Defacto PR to Citizenship

Old Nov 27th 2002, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Sandgroper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Defacto PR to Citizenship

Myself and my spouse both have enough points to successfully obtain PR through individual applications. We were thinking of making a single application including one of us as a defacto spouse. This way we would only need to pay one appllication fee. Can a defacto spouse get citzenship after two years? We are on a business visa now and Citzenship would be the deciding factor to switch to PR.

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Old Nov 27th 2002, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Defacto PR to Citizenship

Originally posted by Sandgroper
Myself and my spouse both have enough points to successfully obtain PR through individual applications. We were thinking of making a single application including one of us as a defacto spouse. This way we would only need to pay one appllication fee. Can a defacto spouse get citzenship after two years? We are on a business visa now and Citzenship would be the deciding factor to switch to PR.

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Hi Paul

Not sure which visa you will be applying for but here is my situation

Currently on a 457 visa in sydney with my Girlfriend of 6 years as my defacto on the same visa.

Appling for a Skilled independant visa and included my girlfriend as defacto partner on the same application. My agent told me that when / if the application is approved my partner will get the same PR visa as me. Which means that after 2 years we can apply for Citzenship.

My partner's visa will not be tied to me in any way after it has been issued. Which means that if she leaves me after issue nothing can be done to take it away. Unless she commits a crime that renders her PR visa useless.

Hope this helps?

Kieron
Old Nov 27th 2002, 3:58 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defacto PR to Citizenship

Originally posted by Sandgroper
Yes, if you include your de-facto spouse in your application for your skilled visa. If and when your application is approved, you and your de-facto spouse will get permanent visas. The visas will not be conditional on your relationship continuing once you have validated your visas. Of course, if your relationship breaks down before you validate your visas (including after the time your visas are granted but before your first trip to Australia), your situation may get complicated.

If you do not include your de-facto spouse in your skilled visa application, the other option will be to sponsor her for a spouse visa after your own skilled visa is approved. In this case, the spouse visa will be a temporary visa generally valid for 2 years before your spouse applies for a permanent visa, if the relationship is still current after that 2 years. Obviously this will involve the skilled visa fee plus the spouse visa fee.

Peter