Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Delayed Migration after Spouse Visa Issued?

Delayed Migration after Spouse Visa Issued?

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

ParkbenchUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Delayed Migration after Spouse Visa Issued?

Hi there,

I am about to apply for my spouse visa, but we may need to delay our migration to Australia for about two years. Should we wait to apply or will the visa still be valid in 2 or 3 years time? Do we need to be in Australia 2 years after the temporayr visa is issued?

Thanks, fantastic forum here
Parkbench
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:43 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delayed Migration after Spouse Visa Issued?

Originally Posted by ParkbenchUK
Hi there,

I am about to apply for my spouse visa, but we may need to delay our migration to Australia for about two years. Should we wait to apply or will the visa still be valid in 2 or 3 years time? Do we need to be in Australia 2 years after the temporayr visa is issued?

Thanks, fantastic forum here
Parkbench
If you were granted a visa then you would need to validate it. I have a 'spouse visa' and i have until October 25th 07 to validate it, but the visa itself is valid for 5 years.
Theres a spouse visa thread in the barbie section for all us spouses!!!! Take a look!! C x
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, does that mean I can validate the visa by just visiting for a short time (holiday) and then come back to the UK and migrate anytime up to 5 years later?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, does that mean I can validate the visa by just visiting for a short time (holiday) and then come back to the UK and migrate anytime up to 5 years later?
To begin with, do you know whether you are eligible for a permanent spouse visa or just a temporary one?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

We are just married, we have been together 2 years prior to marriage but we have no kids so I think I will get a temporary followed by a full one if we are still together after two years (to quote the immi website!)

I dont want to apply and then run into problems if we can't migrate for a couple of years but I dont want to delay now that we are married.

Any advice appreciated, Thanks!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We are just married, we have been together 2 years prior to marriage but we have no kids so I think I will get a temporary followed by a full one if we are still together after two years (to quote the immi website!)

I dont want to apply and then run into problems if we can't migrate for a couple of years but I dont want to delay now that we are married.
Staying overseas on a temporary spouse visa is not a problem provided that case officer at time of deciding on the permanent visa doesn't start doubting your intention to move to Australia.

Also, if your permanent spouse visa is granted offshore you may need to validate it with a holiday in Australia (even if you did the same thing with your temporary visa).