Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do you renew British Passports once you get citizenship

Do you renew British Passports once you get citizenship

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Do you renew British Passports once you get citizenship

Hi all,

Finances are a bit tight at the moment with another bambino on the way etc, hubby needing dental work and me stopping work for a bit. I've had a bit of a moan about how much I've spent on passports in the past 5 years but I won't go there on that one again.

The question is. What are the advantages of Hubby, me and the 2 British born kids keeping our British passports up to date / renewed once we get our Australian ones.

I've just worked out it is going to cost over $800 to get our Australian ones. This is after paying about £75 for penal clearance and $500 for Citizenship Application. My daughters UK passport expires soon (unfortunately she doesn't have 6 months left on it and we might need to travel very soon so I might not be able to avoid renewing hers).

Just wondered what everyone else did and thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you renew British Passports once you get citizenship

You dont actually need your UK ones but many of us continue to have them. I have one friend who didnt renew hers until just recently - her last one expired about 20 years ago and she always just travelled on her Australian one.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to, but the advantages of doing so include the following:

1. It will always be simpler to renew in future if you have an existing current passport, as opposed to making a new "first time" passport application later on.

2. Some countries, such as Brazil, may let you in without a visa on a British passport but would require one in an Australian passport.

3. If you do need to get a visa for somewhere, such as India or mainland China, you can send off British passport while keeping Australian passport for travel elsewhere.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

We traveled to the UK, France and HK a couple of years ago on Aus passports. We did not need the British Passports and didn't need to get any visas in advance.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:46 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You don't have to, but the advantages of doing so include the following:

1. It will always be simpler to renew in future if you have an existing current passport, as opposed to making a new "first time" passport application later on.

2. Some countries, such as Brazil, may let you in without a visa on a British passport but would require one in an Australian passport.

3. If you do need to get a visa for somewhere, such as India or mainland China, you can send off British passport while keeping Australian passport for travel elsewhere.
4. Some countries don't like visas stamps from other countries in your passport (most of the middle east and Israel, US and Cuba) so it may reduce hassle to have an Israeli stamp in one passport and enter Saudi on the other for example