Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

DIAC - Most efficient gov dept known to man?

DIAC - Most efficient gov dept known to man?

Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:18 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIAC - Most efficient gov dept known to man?

Originally Posted by Sam84
Please tell the source of your document. i just had a look at it and no source at all.
That is what they attached along with the covering letter - which, as I've already stated, hasn't had the personal information redacted yet. If you wish to obtain the information, you could always e-mail the department and ask them. Since it has already been dealt with under FOI, it is a matter of public record.

I've attached a screenshot highlighting the relevant FOI request for you to enquire about.

Obtaining copies of the documents

Members of the media can request copies of the above documents by telephoning or emailing the media team.
Telephone: 02 6264 2244
Email: [email protected]

Members of the public can request copies of the above documents by email.

Members of the public can request copies of the above documents by email.
http://www.immi.gov.au/about/foi/foi-disclosures.htm

I've attached all the necessary links you'd need to obtain the same information that I have. It took me less than five minutes to compose the original e-mail to them, and about six weeks to get the results. That should be far less for you since they've already done the work on my request.

I'd like to see evidence for this 200k you've declared as being the correct number. Care to share it?
Attached Thumbnails DIAC - Most efficient gov dept known to man?-disclosure-log-2011.png  
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Sam84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Correct.....you are wrong.

DIAC are public servants headed by Andrew Metcalfe.

He takes his orders from the government's Immigration Minister, Chris Bowen.
Hi,

Thank you for the information. I guess i have to admit now i am no longer in a position to determine wether DIAC is the best ever
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:12 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I guess i have to admit now i am no longer in a position to determine wether DIAC is the best ever

I think we would all be happier if we didn't have bosses telling us what to do Sam
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Hi lonndongeek,

As far as the decision regarding the timeframe and categories of visa applications are concerned, i believe it is the part of the immigration minister ( head of DIAC ?) prerogatives. it is on this basis that i said DIAC is not efficient because the minister decisions has led to a backlog of visa applications. Please correct if i am wrong.
You are wrong.

The minister for immigration tells DIAC what their priorities are and they do as they're told. DIAC themselves (at least in my experience) have been fantastic at processing visa/citizenship applications that have met the criteria set out by the immigration minister.

Don't like what the immigration minister tells DIAC to do? Write to him (http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/contacts/) and tell him he's a knob. If you're already in Australia, write to your federal MP and tell him/her that the immigration minister is a knob and needs to get his priorities straight

Cheers

LG