DIMIA Service Standards

Old Jun 19th 2006, 4:37 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold
Default DIMIA Service Standards

I've sent Medical, PCC on 28th March 2006 and still waiting. I’m really running out of time as I have to re-new my contract for another 3 years with this company at the end of this month. I've emailed the CO 2 times since sending the Meds and PCCs.

So at last, I called DIMIA today. Then managed to press the numbers till the call reaches to the operator. With the waiting time, it took 11 minutes to reach the operator. She verified my details, case number etc and just asked me to email the case officer. WoW, what a helpful response I got!
If I can email the officer, why should I call all the way from here?

I already emailed the case officer twise and got the usual “internal checks” reply from him. I am really wondering whether the fees they charge is worth for the service we get.
It is UNBELIEVABLE the service level of DIMIA.
No need to be DIMIA, if anyone answer calls like that in my company and provide such a poor service to customers, we will be out of business very soon.

Trust me, if this happens to any Australian living in my country, they will get pissed off and start complaining how primitive our procedures and systems are, how weak the level of English etc.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 8:54 am
Just Joined

mike/family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DIMIA Service Standards

Originally Posted by bru
I've sent Medical, PCC on 28th March 2006 and still waiting. I’m really running out of time as I have to re-new my contract for another 3 years with this company at the end of this month. I've emailed the CO 2 times since sending the Meds and PCCs.

So at last, I called DIMIA today. Then managed to press the numbers till the call reaches to the operator. With the waiting time, it took 11 minutes to reach the operator. She verified my details, case number etc and just asked me to email the case officer. WoW, what a helpful response I got!

I already emailed the case officer twise and got the usual “internal checks” reply from him. I am really wondering whether the fees they charge is worth for the service we get.
No need to be DIMIA, if anyone answer calls like that in my company and provide such a poor service to customers, we will be out of business very soon.

Trust me, if this happens to any Australian living in my country, they will get pissed off and start complaining how primitive our procedures and systems are, how weak the level of English etc.
We are in the same position as we sent our med/pcc off on the 13th march and still no reply.We need to be there for the 30th of june.We are on a 136 MODL independant but have not yet called our CO or e mailed but we are today calling our agent.We have a new email address which is
Please don't post email addresses on the forum, use the private message facility
Let me know how you get on.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 19th 2006 at 10:03 am.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

We lodged our 136 MODL, perfect application through an agent on 16th December and we got our case officer about 3 weeks ago.

Our case officer now wants some additional information, and by the time that is submitted and visa grant is done it will be nearly 8 months.

So I suggest you lot take a chill pill - and realise the work load and number of other people who are way before who are still waiting.

You do read on these threads about super quick timescales, which seem to be one offs !

Our agent did advise that the official timescales can be upto 12 months which is why they recommend you dont front load unless you can commit to the short validation timelines.

Angela
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bru

DIMIA works the same as any Aussie govt dept & they have procedures they have to follow. They do advise people not to give up homes, jobs, contracts etc until the visa is granted, and you will just have to wait your turn with everyone else.
I advise you to get used to the way they work so that you are prepared for red tape and procedures when you arrive here.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:44 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
DIMIA works the same as any Aussie govt dept & they have procedures they have to follow. They do advise people not to give up homes, jobs, contracts etc until the visa is granted, and you will just have to wait your turn with everyone else.
I advise you to get used to the way they work so that you are prepared for red tape and procedures when you arrive here.
I just can't help but wonder if the UK government is that much quicker in taking decisions or following procedures. I know the Dutch government isn't for that matter

Cheers,
Miranda
Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tum]

I think when people are in this process, the whole thing is stressful and so timescales become agonising. But really from what the process used to be I am led to believe its quick now.

Any small set back seems like a drama (speaking from my own application)

Best advice I recieved on BEP was to sit back and carry on with your life - but that's easier said than done.

angelax
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:19 pm
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I was surprised today the way they responded to the call. They answered with the intention to get rid of the caller than helping the caller.
I would not have called them if they gave me a proper answer via email.

I see two issues here.
1. The entire application process lacks proper feedback and/or a status update leading to loads of confusions and misunderstandings. Mostly they expect and HOPE everyone to read their website and follow the instructions.
They do have a well document website describing possible scenarios and details. What they have forgotten is that not all applicants are capable of finding the required information from web sites. For example, I know countries where they do not have proper internet connections.

2. I do not think the officers understand the applicant's situation. We are not asylum seekers who can kill time waiting for a decision.
It is not possible for us to call our families and friends all of a sudden and say, “hey.. we are leaving this country next month”. Further, we are skilled workers. A Skilled worker can not simply leave a job the very next day or until finish the job. For example, in my case I work on contract basis and usually have to sign for 3 yrs. The company I work renegotiate with me when sign the contract. Now that is due at the end of this month.
It is not right to simply sign a contract and then leave the job to Australia for the sake of personal benefits. I do not mind doing it if such situations can not be preventable due to unavoidable reasons. But I do not rate this situation as unavoidable.

This is all due to the fact of not having a proper feedback, status update process in place for applications.

Not having enough time to respond is not at all an excuse. They can easily automate the process and provide us with a password with tentative date for each step, so that we know where we stand. Am I asking a big thingy here? No I do not think so.
They must be having enough historical data to do even a country wise, visa type wise, occupation wise analysis for each applicant so that they can pin point to the closest accuracy when the applicant can expect medicals, PCC etc.

Here we have a situation where the skilled employees are required to wait without knowing what is going on until get the VISA.

