Diploma of Community Welfare Work to PR

Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

BGA4444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diploma of Community Welfare Work to PR

Hi,

Has anyone had any problems lately gaining PR status after completing their Diploma of Community Welfare Work because it was seen as too short, or other reasons. (Been reading some of the older threads on this and just a bit concerned)

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Diploma of Community Welfare Work to PR

There was a thread a while back about a friend of a friend who had finished the course and was told it wouldn't lead to PR but I don't think the entire story came out in the end. I can't really remember. The course on the CRICOS website is 104 weeks so it should be fine., May be you should check with someone in the know more than me!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

I read the thread thanks, that's why I'm a bit worried as considering this route as an option! I've PM'd the person your'e referring to, so hopefully may get an update. (Hope it worked out for them in the end)
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

So do I as I might end up doing the course in a few years time myself!

Good luck.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:54 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BGA4444
I read the thread thanks, that's why I'm a bit worried as considering this route as an option! I've PM'd the person your'e referring to, so hopefully may get an update. (Hope it worked out for them in the end)
Dear BGA,

Respected migration agents have many concerns about this, not the least that there are allegedly as many students going down this route as there are welfare jobs in Australia and that the work experience requirement is illusory at best. If an education agent is involved, whoever is promoting this course to you is probably taking 20-30% of the student fees as a commission. Caveat emptor.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BGA4444
Hey

Did not get your PM, but just to let you know I have not heard about the outcome of the appeal as yet, it can take up to 11 months apparently! I do have a friend who is putting her PR in after finishing this course at the moment and will of course post on here as soon as I hear about either of them. I have another semester to go on my course and am just trying to remain positive about the future, what else can I do, not had any advice from migration experts stating what George has commented on and I have contacted a few.

Here's hoping!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi Cathy,

(Not sure why PM not received?). Thanks for replying, this has got me quite worried as if I go down this route then it really is make or break for me to get PR because of my age, I'll only get one shot! I've got similar work experience to back it up but no formal qualifications. When they're back in the office on Monday, I'll see if I can get any clarification on this. I'll post it on here if anything comes to light. I hope that everything goes well with your friends appeal and hope all goes well with your PR
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Does anyone know if the 2 yr Diploma in Community Welfare is all that is required in order to apply for PR, or do you have to complete Certs 3 and 4 prior to the Diploma?

Does the TAFE assist with obtaining the work experience of 1 year? If I understand it correctly this only requirs 20 hours per week to be classed as full time.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Diploma is fine, I have no idea about the TAFE helping you find work, mine doesn't, but some might.
I would be extreamly suprised if they counted 20 hours a week as full time. Could you be getting confused with the amount of hours you are allowed to work per week on a student visa?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:22 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Diploma is fine, I have no idea about the TAFE helping you find work, mine doesn't, but some might.
I would be extreamly suprised if they counted 20 hours a week as full time. Could you be getting confused with the amount of hours you are allowed to work per week on a student visa?
Dear BGA,

It's the requirement tht the course include at least 400 hours of professionally supervised fieldwork, in two separate placements that I worry about, see http://www.aiwcw.org.au/downloads/1182-INFO-2006.pdf . But the good news is that of all the assessing bodies, the AIWCW is probably the most approachable, and you may find it easier to get that work experience - given the cultural advantages that you may have - than many other such students. Good luck. Course structure, to answer your question, depends on whether the Certificate courses are a part of the Diploma. Obviously a Certificate course by itself is useless for a non-trade qualification.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Hi Pumpkin Blossom

Thanks for replying, I thought the classification for work experience was as follows:

Specific work experience

You must have been employed:

* for at least 20 hours a week
* in a paid position
* at a skilled level in your nominated occupation or in a closely related occupation on the SOL.

Which is why I assumed that 20 hours a week work experience would be ok to get the extra points.

Hi George

Thanks, I'll give them a ring and ask the question. I would be looking to start in February 2010. Fingers crossed because as you know going down the study route is proably my only option.