Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do you need x amount in bank for student visa?

Do you need x amount in bank for student visa?

Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice
Default Do you need x amount in bank for student visa?

Hi,

Do i need a certain amount of money to get a student visa? I have enough for my college fees. I have my wife and 2 children who are still young and not in school yet, I will have a bit of money to take with us but not a huge wad! We will be staying with my sister so we dont even have to pay rent but we will contribute to the house hold, and we will both be finding 20 hrs works a week each.

thanks
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice
Default Re: Do you need x amount in bank for student visa?

also, which is a good agent to deal with the student visa, I rang a couple and they keep saying we dont really deal with student visa's.
thanks
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by werty1
also, which is a good agent to deal with the student visa, I rang a couple and they keep saying we dont really deal with student visa's.
thanks
Hi, we were originally going out on a student visa and didnt need to show any proof of savings, I did it all online which will save you agent fees, it is very simple. Find a course you want, register for it, they will then issue you with a COE number, then online through evisa you can answer the relevant questions and they will contact you. I found it useful to have a fax machine too, one of those all in one printers are good, as I scanned birth certificates and marriage certificates and emailed them everything. I dont think it took even 2 months from start to finish when I received email confirmation of my visa. Just be aware it will be pricey!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

excellent thank you, he course starts feb so we will start applying next month. House is up for sale this week too! Im sure we will be ok financially as we will make a fair bit on the sale of house which should sell easily.
thanks
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by werty1
excellent thank you, he course starts feb so we will start applying next month. House is up for sale this week too! Im sure we will be ok financially as we will make a fair bit on the sale of house which should sell easily.
thanks
Good luck with the house sale and with the course. We are off on the 6th October hooray
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I am also going over on a student visa. I have been accepted on a course which starts in Jan, but they have said that if the house sale falls through I can move back to the July starting course. We certainly couldn't afford to do it without selling the house.

We also thought it would be easy to sell, that was a year ago in May. We had a survey done today, so hopefully it will actually sell this time. We have had two other sales lined up which didn't get as far as the survey. I
A couple of people I work with have recently put their houses up for sale too and thought they would find buyers easily. Over a month later and one has had an offer which was too low, and the other hasn't even had a viewing. It is selling for £16k less than it was origionaly advertised at (not a high priced house to begin with) and £8k less than the first offer we had which fell through.

I am not trying to sound pessimistic, but I have heared so many things recently about people not being able to sell their houses, or the sale falling through.
Febuary really isn't very far away.

Good luck
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I am also going over on a student visa. I have been accepted on a course which starts in Jan, but they have said that if the house sale falls through I can move back to the July starting course. We certainly couldn't afford to do it without selling the house.

We also thought it would be easy to sell, that was a year ago in May. We had a survey done today, so hopefully it will actually sell this time. We have had two other sales lined up which didn't get as far as the survey. I
A couple of people I work with have recently put their houses up for sale too and thought they would find buyers easily. Over a month later and one has had an offer which was too low, and the other hasn't even had a viewing. It is selling for £16k less than it was origionaly advertised at (not a high priced house to begin with) and £8k less than the first offer we had which fell through.

I am not trying to sound pessimistic, but I have heared so many things recently about people not being able to sell their houses, or the sale falling through.
Febuary really isn't very far away.

Good luck
Yes I know but honestly this house will be snapped up escpeially as its such a good price we have lots of viewings alreay lined up. My mother said she will lend us the money if for some reason it doesnt sell.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly what these people were saying, and what I thought. We also had someone register an interest in our house a month ago, but said they had to sell their house, but had no worries that it would sell very quickly, as they are all in their area. Well not that quick obviously.

I really hope it does sell quickly for you, it is such a horrible stressful thing trying to sell your house, espeically if you feel restricted by time.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:02 am
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

Check out Paul&Nic's contributions. He wrote lots of great information on the student visa process. He did find getting the 20 hours/week work almost impossible though...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436169