Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Criminal record, lied on WHV, Still approved!

Criminal record, lied on WHV, Still approved!

Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:01 am
Just Joined

The Root is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal record, lied on WHV, Still approved!

Hi there,

I am from Canada and lied on my WHV application for Australia. I said I didn't have a criminal record when in fact I do. The offences are not too serious, but one is a weapons charge. These are from almost 9 years ago and my record is clean since then. I lied because I knew it was my last chance to get the visa due to age restriction and i didn't want to mess it up by being honest! Anyways, I was approved! But now, as my departure date nears I am getting a bit nervous. When I land does Australian immigration have direct access to Canadian criminal records? Wouldn't the have checked for a criminal record during the Visa process if they had access to those records directly? Do they even ask at Aussie immigration if you have a criminal record when you're coming from Canada? Any information to help ease my mind would be very helpful!

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:23 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal record, lied on WHV, Still approved!

They do ask on the landing card if you have ever been convicted of any offence. If you don't declare it you are in breach of the law. If you lie, you might get away with it, but if you ever wish to move to Aus you will get caught out.

Landing Card: http://www.evisastoaustralia.com/section06/customs.pdf

Best not to lie - but I guess it's too late now!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:12 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Root
Hi there,

I am from Canada and lied on my WHV application for Australia. I said I didn't have a criminal record when in fact I do. The offences are not too serious, but one is a weapons charge. These are from almost 9 years ago and my record is clean since then. I lied because I knew it was my last chance to get the visa due to age restriction and i didn't want to mess it up by being honest! Anyways, I was approved! But now, as my departure date nears I am getting a bit nervous. When I land does Australian immigration have direct access to Canadian criminal records? Wouldn't the have checked for a criminal record during the Visa process if they had access to those records directly? Do they even ask at Aussie immigration if you have a criminal record when you're coming from Canada? Any information to help ease my mind would be very helpful!

Thanks.
Everyone gets approved online. During the timeframe of your pending arrival your criminal rap sheet will be sent to Australia. You'll have to declare the conviction or they'll bust you for lieing on the entrance card.

Basically you are not coming in I wouldn't bother.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

The Root is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info tking. Weebie, do you have any particular background for the assumptions you're making? Sounds like a theory to me. I know that when canadians apply for aussie citizenship Canadians are required to provide their own criminal record, notarized and so on, so i dont think they are going to go ahead and do the leg work on every WHV that comes across their desk. Also I could have entered the country immediately after i was approved for the visa, no way they could have had my record sent over before i arrived if i had done that. Regardless Im going to give it a shot, i work in oil and gas so the $1500 flight isn't going to break the bank even if they dont let me in. Im looking for either hard facts or helpful information like what tking gave me, not random theories, so if you have some info to back up your assumptions I would love to hear them. Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:44 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

They don't do criminal records checks when you apply for visas.

They do however look up your passport info on a database and I would assume it allows shows any criminal records as well. If you have a criminal record they will discover it when you go through customs. If you've also lied about it on the form then it won't look good on your part.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Im looking for either hard facts or helpful information like what tking gave me, not random theories, so if you have some info to back up your assumptions I would love to hear them. Thanks.
Ok I'll bite.

1) You've posted on here that you have LIED on a WHV application and you expect sympathy ? And were not talking about a fine for being pissed one night; you alluded to more than one conviction and a weapons charge. DIAC [The Immigration Department] will shit bricks on that one alone.

2) There is a little programme on the TV here called 'Border Patrol'. It regularly shows people who have indicated on their landing card that they do not have criminal convictions yet they are stopped at immigration who magically have a list of their criminal history in front of them.

3) DIAC read this forum also - guess what ? They now know there is a Canadian Citizen coming soon on a WHV [almost certainly male] who may have lied on their application form. Computers can cross-reference very fast now. Canada isn't a third world country I'm sure a persons information can be obtained very quickly.

You may get away with it, you may not. If you do get caught you will be detained, certainly refused entry for lying about a criminal record and put on a plane back to whence you came - and a 3 year ban.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:08 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Canada is a bit different to Britain. Basically the main agreement with Canadian WHV's is that everyone gets criminally checked before they come in. So when a Canadian applys for a WHV to Australia the rap sheet will make it's way to DIAC and Customs.

Canada only lets a few thousand in a year whilst Australia does over 100k working holiday visas a year. Just cause you were approved online doesn't really mean your approved. You'll be done at Border Entry.

You've got nothing to lose but yeah don't hold your breath in getting in. Considering the offence was nine years ago you were better off declaring the offences even though you probably still wouldn't of got in.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:15 pm
Banned

Thanks for the info tking. Weebie, do you have any particular background for the assumptions you're making? Sounds like a theory to me. I know that when canadians apply for aussie citizenship Canadians are required to provide their own criminal record, notarized and so on, so i dont think they are going to go ahead and do the leg work on every WHV that comes across their desk. Also I could have entered the country immediately after i was approved for the visa, no way they could have had my record sent over before i arrived if i had done that. Regardless Im going to give it a shot, i work in oil and gas so the $1500 flight isn't going to break the bank even if they dont let me in. Im looking for either hard facts or helpful information like what tking gave me, not random theories, so if you have some info to back up your assumptions I would love to hear them. Thanks.
Wow you drive a truck earning 100k CAD (which is an average salary in Australia) in some Alberta shithole I'm so jealous lol.

The risk is that if you do get cancelled that's an automatic 3 year minimum ban from Australia. It's not uncommon like the US for people with criminal records to be banned for life. That's the real risk
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:18 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Weebie
Wow you drive a truck earning 100k CAD (which is an average salary in Australia) in some Alberta shithole I'm so jealous lol.
I'm guessing he's coming from Fort McMurray
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations on being a liar and a fraud. Enjoy your Working Holiday and make the most of Australia if you get in because you wont be coming back on any other visa having lied.

I love the way some people think Governments dont share information and are all bumbling around acceting blindly what people tell them. Only the UK does that and lets in every tom dick & harry lol
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Approved visa does not mean guaranteed entry into Australia. Your name may have been crossed reference already to the system. I do know that US, Australia, Canada and the UK share police clearance records. The arrival card will ask for any conviction. I dont know what to say what to write on the arrival card. Good luck on that and just inform us if you made it here.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they regularly show people being refused entry on boarder security as they said they had no police record, and then are flagged up as having one. It is a three year ban then.
The main thing oz looks for is honesty. As soon as they see you have lied, that is it. And it sounds like they are very wise. You obviously didn't learn anything in those years.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Canada is a bit different to Britain. Basically the main agreement with Canadian WHV's is that everyone gets criminally checked before they come in. So when a Canadian applys for a WHV to Australia the rap sheet will make it's way to DIAC and Customs.
Bullshit. You are so full of crap. Where is your evidence of this? From what police agency do DIAC get their information on all Canadians applying for WHVs?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellyj
I love the way some people think Governments dont share information and are all bumbling around acceting blindly what people tell them. Only the UK does that and lets in every tom dick & harry lol
That is not true either. UK does NOT let in every Tom Dick & Harry.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Bullshit. You are so full of crap. Where is your evidence of this? From what police agency do DIAC get their information on all Canadians applying for WHVs?
Your wrong and you live in Butler piss off.

Australian and Canada have a much more involved WHV agreement as Australian citizens are allowed to renew their visas and many other issues which were when the program was renegotiated back in 2007

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.