgj
Thanks George for pointing to an informative database.I frequently see cases of Postnatal Depression in UK general practice and that was why I wrote...need not worry....but I found a lot of stuff in MRT database.
To me Active Tubeculosis could be one of the most common reasons for refusal.
What about Inactive or Old TB? Form 1071i says if MOC writes that the individual meets minimum requirements for health requirements for perm visa,this does not adversly affect the decision by the Case/Visa Officer.
But in MRT database there are many instances..... Might be the ones who had mild exposure are fine contrary to those who have evidence of active disease in the past.
My experince says that medical/health professionals have likelihood of exposure if they have worked in Microbiology Laboratories or Infectious Diseases Units,without even knowing that they have had exposure.
Having said that,does previous exposure to TB disqualifies you at all or outcomes varies from case to case?
Hi Doc,

Old TB. First, they send you for sputum tests etc and then after three months or however long it takes they give you a health undertaking and your first entry date is six months, not 12 months, from the date of final medical clearance.

I wasn't aware that there were many cases in the MRT where old TB was grounds for refusal. Email me some of the URLs if you could...

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

sylviacrt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I read this post and realized that I didn´t worry about a little detail.

My husband has a cornea transplant, this was done 5 years ago, and has no problem with it. It actually is not noticeable, if you are not told about it.
Of course an oftalmologist would know...

How strict is the eyes test?? Does he have to declare this in his Meds? Can this make any problem ??

I could not find an answer ih that MRT page.

Does somebody know cases like this??
Thanks!!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:26 pm
docpkgj

As long as he can read with glasses,nothing to worry about.Declaring this to doctor......ethically speaking....yes....beacuse medical examiner is usually a physician and not opthalmologist.....however if he is in doubt after your declaration,he will refer you to an ophthalmolohist on their panel and will give decision in the light of his report.

Important thing is eye sight.That should be acceptable with glasses.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:27 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sylviacrt
Hello

I read this post and realized that I didn´t worry about a little detail.

My husband has a cornea transplant, this was done 5 years ago, and has no problem with it. It actually is not noticeable, if you are not told about it.
Of course an oftalmologist would know...

How strict is the eyes test?? Does he have to declare this in his Meds? Can this make any problem ??

I could not find an answer ih that MRT page.

Does somebody know cases like this??
Thanks!!
ALways best to declare absolutely everything, because you risk being chucked out of Oz if they find out later on that you didn't declare something at your meds. It's unlikely to affect his chance of a visa, but I would definitely declare it