Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Definition of "well settled" for sponsorship

Definition of "well settled" for sponsorship

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:30 am
A mind forever voyaging

Galilite is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Definition of "well settled" for sponsorship

Hi all,

A potential sponsor for a prospective marriage or spouse visa must be "well settled", according to the information booklet. The definition is somewhat vague, I wonder if anyone knows more.

From what I heard so far, a sponsor must either live in Australia for a year and make 36K+, or live for 3 months and make 50K+. I wonder how true is this.

Also - if I spent significant part of the year abroad (after becoming PR), is this money counted as well?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Definition of "well settled" for sponsorship

Originally Posted by Galilite
Hi all,

A potential sponsor for a prospective marriage or spouse visa must be "well settled", according to the information booklet. The definition is somewhat vague, I wonder if anyone knows more.

From what I heard so far, a sponsor must either live in Australia for a year and make 36K+, or live for 3 months and make 50K+. I wonder how true is this.

Also - if I spent significant part of the year abroad (after becoming PR), is this money counted as well?
A permanent resident is supposed to be usually resident in Australia to be able to sponsor their partner. An agent may clarify how that works in practise. An Australian citizen sponsor is not expected to be resident. I haven't read of anyone here who applied at London, Washington, Berlin or onshore asked for proof of earnings for a partner visa.

Unless there has been a sudden change in the rules your worries seem unfounded.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I think you're getting "sponsor" mixed up with "assurer". Bondipom is quite right, your sponsor is usually your partner and they don't have to be resident in Australia if they're Australian citizens. However, if you're asked for a Discretionary Assurance of Support (rare in the UK I've been told - what country are you applying from?) the assurer will have to comply with certain criteria, which include being resident and proving their income.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:33 am
A mind forever voyaging

Galilite is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow thanks for the replies guys.

Guess I've confused you all. I was recently granted PR in Australia and I intend to sponsor my girlfriend when it'll be possible (she's not from UK; unfortunately we couldn't lodge the application together), so this is the story.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thanks for the replies guys.

Guess I've confused you all. I was recently granted PR in Australia and I intend to sponsor my girlfriend when it'll be possible (she's not from UK; unfortunately we couldn't lodge the application together), so this is the story.
All that's needed is that a PR sponsoring for a spouse visa be 'usually resident' in Australia. This means *living* in Australia although there is no minimum period.

A discretionary assurance of support may be requested.

Also - you need to be sure DIMIA are not going to get upset as to why she was not included on your migration visa as PR visas have been cancelled for not giving correct information at the time. If you think there's the slightest chance of a problem (and perhaps even if you don't) get good professional advice *before* any fiance visa application is lodged.

Jeremy