Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do you need your visa evidenced in your passport? Answer: Yes

Do you need your visa evidenced in your passport? Answer: Yes

Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road
Default Do you need your visa evidenced in your passport? Answer: Yes

We've just passed our second week in Australia and I thought I'd pass on one aspect of our experience so far to ease other people along.

When we got our visa, we read the advice that said we did not need to have our visa evidenced in our passports in order to travel to Australia. This was indeed true. The electronic visa part works just fine though we were disappointed to get a rather small stamp in our passport to say we'd arrived.

However, it didn't take long before the first person asked to see our visa in our passport. In fact, Medicare refused to deal with us because there was no visa in our passport when we went to the office.

In the end, we had to give in and popped to the local immigration office who took just 10 minutes (it was quiet in the office) to stick our labels in and since then, everything's been fine.

The immigration office told us about a new online visa checking service that can be accessed by agencies but I guess it'll take a while until big agencies like Medicare get into the habit of checking visas this way. Here's the link anyway http://www.immi.gov.au/managing-aust...s/evo-orgs.htm.

Anyway, in short, if you have time to send your passports away for a visa label, do it. If not, don't worry but have it done when you arrive. It'll certainly grease the wheels a little.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you need your visa evidenced in your passport? Answer: Yes

Thanks we have just received our visas so will send them off to get sorted. I notice you are a teacher where are you living and have you managed to secure a job. Im a secondary teacher and thinking of finishing this school year and heading out July 2010 Gold Coast area I think. How is work prospects currently? thanks Nicky
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you need your visa evidenced in your passport? Answer: Yes

Hi Nicky

I'm primary and I think Victoria is a bit more enlightened about their job adverts in that they are all listed on a Education website and you can apply online. I don't remember QLD being so straightforward when we were originally looking to go there.

We've arrived at just the wrong moment. Jobs for next term (5 Oct) have already been advertised and have all gone, though there are a few jobs for January coming up. I guess next term is really the time to look for work in January. In the meanwhile, I've got 4 days supply at my boys' school just after the holidays to get me into the swing. Then I supposed it'll be the agencies next. Thank heavens I can send my wife out to work.......(just don't tell her I said so).

Good luck as you begin your own adventure! Despite things being tough financially for us as we didn't bring much money, we're loving being here.