Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

DO WE ACCEPT OR PUSH FOR LAFHA OR DECLINE OFFER??

DO WE ACCEPT OR PUSH FOR LAFHA OR DECLINE OFFER??

Old May 9th 2008, 9:35 am
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all
Default DO WE ACCEPT OR PUSH FOR LAFHA OR DECLINE OFFER??

Hi all,

Now where do we start, if i go on please bear with me (no pun intendid claire bear) anyways, we spoke to hubbies managing director on wednesday morning and LAFHA was discussed but was not clarified if they would be doing it, anyways we recieved the Offer of Employment this morning, and it does not include LAFHA, it does say "just to confirm LAFHA is not offered as part of the terms of employment " now we was really banking on this being offered as we have 4 children and the wages are not great about $55k we have managed to find a school that we do not have to pay the $4500 fees per yr per child and also we can also apply for exemption of govt school fees once we are over there as we have 4 children going to school and husband is not on a high wage, now the question is should we push for the LAFHA before we sign the offer? we hopefully will have about £35/40k when we arrive but we really wanted to use this for a Vehicle and bond etc for rental when we get there, any advice/responce would help me out

kind regards
Michell
Old May 9th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DO WE ACCEPT OR PUSH FOR LAFHA OR DECLINE OFFER??

Originally Posted by michell
Hi all,

Now where do we start, if i go on please bear with me (no pun intendid claire bear) anyways, we spoke to hubbies managing director on wednesday morning and LAFHA was discussed but was not clarified if they would be doing it, anyways we recieved the Offer of Employment this morning, and it does not include LAFHA, it does say "just to confirm LAFHA is not offered as part of the terms of employment " now we was really banking on this being offered as we have 4 children and the wages are not great about $55k we have managed to find a school that we do not have to pay the $4500 fees per yr per child and also we can also apply for exemption of govt school fees once we are over there as we have 4 children going to school and husband is not on a high wage, now the question is should we push for the LAFHA before we sign the offer? we hopefully will have about £35/40k when we arrive but we really wanted to use this for a Vehicle and bond etc for rental when we get there, any advice/responce would help me out

kind regards
Michell
Hi Michell

Almost same predicament we are in. Although we have just one child and my salary is higher than yours. Anyway, heres our situation:
The company I work for has offered me a job with their Sydney branch, and as part of this, have offered a relocation package and an outline of the wage, which is a salary of $85,000. I am not told whether this salary includes superannuation or not. I am not told whether this includes LAFHA or not. I know that they are right now in the process of getting a 457 for us. They have sponsored UK people before so they are not new to this.
I was going to bring up the LAFHA and NOVATED (Car lease) subjects to them but so far, my OH says to me that since we are just three people (wife, I and 9 year old girl), we should not "rock the boat" and just be glad to get the relocation package and the salary and just move there. OH thinks we should be ok in OZ with that salary and she will be working too as hairdresser. I am not convinced but as ever I am a bit pessimist.

If I do ask for LAFHA and the employer decided to retract the offer, I am never going to be able to live it down, specially, the fact that I have destroyed OH and my girl's dream of living in OZ.

If anyone can give us a third party point of view, maybe that'd help.

Sorry Michell, didn't want to start another thread on this subject so posting this alongside yours. I believe people who'll answer, will probably address both of our fears.

In contrast to us, you do have a big savings behind you, which should help.
Old May 9th 2008, 12:17 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Syedney
Hi Michell

Almost same predicament we are in. Although we have just one child and my salary is higher than yours. Anyway, heres our situation:
The company I work for has offered me a job with their Sydney branch, and as part of this, have offered a relocation package and an outline of the wage, which is a salary of $85,000. I am not told whether this salary includes superannuation or not. I am not told whether this includes LAFHA or not. I know that they are right now in the process of getting a 457 for us. They have sponsored UK people before so they are not new to this.
I was going to bring up the LAFHA and NOVATED (Car lease) subjects to them but so far, my OH says to me that since we are just three people (wife, I and 9 year old girl), we should not "rock the boat" and just be glad to get the relocation package and the salary and just move there. OH thinks we should be ok in OZ with that salary and she will be working too as hairdresser. I am not convinced but as ever I am a bit pessimist.

If I do ask for LAFHA and the employer decided to retract the offer, I am never going to be able to live it down, specially, the fact that I have destroyed OH and my girl's dream of living in OZ.

If anyone can give us a third party point of view, maybe that'd help.

Sorry Michell, didn't want to start another thread on this subject so posting this alongside yours. I believe people who'll answer, will probably address both of our fears.

In contrast to us, you do have a big savings behind you, which should help.
Hi thanks for the post, this is very much like us, but they are not offering a relocation package either, what they are agreeing to pay for is,

• Migration Agent Fees of $2,400.0 (excluding GST plus expenses and disbursements). The Migration Agent will be ***********. On return of your signed contract I will engage the Migration Agent and send a form to you to be signed for you to appoint them as your Migration Agent also.

