Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do you need a visa before removal of personal effects?

Do you need a visa before removal of personal effects?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Exod-us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you need a visa before removal of personal effects?

Hi guys. I have a job in Geelong, Victoria which is starting in August 2011. My company won't apply for my permanent visa until 2 months before because "immigration won't look at it". We were planning on selling up and shipping everything out in June 2011 as we know it is likely to take around 10 weeks to get our stuff over there.
Do I need to prove that I have a visa and a place to ship 2 containers worth of stuff to before the removal firms will touch it?
Thanks for your advice.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need a visa before removal of personal effects?

We had to prove visa status before shipping.

Are the company sponsoring you for ENS? I don't think I would leave it until two months before although agree you don't need to apply now for a job starting in August next year.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Wow!! That was quick!
Yes - I'm a doctor.

Waiting for a visa before shipping stuff out would be a pain; guess it would have to go into storage.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

When I moved here from the states, they did not require any visa status. All I provided was address to ship my stuff. But when clearing stuff from the AQIS ( Qarantine/Customs ) I have to provide 100 points ID ( Driver's Licence and Medicate Card is enough).
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exod-us
Hi guys. I have a job in Geelong, Victoria which is starting in August 2011. My company won't apply for my permanent visa until 2 months before because "immigration won't look at it". We were planning on selling up and shipping everything out in June 2011 as we know it is likely to take around 10 weeks to get our stuff over there.
Do I need to prove that I have a visa and a place to ship 2 containers worth of stuff to before the removal firms will touch it?
Thanks for your advice.
Every moving company we looked at wanted a photocopy of the visa grant letter before they would put anything in the container.

As for waiting until 2 months before, that's just crazy! They can apply any time with the start date of your employment being stated as August 2011. From what I remember the visa will be granted with a validity of 28 days before start of employment. What if it takes more than 8 weeks for the decision? Are the employers willing to wait for you?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exod-us
Thanks for your advice.
Some firms will ship, some won't. A bigger question though which you should ask yourselves is - what will you do if for some reason the job offer falls through or the visa isn't granted.........
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys.

All valid points. I have managed to compromise on getting the documents for the visa application sent off late April. I'm an eternal optimist - they seem to know what they are doing and I have already signed a contract so I'm hoping it all goes swimmingly.

Guess I'll have to ask each of the removals companies whether they need the visa before shipping. Wonder when I should book the flights......!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:43 pm
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

You do have to complete an unaccompanied Personal effects statement for Australian quarantine too, usually before they ship the goods. The forms asks your intention for coming to Australia, such as tourist, temporary residence and the length of stay. So that may be a bit tricky to complete if you have not got your visa at the time that you are submitting it?