custody consent from absent partner

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Re: custody consent from absent partner

Originally Posted by cowpeys
hello all

Quick update.
got stat dec and sol letter completed yesterday. cost 140 which was steep but have been messed about by one soliciotr and tried 3 others who appeared clueless so when this solicitor said she had experience of this situation I went with her. she was quick and professional. did letter on fri.checked and signed stat dec on monday.

have sent scanned copy of stat dec and solicitors letter to DIMIA yesterday, telling the officer in no uncertain terms that the father has no parental responsibility...will let you know how I get on.

Julie
Hope you get on ok Julie, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there, best of luck, only thing they might ask for is a certified copy, they seem to like those!
Hope it goes well
Kelly x
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:44 pm
Got Visa

hopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nice

Well I had my directions hearing today, very scary without a solicitor

Now got to re-serve the documents, so looking at process serving companies. Going back to court in a couple of weeks
</IMG>
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:42 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I received confirmation yesterday that we have our first hearing next month. I feel sick - thank god I am using a solicitor as I don't think I could do it by myself. It will be nearly five years since I have seen the s*it that was drunk and was carrying a knife when he brought my 4 yrs old son back from a visit. Got arrested so some justice. He is contesting me taking my son to Oz. We shall see.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

OMG thats pretty harsh, really sorry you have to go through all that! It sucks!!!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 1:11 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

hi all quick update on where i'm at with the whole custody document and consent thing.

1. Have done a thorough search now on the BE forum and have filtered the stuff that doesnt apply to me.
Praise be to the moderators!

2 I have compiled a list of things to take with me to the solicitors on Fri , detailing what will be rquired in my letter to DIMIA.

3. I have sent a query email to DIMIA and am waiting a response, but it appears that they will want me to provide info according to British Law so not expecting too much back from them.

4. I have got an appt with a family law solicitor on Fri morning. However I ahve had real difficulty finding one in my area who knows anything about this field.
This was the 3rd place I tried and they all openly said that they didnt knowwhat would be required

Am just going to take my stuff to solicitors and see what happens, unless anyone knows of a decent FAMILY LAW firm in the PRESTON area.

Will let you know how I get on
JUlie
Hi

If you call social services in your area and speak to people who deal with adoption they usually know the names of good family solicitors in your area. That's what I did and they were great, much better than dealing with a normal solicitor who told us we could'nt do anything about it.

Good luck
Old Apr 29th 2007, 1:33 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Originally Posted by 4amigos
We are in a simular situation. I am married with 2 children my youngest with my hubby and my son with my ex partner who left when my son was 7 weeks old. He "reappeared" when my son was 3 through a solicitors letter asking for contact, i agreed to the contact but the father didnt show, and then he didnt show again in court (i have all the court letters..with contact denied stamped on one due to him not appearing). We were never married, my son was born in 1999 and he has never paid maintainance (lovely man). Does this mean we just need to do a dec letter or do we still have to go through the courts. Im a little confused by the previous posts, they all seem to contradict eachother.
My husband is a wonderful dad to my boy and he treats both his children just the same, he would love to adopt him but we live in Spain and are not sure how to go about doing it from here.
Good luck to everyone i hope it works out for you all. It's so stressful
Hi

My story is very similar to yours and we are curently aplying for my OH to adopt my daughter. As the birth father has had no contact since birth then the order goes through on "abandenment" this applies if the father has had no contact for the last 4 years. It has been supprisingly easy but saying that we have not got it through yet. You need to go to a family solicitor who will then apply to court, a social worker will then be put on your case and interviews the birth mother or father , child and then the adopting parent. They file a report and then it goes to the courts. They do have to try and contact the birth parent but if they don't reply then it goes through anyway. If the birth parent suddely raises their heads and says NO they apparently would have to have a very good reason to do this. We were advised that the courts would usually do what they consider best for the child and whats best is a solid, loving family. Not a parent that disapears into thin air.

It does'nt take to long to do, solicitor quoted £1000 - £1500 if uncontested. Time scales 6 mths ish. After that your home free and no worries. We hope.