• Visa Lodgement Fees to a maximum of $525.00.

• Costs for the basic health check and police checks required to be undertaken for the visa application. These will be paid by you then reimbursed by **** production of reciept once your employment has commenced

• No other costs associated with the visa application or relocation will be reimbursed by ****

so this is also the predicament we are in, do we push for it , as we have 4 children of school age and the wages are not great so any help concerning LAFHA would be a benefit, do we put up and shut up and accept the job, or do we decline the job offer, this we realy dont wan to do as it is hard enough getting a sponsor to start with, or another thing me and hubby have been discussing is ringing them after the weekend and ask them if they wont put in the offer the LAFHA, will they agree to RSMS or EMS after hubbies 3 mth probation is up and have them put this on the offer instead,

what do other BE think, and what if they say no to this also??

michell
Old May 9th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

You need to look at whether you will be able to survive on $55k after tax supporting 6 people. Will you be decreasing the qulaity of lifestyle to a point whereby you regret moving to Oz in the first place?

I personally would not be able to live on this salary (say what you may) and I am a single person with no obligations.

Before insisting you have LAFHA, maybe try find out if other people were offered this. If you insist they may pull the offer...
Old May 9th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

Hi thanks for the post, this is very much like us, but they are not offering a relocation package either, what they are agreeing to pay for is,

• Migration Agent Fees of $2,400.0 (excluding GST plus expenses and disbursements). The Migration Agent will be ***********. On return of your signed contract I will engage the Migration Agent and send a form to you to be signed for you to appoint them as your Migration Agent also.

• Visa Lodgement Fees to a maximum of $525.00.

• Costs for the basic health check and police checks required to be undertaken for the visa application. These will be paid by you then reimbursed by **** production of reciept once your employment has commenced

• No other costs associated with the visa application or relocation will be reimbursed by ****

so this is also the predicament we are in, do we push for it , as we have 4 children of school age and the wages are not great so any help concerning LAFHA would be a benefit, do we put up and shut up and accept the job, or do we decline the job offer, this we realy dont wan to do as it is hard enough getting a sponsor to start with, or another thing me and hubby have been discussing is ringing them after the weekend and ask them if they wont put in the offer the LAFHA, will they agree to RSMS or EMS after hubbies 3 mth probation is up and have them put this on the offer instead,

what do other BE think, and what if they say no to this also??

michell
with a 457 visa you don't NEED to have LAFHA! to be honest you would probably be better off by paying tax and getting the basics like school and basic medicare.

when we went over we were told that we would be entitled to the medicare only if paying tax and that we'd get the schooling. - i dont know if this is the case or not! someone may be able to help with this! like i said were we on a 457 which is generally what they offer to get you there quick and then once onshore apply for the perm visa there! it's all tax / gst deductable for the business' that sponsor so they don't lose out! it may be of bennifit to you if that you want in the contract that you'd want to proceed asap with the rsms or ems!

Last edited by sam mick kurt; May 9th 2008 at 12:33 pm.
Old May 9th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam mick kurt
with a 457 visa you don't NEED to have LAFHA! to be honest you would probably be better off by paying tax and getting the basics like school and basic medicare.

when we went over we were told that we would be entitled to the medicare only if paying tax and that we'd get the schooling. - i dont know if this is the case or not! someone may be able to help with this! like i said were we on a 457 which is generally what they offer to get you there quick and then once onshore apply for the perm visa there! it's all tax / gst deductable for the business' that sponsor so they don't lose out! it may be of bennifit to you if that you want in the contract that you'd want to proceed asap with the rsms or ems!

I agree that we don't have to have LAFHA, but imo, if it makes a difference between 10 to 20k on your salary, I say get it!

I am just not sure why asking for it could become a sticky point for the employer. My understanding is that it costs nothing to them (or almost nothing!) but just is a bit of hassle...I think, correct me if I am wrong, the employer needs to justify the provision of LAFHA but this is simple process and not unique. Also, they may have to declare this for auditing purposes.

You know what, Michell, this is my plan and you're welcome to use it:

I am going to gather everything about LAFAH from the employer's point of view and highlight the good points, like no efforts from employers etc.. and then show them how much difference it will make to my ability to live decently in Sydney, and then ask them if they would consider it (not threaten them, just would they consider it)

See what you think of this?

PS: Anyone can back up my OH who claims that $85k a year can give you a decent (not rockefeller but neither Stepson & son!) standards of living in Sydney?

Come on guys, please help us. We could soon be on your side!

Last edited by Syedney; May 9th 2008 at 2:19 pm. Reason: name spelt worngly
Old May 10th 2008, 2:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

They can't do RSMS in Sydney, so it will have to be ENS. Is your husband eligible and why are they not willing to do this immediately?