Customs -MP3 songs in Laptop allowed?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

chuckyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs -MP3 songs in Laptop allowed?

I am moving downunder this month in the last week.

I am carrying my laptop with me. I have a huge collection of MP3 songs. Does the Australian customs check this contents of my laptop. I do not have any unlicenced software in my laptop. All I have is MP3 songs.

Is MP3 songs ok to carry in laptop. I am going first time to Australia as an Immigrant. Please give your views and opinions.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

loupyloutoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Customs -MP3 songs in Laptop allowed?

Originally posted by chuckyn

I am carrying my laptop with me. I have a huge collection of MP3 songs. Does the Australian customs check this contents of my laptop. I do not have any unlicenced software in my laptop. All I have is MP3 songs.

Is MP3 songs ok to carry in laptop. I am going first time to Australia as an Immigrant. Please give your views and opinions.

I have no 'official' idea...but thinking allowed, I'd say that apart from the fact that I can't see any reason why they would boot up your laptop in the first place to look at it (although they might, I don't know) I didn't realise that mp3's were illegal...considering that for £40 you can buy an mp3 player for listening to mp3's, surely you would need the mp3's stored somewhere and wouldn't a laptop be an ideal place??? That is not a definate answer, only a guess....you'd have to go and find out...hey if the worst came to it, would you really not go to Oz for the sake of some MP3's??? And also, you could always delete them, there and then in front of officials couldn't you???
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

jetsetter is an unknown quantity at this point

According to copyright law, distributing or obtaining a copyrighted work (such as a music file) without the permission of the copy right holder is against the law.

Some music files are copyrighted, some are not. I'd expect almost all well known tracks to be copyrighted.

I believe Customs/Immi officials are more concerned with other things posing more danger to the country such as drugs, weapons etc. The issue of illegal copies would be an administrative nightmare for immi officials and is more down to the music companies to deal with.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 6:21 am
AkramSMG

What about illigal CDs copies
I have many of Copied CDs
are they going to check for the license?

Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:49 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya chuckyn,

travelled to the USA lots over the years, and all customs won't to see is that it is a that the laptop boots up. (for security reasons)
I have 18gigs on my MP3 player and they never bothered with that.

As to what is on the laptop, I believe that UK customs can clone the hard drive and review it later, both the existing files and those you have deleted!

I don't think they wold care though, given that they are looking for bigger things nowaday's.

Bye
Mrkeh
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

chuckyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chuckyn

Thanks everyone for there suggestions. I feel it is safe to carry on laptop MP3 files.

But about unlicenced software, illegal Cds, I heard there is a hunt for the same. Mainly it is not tolerable for selling illegal CDs.
It appears like using for personal use ok. But selling is taken seriously. I suggest not to risk by carrying illegal Cds and software.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

jetsetter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

If you purchase a CD you are allowed to make a copy provided it is for personal use i.e. using it in your car while the original CD is in your house. Copies for personal use are fine - you just can't sell or distribute them without authorisation.

I'm not certain how customs would react to finding a bundle of copied CDs (I wouldn't risk it - it's illegal, if you didn't purchase the original CD). I think mp3 files on a laptop or mp3 player are less obvious and pose a much lower risk.

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:58 pm
AkramSMG

I'm taking about Software CDs