Good luck

Last edited by smoggieswilltravel; Apr 29th 2007 at 1:41 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 29th 2007, 1:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

My story is very similar to yours and we are curently aplying for my OH to adopt my daughter. As the birth father has had no contact since birth then the order goes through on "abandenment" this applies if the father has had no contact for the last 4 years. It has been supprisingly easy but saying that we have not got it through yet. You need to go to a family solicitor who will then apply to court, a social worker will then be put on your case and interviews the birth mother or father , child and then the adopting parent. They file a report and then it goes to the courts. They do have to try and contact the birth parent but if they don't reply then it goes through anyway. If the birth parent suddely raises their heads and says NO they apparently would have to have a very good reason to do this. We were advised that the courts would usually do what they consider best for the child and whats best is a solid, loving family. Not a parent that disapears into thin air.
I would just add here is that while UK adoptions are normally recognised in Australia, adoption in Australia is often very difficult.

State and Territory so-called "welfare" agencies generally have an anti-adoption attitude. Anecdotally, for example, they will not usually let relatives adopt a child. And they will usually insist on Australian citizenship.

If planning on deferring adoption until after arrival in Australia, get professional advice from an experienced family lawyer in your intended State/Territory of residence.

You also need to assess the risk of the birth parent kicking up a fuss. Again - look at whatever rights the birth parent has (if you leave the process until arriving in Australia, he/she may have more say in the process compared to the UK).

Not a simple issue.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 2:00 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyjs
OMG thats pretty harsh, really sorry you have to go through all that! It sucks!!!
trust me that is only toching the surface. Not to mention having to ensure he doesn't find out where we live, having to leave london because of him and so on. What hacks me off is that I work hard for my money and have to pay for this all whilst he will get legal aid for sitting on benifits for 10 yrs plus. It's just wrong. My son is now concerned that I will make him do a visit with his 'father' withot someone present. I didn't think he would remember the awful experience of his father being dragged away in front of him (literally - five cops and he was high on speed) but he does.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

cocogreen is an unknown quantity at this point

I wanted to ask if I had to ask for written permission (stat. declaration)of my son's(aged 15 years) father for emigration.He was born in 1991, his father's name was not put on the birth certificate and we were never married.Although he has paid maintenance(agreed between ourselves) and sees him 5 or 6 times a year for hols. etc. as he lives in another town. I think he would agree, but I'm not sure if we have to get anything in writing to confirm this? anyone help?
Old May 13th 2007, 3:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cocogreen
I wanted to ask if I had to ask for written permission (stat. declaration)of my son's(aged 15 years) father for emigration.He was born in 1991, his father's name was not put on the birth certificate and we were never married.Although he has paid maintenance(agreed between ourselves) and sees him 5 or 6 times a year for hols. etc. as he lives in another town. I think he would agree, but I'm not sure if we have to get anything in writing to confirm this? anyone help?
You shouldn't need this as the father never had any parental rights (if you are in the UK). However, you might want to get a good family law solicitor to write to DIAC explaining British law as many case officers don't understand their own rules.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Can anyone offer me any words of advice or even empathy.
I got my CO this morning for 136 perm visa application to OZ and part of the requirements are to provide

"Custody document & consent from biological father for Thomas to migrate"

Toms father has seen tom once in 11 years and we do not have his contact details. we were never married but he appears on the birth certificate.

has anyone been in the same boat and can anyone offer me some advice. what will i have to do? will it delay the process bymuch?

I am going to speak to a migration expert on Mon but its such a lot time to agonise!

regards julie
Julie,
You could try:
http://www.marsdenrawsthorn.com/ Who are on Lune Steet in Preston they are meant to be good and also there is http://www.inghams-law.co.uk/ who say they deal with family law on Yell but i'm not too sure of their rep. I have a mate who has just qualified, i'll ask her if she could recommend anyone else in Preston for you tomorrow

hope this helps
Old May 13th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

So if my daughter was born before 2003 and i was never married to her bio father but unfortunately he pays maintenance and does have contact but she has never lived with him or stayed over since she was 2 years old (she's now 8) will i need a stat dec from him???
Old May 13th 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickys
So if my daughter was born before 2003 and i was never married to her bio father but unfortunately he pays maintenance and does have contact but she has never lived with him or stayed over since she was 2 years old (she's now 8) will i need a stat dec from him???
If your daughter was born before 01 December 2003 (in England or Wales) and you never married her father, he has no parental responsibility and you do not need anything from him. A stat dec from you confirming this and that to the best of your knowledge, he has never applied for Parental Responsibility. Where there is regular contact, it is a good idea, if you are not going to open a can of worms, you could get a stat dec from her father confirming he is OK with the proposed move to Australia and this should then satisfy the case officer that, not only is it legal for your daughter to move to Australia, but is also probably in her best interests.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old May 14th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much Tony that's brill, hopefully he'll go along with it as like you say it's in the best interest for my daughter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.