De facto 12 month waiver time

Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:31 am
Just Joined

Toolz3101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default De facto 12 month waiver time

My girlfriend and I are looking at applying for the partner visa 820 (801) and are trying to waive the 12 month defacto status as my current visa runs out at the end of September and she is an Australian citizen. We are registering our relationship with Queensland state as it states that the 12 month living together period can be waived under those circumstances. What we are trying to find out, without going to a lawyer, is how much time will be waived from the 12 month minimum as the footnotes on the immigration website do not state a timeframe? Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: De facto 12 month waiver time

Originally Posted by Toolz3101
My girlfriend and I are looking at applying for the partner visa 820 (801) and are trying to waive the 12 month defacto status as my current visa runs out at the end of September and she is an Australian citizen. We are registering our relationship with Queensland state as it states that the 12 month living together period can be waived under those circumstances. What we are trying to find out, without going to a lawyer, is how much time will be waived from the 12 month minimum as the footnotes on the immigration website do not state a timeframe? Thank you in advance.
Can you provide a bit more background? When did you meet, when did you start living together, what visa do you have now, where are you living now. September is a long way off, you might not need to seek any waiver.. but it is hard to say on such limited information.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:49 am
Just Joined

We are in Cairns, Queensland Australia and have been living together since the 1st of December, last month. I have changed my address, been put on the electricity, etc to add to the evidence we need.

I am on an English year working visa which runs out on the 27th of September when I entered Australia last year. Our worry is the visa states a 12 month together period which we will not have matched in September. The notes for the visa however do state the 12 month will be waived if we Register our relationship with the state (which we are about to get signed by a justice of the peace and set off for). It states it in the link below.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...tionship.htm#d

I guess what I am trying to understand is what the minimum time a couple needs to be together is if they successfully register a relationship if the 12 month minimum is waived.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

RURUS is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Cairns, Queensland Australia and have been living together since the 1st of December, last month. I have changed my address, been put on the electricity, etc to add to the evidence we need.

I am on an English year working visa which runs out on the 27th of September when I entered Australia last year. Our worry is the visa states a 12 month together period which we will not have matched in September. The notes for the visa however do state the 12 month will be waived if we Register our relationship with the state (which we are about to get signed by a justice of the peace and set off for). It states it in the link below.

I guess what I am trying to understand is what the minimum time a couple needs to be together is if they successfully register a relationship if the 12 month minimum is waived.
Zero.

You still have to provide evidence that your relationship is exclusive, genuine and continuing.

Under policy, 6 months living together is taken as strong evidence that a relationship is genuine.

Happy NY
Old Jan 1st 2014, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. That has made me and my partner rather happy chappies. Happy New year :-)
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Can you apply for a second WHV - that would definitely give you the time required x
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. That has made me and my partner rather happy chappies. Happy New year :-)
Well it was nice reading, but it is normally 12 months not 6 as you initially thought..
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A regustered relationsh is treated as a marriage. IE you do not need to prove the 12 months living together which is normally required for a de facto Spouse Visa ( and it is 12 not 6, regardless of other misleading info posted here)

Once you have registered your relationship you can apply for the Spouse Visa, providing all the usual proof of relationship and other documents

See Page 18 http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RURUS
Zero.

You still have to provide evidence that your relationship is exclusive, genuine and continuing.

Under policy, 6 months living together is taken as strong evidence that a relationship is genuine.

Happy NY
For a de facto visa 12 months is requried. For married/registered couples no time living together is required.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A regustered relationsh is treated as a marriage. IE you do not need to prove the 12 months living together which is normally required for a de facto Spouse Visa ( and it is 12 not 6, regardless of other misleading info posted here)

Once you have registered your relationship you can apply for the Spouse Visa, providing all the usual proof of relationship and other documents

See Page 18 http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf
The information was not misleading, unless it was misread. If the relationship is registered no period of 'living together' is required. In fact no period of living together is require for any de facto relationship. The requirement is 12 months in a de facto relationship.

The six months living together I mentioned went to the issue of whether a relationship is genuine. This is not conclusive and it is not necessary, but it is taken as 'strong evidence". I trust I have now made this clear enough.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:16 am
Home and Happy

The information was not misleading, unless it was misread. If the relationship is registered no period of 'living together' is required. In fact no period of living together is require for any de facto relationship. The requirement is 12 months in a de facto relationship.

The six months living together I mentioned went to the issue of whether a relationship is genuine. This is not conclusive and it is not necessary, but it is taken as 'strong evidence". I trust I have now made this clear enough.
That is a lot clearer, thank you. However I am sure you will agree that without exceptional circumstances such as religious reasons, one is expected to be able to prove 12 months cohabitation in order to gain a De Facto Visa, as per my earlier link to the Partner booklet.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That is a lot clearer, thank you. However I am sure you will agree that without exceptional circumstances such as religious reasons, one is expected to be able to prove 12 months cohabitation in order to gain a De Facto Visa, as per my earlier link to the Partner booklet.
There is no requirement to prove cohabitation for 12 months, or any other period. The requirement is to be in a 'spousal relationship' for at least the 12 months immediately preceding a visa application. If a couple are not living together, they have to explain why and provide evidence of how they they have kept in touch during periods of separation. This applies to married, registered and other partner relationships.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is no requirement to prove cohabitation for 12 months, or any other period. The requirement is to be in a 'spousal relationship' for at least the 12 months immediately preceding a visa application. If a couple are not living together, they have to explain why and provide evidence of how they they have kept in touch during periods of separation. This applies to married, registered and other partner relationships.
Yes and the best way to prove that it is a genuine spousal relationship is to be living together. Because that is what spouses do. Otherwise it would need to be a pretty compelling case and not having lived together because the couple were dating and had just not got round to it isn't going to cut it.

Would you be prepared to stump up for the application fee if the OP was denied a visa on grounds of not having enough defacto evidence? If not, I think you should stop gambling with other people's money. I find your posts very irresponsible.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:27 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I find your posts very irresponsible.
Agreed
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes and the best way to prove that it is a genuine spousal relationship is to be living together. Because that is what spouses do. Otherwise it would need to be a pretty compelling case and not having lived together because the couple were dating and had just not got round to it isn't going to cut it.

Would you be prepared to stump up for the application fee if the OP was denied a visa on grounds of not having enough defacto evidence? If not, I think you should stop gambling with other people's money. I find your posts very irresponsible.
Yes, the immi website specifically states that "time spent dating does not count towards a de facto relationship".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.