Different Type of Question

Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Different Type of Question

Hi Everyone

Strange one for you all, but I'll ask anyway.

It looks like this 36 year old is going to have to do a college course in something or another to get over to Oz.

So first of all anyone got any pointers as to what type of trade course I should go for? Hairdressing, plumbing, electrics etc.

Secondly if I went over on a trade given how hard it can be to find work sometimes, would I be able to seek employment doing anything else or even end up doing something completly different??

I have 8 years before I'm too old to go over.

Richie
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different Type of Question

Originally Posted by richie-318
Hi Everyone

Strange one for you all, but I'll ask anyway.

It looks like this 36 year old is going to have to do a college course in something or another to get over to Oz.

So first of all anyone got any pointers as to what type of trade course I should go for? Hairdressing, plumbing, electrics etc.

Secondly if I went over on a trade given how hard it can be to find work sometimes, would I be able to seek employment doing anything else or even end up doing something completly different??

I have 8 years before I'm too old to go over.

Richie
Do a course in something you like, not something you think will get you a visa. The skilled lists change constantly, so it's not possible to predict what will be on there in a few years.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

As above. Do something you want to do, not for a visa. You might not get the visa anyway. Personally, I would not even contemplate changing career in order to move to another country.

Have you worked out if you could pass a points test, people over 40 can usually offset the lack of age points with work experience points, but you won't be able to in this scenario. I guess you would need to try and be in a position to apply before 40 as the points reduce at that milestone.

If you get a PR visa you can do any work once in Australia.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I did it, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It took three years from finishing the course to actually get pr, and that didn't look like it was going to happen. Many people have had to leave the country as they just can't find an employer who either wants to, or is capable if sponsoring them.

Also, they are now asking people to give evidence that you will return to your home country at the end of your course. It is only going to get harder for students to stay, and it is already near impossible.

If you don't mind wasting the thousands of $$ for a course, having restricted work rights, and then a high chance of having to leave, go for it. Do something you enjoy as it is unlikely to help you visa wise.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think he was actually asking about studying in Australia? But if that is what OP meant, then yes, that is an even worse idea.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh ok. Lol.

In that case, the only thing which I would train in (not in Australia) would be nursing. Most things you really can't tell if it will still be there in a few years time. That and sponsorship is far easier to find for a nurse than most occupations, which can cut out part of the amount of experience needed.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 11:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Ahhhh ok. Lol.

In that case, the only thing which I would train in (not in Australia) would be nursing. Most things you really can't tell if it will still be there in a few years time. That and sponsorship is far easier to find for a nurse than most occupations, which can cut out part of the amount of experience needed.
A while ago I would have agreed.

However I no longer think that is the case. Given the number of unemployed graduates here and the recent cutbacks it would not surprise me if Nursing became much more difficult as an option in future
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all.

I'm still in the UK and was planning to do a part time course at a local college to get a trade qualification under my belt to get me over there. The only problem I could foresee would be work experience.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks to all.

I'm still in the UK and was planning to do a part time course at a local college to get a trade qualification under my belt to get me over there. The only problem I could foresee would be work experience.
Are you not planning to work in the trade then? You should look into e skills assessments, trades are not easy to pass and I am sure that most will need experience.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to all.

people talk of the 5 year plan, 2 to retrain and 3 for experience or 3 to retrain and 2 for experience. Its still 5 years but a very solid route as long as like Dorothy says your occupation is still on the list.