That is why I was very frustrated during last couple of weeks about this entire process. It is true that we fly to Australia for a better lifestyle and future. On the other hand, most of the news and the exhibition etc, they do call us and invite us to come and settle. So I am really confused who is who in this process.

Finally, It is easier to find where I stand by using google earth than finding the status of my application from DIMIA..

Last edited by bru; Jun 19th 2006 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=bru]Hi,

I can empathise with your situation, but I think you will find most folk on this site are in similar situations.

1. My son is supposed to start an apprenticeship in 6 weeks - does He start it, then leave (this job is a golden ticket for a 16 yr old boy) or does He not start then we dont get a visa???????

2. My house is on market, what if I sell it? - then dont get visa.

3. I had a really good offer of employment last month, was it worth starting the job going on a probation period, or did I sit tight (as it happened stayed in the job I am in now) - will I regret not taking the opportunity if I dont get a visa??

All ifs and buts but its a journey of difficult decisions, and not an easy process to go through.

I think you raise some valid points with regards to making the process more user friendly, however we are applying to a successful desireable country and the criteria is strict, to be honest this is part of the appeal for our family that if we get there, we will have done it on our merit.

Good luck anyway
angela
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bru
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I was surprised today the way they responded to the call. They answered with the intention to get rid of the caller than helping the caller.
I would not have called them if they gave me a proper answer via email.

I see two issues here.
1. The entire application process lacks proper feedback and/or a status update leading to loads of confusions and misunderstandings. Mostly they expect and HOPE everyone to read their website and follow the instructions.
They do have a well document website describing possible scenarios and details. What they have forgotten is that not all applicants are capable of finding the required information from web sites. For example, I know countries where they do not have proper internet connections.

2. I do not think the officers understand the applicant's situation. We are not asylum seekers who can kill time waiting for a decision.
It is not possible for us to call our families and friends all of a sudden and say, “hey.. we are leaving this country next month”. Further, we are skilled workers. A Skilled worker can not simply leave a job the very next day or until finish the job. For example, in my case I work on contract basis and usually have to sign for 3 yrs. The company I work renegotiate with me when sign the contract. Now that is due at the end of this month.
It is not right to simply sign a contract and then leave the job to Australia for the sake of personal benefits. I do not mind doing it if such situations can not be preventable due to unavoidable reasons. But I do not rate this situation as unavoidable.

This is all due to the fact of not having a proper feedback, status update process in place for applications.

Not having enough time to respond is not at all an excuse. They can easily automate the process and provide us with a password with tentative date for each step, so that we know where we stand. Am I asking a big thingy here? No I do not think so.
They must be having enough historical data to do even a country wise, visa type wise, occupation wise analysis for each applicant so that they can pin point to the closest accuracy when the applicant can expect medicals, PCC etc.

Here we have a situation where the skilled employees are required to wait without knowing what is going on until get the VISA.

That is why I was very frustrated during last couple of weeks about this entire process. It is true that we fly to Australia for a better lifestyle and future. On the other hand, most of the news and the exhibition etc, they do call us and invite us to come and settle. So I am really confused who is who in this process.

Finally, It is easier to find where I stand by using google earth than finding the status of my application from DIMIA..
Angela Marie makes so very valid points - you are not the only one in this situation, remember, and it is a much quicker process than only a couple of years ago.

Every call you make slows up the work in the office - maybe that is why they were keen to get you off the line, so that they could get on with the business of granting visas?
While the idea of a constantly updated website is a good one, think of the extra time involved putting in the details of what has been done at each stage - that again will slow the process. each visa has so many different needs and "pieces" to it that while desirable, I think such an idea is a way off.
Regarding your contract. Are you seriously saying that you sign a contract that cannot be terminated on either side? Most contracts allow a few months notice to be given be either party. If this is not the case, then I feel for you, but you can always make a validation trip.

And remember - noone has the right to emigrate to Australia, we are privileged if they allow us to do so. Its their country, and if you don't like their processes maybe you should be looking elsewhere.

Finally - I love the bit about Google earth
Old Jun 19th 2006, 2:23 pm
bru
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And remember - noone has the right to emigrate to Australia, we are privileged if they allow us to do so. Its their country, and if you don't like their processes maybe you should be looking elsewhere.
I can provide a 2 month notice, even after the very next day of signing the new contract.
Your suggestion for the validation trip is in fact our plan B now.

I know it's their country..
If DIMIA think like what you have written above, then I can understand the delay.
thanks for the hint..
Old Jun 19th 2006, 3:01 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I think in the UK we dont have a comparison to DIMIA, I`m sure its called THE GATES OF HEAVEN where theres a wee guy standing there screaming, book your house and claim the free money available to all.

Originally Posted by tum
I just can't help but wonder if the UK government is that much quicker in taking decisions or following procedures. I know the Dutch government isn't for that matter

Cheers,
Miranda
Old Jun 19th 2006, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
I think in the UK we dont have a comparison to DIMIA, I`m sure its called THE GATES OF HEAVEN where theres a wee guy standing there screaming, book your house and claim the free money available to all.
LOL
Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:46 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Quoted - Bru - We are not asylum seekers who can kill time waiting for a decision.

I take objection to this - do you honestly think asylum seekers are killing time waiting for a decision? Think about their situation, and the reasons why they are seeking asylum in the first place. There is no comparison to the likes of us applying for residence from our comfy homes.

Everyone is in the same boat - its your choice to apply for residence, you just have to accept there are thousands of applications, all like yours waiting to be processed.